IPHONE TO HDS CARBON SETUP

not looking to control my hds unit from iPhone,but would like to explore if i can load my memory files to my iPhone.
    see there is settings for hotspot, wireless,bluetooth.
    i run latest software for both hds and iphone8.
    anyone know what i s the best way to transfer data from hds to iPhone?
    not really clear answers from customer support.
    thanks for any help
    john.

2. Member
    You cannot transfer data between iPhone and HDS. You can update software, emulate screens, and that is about it. Get the Lowrance app which will allow connection to your Carbon but as far as capabilities, there isn’t all that much you can do.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

3. Member
    I have the Link app on my phone and iPad.

I can, and do, link either of them to my HDS. This enables me to back up my HDS (waypoints, trails and settings) to the Link app, and to also go the other way - ie to restore the HDS from the last backup.

It also allows me to emulate the HDS screen on the phone/pad.

4. Member
    thanks moon lighter
    Link app i didnt know about, thats for iPhone?
    thanks is that the same as the Lowrance app.
    does it connect by bluetooth, or open wireless and connect by wifi?
    thanks just trying to learn.
    john

5. Member
    Link app i didnt know about, thats for iPhone?
    Works for both Apple and Android devices. From my experience it works much better on Apple. The only issue I have with Apple ipad is every couple of minutes the screen will pixelate while mirroring my HDS 7 Live. Have never gotten it to work with Android (Pixel phone or Samsung Tablet) very well - continuously connects/disconnects.

thanks is that the same as the Lowrance app.
    No, completely separate app

does it connect by bluetooth, or open wireless and connect by wifi?
    Connects via wifi - install Link app, follow directions for connecting your phone to your Carbon, make sure your phone is connected to the Carbon wifi, start Link app and you should see your Carbon listed and just select that - everything else is self explanatory.
    Solix 10 DI SI
    Lowrance 7 HDS Live
    Ulterra i-Pilot Link
    AS GPS HS - External GPS

6. Member
    FYI, you can connect a phone via Bluetooth and you then get your txt messages on your HDS screen...in case you want to get bothered while fishing! Also get notified of incoming calls.
    THis is useful for me, I keep the phone in the glove box, and know if my significant other or kids are trying to reach me on the water.

P.P.S, it does work, but connecting is a bit manual, doesn't seem to manually sync up.
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

7. Member
    I have both the Link App and the Lowrance App. I see my units and Ghost on the apps but I don't see anywhere to back up waypoints. Are you guys getting the premium Link app that you have to pay for?

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

Regular Link app

Look at 2 min. :

9. Member
    thanks guys for all the info.
    somewhat a little confusing between,Link free app, Lowrance Link app.
    looked at Lowrance video and Andre Morin video re Link app.
    seems Link free app easier to connect and features thanLowrance app.
    Looks like Link free app connects via wireless hotspot,Lowrance Link connects via Bluetooth.
    i dont know how this affects features ,guess different Frequency used?
    at any rate phone would be on boats distance shouldn't be an issue?
    I was looking for a easy way to record /photo what i see on lowrance Carbon directly to my phone, instead of simply holding shaky phone in front of lowrance screen.
    not looking to Control or change pages on Carbon via the Phone.
    gonna get to boat this weekend and let you all know what works for me, what doesnt.
    thanks guys
    john
    g

10. Member
    Once you backup your waypoints. Can they be viewed in the app on the map? Can you import waypoints into the app from another source? Like i got a waypoint file from a buddy and i want to view them before i put them on the unit.

Quote Originally Posted by acwd1950 View Post
    Once you backup your waypoints. Can they be viewed in the app on the map? Can you import waypoints into the app from another source? Like i got a waypoint file from a buddy and i want to view them before i put them on the unit.
    I just look at it and link my unit to it; it was a 1st for me. No to all youre questions. You can do a little more with the paid version but in my book it’s not worthed.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wallyandre View Post
    I just look at it and link my unit to it; it was a 1st for me. No to all youre questions. You can do a little more with the paid version but in my book it’s not worthed.
    I couldnt even get it to link to my unit. Another do nothing app for me.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by acwd1950 View Post
    I couldnt even get it to link to my unit. Another do nothing app for me.

Android or Apple? I couldn't get it to reliably link to an Android device but no problem with Apple (iPad). My complaints were heard at Lowrance and they said they would tell the development team but given that the app hasn't been updated since May 2018 I guess it was filed in the circular container - Android ver only has a 2.3 rating with the majority giving it a 1. Too bad because it does a great job (Apple ver.) of replicating the Lowrance display with the ability to change settings as well as backing up settings. Picked up an old/renewed iPad for $80 and a gooseneck tablet holder for another $10 and now have a real-time display anywhere I want.
    Solix 10 DI SI
    Lowrance 7 HDS Live
    Ulterra i-Pilot Link
    AS GPS HS - External GPS

14. Member
    How to ..
    Link app

Lowrance and Simrad backup to tablet or phone:

• Turn unit on. Go into wifi menu and select connect to phone or tablet
    • In tablet/phone, go to settings, wifi and open. Wait and see the device appear on the list. Select it. If the first time it will ask for password. This can be found in the Lowrance/Simrad unit under network/info. Input the password there into the tablet/phone where indicated.
    • Now open the Link app. Device should be listed. Tap it and the connection icon goes green when connected. If it doesnt connect, select Connect Manually from below the list of devices and check that the IP address is correct then select connect.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post
    How to ..
    Link app

Lowrance and Simrad backup to tablet or phone:

• Turn unit on. Go into wifi menu and select connect to phone or tablet
    • In tablet/phone, go to settings, wifi and open. Wait and see the device appear on the list. Select it. If the first time it will ask for password. This can be found in the Lowrance/Simrad unit under network/info. Input the password there into the tablet/phone where indicated.
    • Now open the Link app. Device should be listed. Tap it and the connection icon goes green when connected. If it doesnt connect, select Connect Manually from below the list of devices and check that the IP address is correct then select connect.
    They are not talking about the link app