Won't start /dies trimmed down.

96 Mariner 200 EFI 2.5L
    0G337778

If motor is trimmed down all the way ehen idle it will cut out and die. If leave down it will not start. Have to trim up to get to start but I can't drive it because I can't get it low enough to get enough power to get on plane. seems to have plenty power to turn over.. and does as i said if trimmed about half way or all the way up. like its flooding out or not getting fuel at all.. or could it be water killing spark? maybe a ground touching? no lines are pinched. VST float?
    TIA.
    Last edited by JoeBass1986; 08-08-2020 at 11:40 AM.

2. Member
    check see if its flooding it has overflow hose on top of vst
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    It's dry. nothing comes out when I turn on key or prime bulb . bulb stays hard for a little bit

4. Member
    Are the exhaust reliefs way below water when trimmed down? This a new boat to you or a new issue?

5. Member
    I've got it to where it'll stay running trimmed down but it doesn't ever pick up enough speed to get on plane. exhaust hole isn't to far below. I've raised JP up and down.. doesn't change anything. feel like i should have more rpms.. tops out about 6mph...it tries just can't get over that "hump" if I just hold throttle down it'll EVENTUALLY flood or atleast die but if it would pick up and go it shouldn't. ? got spark on all 6. some not as strong but it's there. #6 plug seems very clean. #6 compression is 125 .
    What will cause high compression and any way to fix this? say it's 15psi-20 over the rest? most are 120 .. one is 125.. have 1 around 135-140 give or take
    Last edited by JoeBass1986; 08-12-2020 at 09:17 AM.

6. Member
    need to determine if its loosing fuel psi when dying out
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

7. Member
    will a flat bulb when throttle down be the case if so? and why would I show high in 1 cylinder. any minor fixes? wonder if that causing it not to reach ny plug