Thread: RIP Evinrude

Unhappy RIP Evinrude

I've been an Evinrude guy since 1986. I currently run a 1992 Bass Cat, which I bought new. I re-powered in 2010 with a 2010 Evinrude 200 HP. The motor has nearly 1000 hours on it, has been a great motor but has spent more and more time in the shop the past 2 years for repairs. There are differing opinions as to how available parts will be in the future and I don't really want to risk not being able to get parts for it. Buying a new rig is not an option. I love this boat. Yes, its a 1992, but it was totally refurbished a few years ago. I do not want to buy a used motor and don't want to gamble with the last of the new Evinrudes. I've looked at Mercury and Yamaha and decided to go with a 2021 200 Mercury, 4 stroke.

I have 2 questions:
    1. Is it wise to buy the extended warranty, which will cover me for 7 years?
    2. After the break in, how will the Mercury be in gas consumption?

Thanks in advance for sharing your wisdom!

1. ~~~ What will a run-of-the-mill repair cost? What does the warranty cost? Will the warranty offset the repair cost? That's the basic economics way to figure it.

3. Member
    I don't have an Evinrude motor. I have used Mercury products for the last 30 years. I had a 200hp Mercury 2 stroke in 2010 (Pro XS) and now have a 200hp 8 cylinder four stroke Pro XS Mercury since last year. If I compare the two, I think the four stroke is a little me economical.

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Your G1 parts are still readily available and as long as your local dealer is still affiliated with BRP then there should be no issue getting service.

5. Member
    I would personally buy the extended warranty on any brand of outboard engine.... Mercury brand outboards are as good or better than the competition with respect to fuel economy aka Yamaha

6. Member
    I wouldn’t dump any more money in the Evinrude either. I’d go with the Merc and the extended warranty or even a Suzuki 200SS if you have a dealer near by

7. Member
    I would buy the extended warranty however i dont buy mine at the time of purchase. You can buy it at any time until the initial 3yr is up. You can shop the warranty just like anything else.

2023 Phoenix 920 Elite
    2023 Mercury Pro XS 4S

Quote Originally Posted by basscat tyler View Post
    I wouldn’t dump any more money in the Evinrude either. I’d go with the Merc and the extended warranty or even a Suzuki 200SS if you have a dealer near by
    1997 Charger 186 TF
    1997 Yamaha ProV 175

9. iNCORRECT pOLITICALLY
    Most things I turn down the extended warranty but an outboard motor isn't one of them. My Mercury might have an expensive failure one day after the 7 years of warranty is up but well worth the money for 7 years of peace of mind. And if you love your hull as much as you say you do drop a new Merc or Suzy on there and keep on going. If your current motor is keeping you off the water more than it should it's time to repower if you have the financial means to do it.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

The school of hard knocks is a rough way to be educated!

10. Member
    You can get a total of 8 yrs platinum. It covers almost everything. And yes, shop around for it and buy it. Congratulations

11. Member
    With my last Pro XS, I bought a four year aftermarket extended warranty through my Merc service centre. It was a company that they deal with, and one that I had previous positive experience some years before (with an E etc for which they paid for some very costly repairs). The warranty was about a third of the cost of the Mercury factory extended warranty, and, pretty well just as thorough. I actually had to use it one time for that Pro XS as well and had no problems with it. If I keep my current Merc outboard more than three years I will be doing the same. Sometimes aftermarket warranties get a bad rap but not my experience at all.

Gas mileage on my 200 Pro XS 2S was about the same as my 200 4S on a very similar hull.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

12. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    From a mathematical or economic point of view, there is at least 100% markup on outboard extended warranties. Based on nationwide actuarial studies, the manufacturer and selling agency both make a substantial profit, which means that on average, the consumer saves hundreds if not thousands of dollars by keeping his money and paying for needed repairs himself. As with any “insurance,” the question is not whether the odds are in your favor by refusing an extended warranty, but whether you will have the necessary on hand if/when a breakdown [after the original warranty period] occurs.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    From a mathematical or economic point of view, there is at least 100% markup on outboard extended warranties. Based on nationwide actuarial studies, the manufacturer and selling agency both make a substantial profit, which means that on average, the consumer saves hundreds if not thousands of dollars by keeping his money and paying for needed repairs himself. As with any “insurance,” the question is not whether the odds are in your favor by refusing an extended warranty, but whether you will have the necessary on hand if/when a breakdown [after the original warranty period] occurs.
    This.

14. Member
    i dont know anything about the 200 evinrude.but if you had one of the 150 evinrude i would say keep it.but i would not trade that engine off just because i was afraid of parts availability.i would think parts would be available for a 2010 model for several years to come.jmo
    keep working,your neighbor thanks you

15. Member
    I would encourage anyone to get the extended warranty and would want one that transfer to next person if I sold it.

I do not own a Mercury but would not hesitate to own one if the opportunity presented itself.

It's been my experience that outboards do not get good fuel mileage, And the fuel consumption wouldn't be a big factor but a new Merc is gonna be about as good as it gets. New Yamaha too.

Evinrude would be sold or traded as quick as cat can lick it's jazz

16. Member
    Good choice, I love my 200 ProXS 4 stroke.

My new boat came with a 5 year warranty and my dealer said I should wait to purchase the 7 year option. I can purchase it at any time before my 5 years is up and if I have had no issues then I might want to save my money. If I start having issues then I would obviously by those two extra years.

I know this is subjective but my motor seems to be very good with gas unless I'm running WOT. I typically spend more gas driving my boat to the lake than I do driving the boat on the lake.
    Chris

2020 Nitro Z19 Pro w/ 200 ProXS