Rough water and Dual Bow Electronics

I'm going to add a 2nd Helix to the bow of my 2019 921... I currently have a single plate/bow mount from Precision Sonar.

I would prefer a stack mount because I think it would be easier for me to see and I pitch, flip, skip a lot and think the stack would stay more out of the way. I would just order the Precision Sonar dual stack and call it good, but I'm concerned the mass of two units will ultimately pull the screws of the bow shroud out. I run Lake Michigan occasionally, so it can get pretty serious.

Thoughts and personal experience would be great.

2. Smallmouth Junkie!
    I have a Bass Boat Technology stack mount with a 12” Helix and a 12” Solix. Works great. Only problem was it is a little tight at the peddle because my Phoenix 721 is a 2012 and the bow was not designed for stack mounts at that time. We had to use plates to raise it up enough to work out right.
    Last edited by MichPhoenix77; 08-08-2020 at 09:47 PM.
    2012 Phoenix 721 pro xp / 250hp SHO
    2003 Skeeter TZX-190 / 150hp OX66

3. Member
    Love my BBT dual stack mount -- Helix 10 & Garmin Echomap Ultra 126sv
    Richard Viehe
    CRV Communications, Inc, President
    Authorized Bluewater LED Dealer
    Indpls., IN

Career Firefighter/Paramedic, Retired
    Carmel FD, IN

2020 Phoenix 21 PHX
    4 Stroke 250 Pro XS
    Console: Humminbird 12” Solix MSI G3, Garmin 126sv
    Bow: Humminbird 12” MEGA SI, Mega360, Garmin 122sv
    Livescope LVS34
    36V Ghost
    Dual 8' Blade Power Poles

4. Member
    I’ve got dual 9’s stacked on a precision sonar mount. Very solid. Only have to tighten down shroud screws occasionally, not an issue.

5. Member
    If you get a hold of phoenix they could point you (or maybe even someone here) in the direction on where to get the plastic screw caps that are used, and add more screws to the bow shroud. Kinda surprises me that they only put 4 in there from the factory. After doing some rigging on one that had a Helix 12 on the shroud a couple of the screws were actually bent.

Bent screws can definitely happen. I run a BBT dual stack mount with a Solix 12 and 15 and run typical big northern water. I put extra screws in my bow shroud (7 total). I also through bolted the bracket and made reinforcing 1" steel stock bars that about 12" wide to run the bracket bolts through. This setup is pretty solid - I speared a couple waves and actually slightly bent the BBT bracket which is 1/4" aluminum but the shroud and all screws are good.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

7. Member
    Thanks for all the input. I've already added 4 additional screws to the shroud and looking to add more.

8. Member
    This is what I use for my Lowrance 12 Live and Garmin 1022 stacked on the front of my 920 Pro. It was the only mount where I wasn't going to kick it using the trolling motor pedal or have to mount them at an angle.
    IMG_3529.jpgIMG_3531.jpgIMG_3530.jpgIMG_3532.jpg

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/PROcise_Outdoors_Dek-It_Stacker_Mount/descpage-DEKST.html
    Phoenix 2021 721 ProXP
    250 V8 ProXS

9. BBC SPONSOR
    Precision Sonars home water is Kentucky Lake..

We know rough water well and what it takes to accommodate it!

Shoot me an email or call with questions
    jordanh@precisionsonar.com
    270-703-6133

10. Member
    I fish almost exclusively big water tournaments, mostly great lakes. I love to use the high style aftermarket mounts, but quite frankly I gave up on them all and now only run one flush mount at the bow. I never had any bow unit or two units make it more then one season on anything other then flush mounts, when running a lot of big water mine would all take such abuse the case of the units would all break the seals from flexing on the aftermarket mounts. It would start with slight moisture behind the screen then the units would fail soon after. so now I live with one unit flush mounted. I have not lost a unit since I switched to flush mounts. Some days on lake Ontario that flush mount bow graph spends as much time underwater as above with waves coming over the bow all day and the unit still works fine .