Trolling motor upgrade for 2020 175 txw

Hello all, new member here but I have been reading for a while without registering. I used the search feature but didnt really find the answers I was looking for, so heres my question(s) if you could answer any of them I would appreciate the help!

1. I just got a new 175 txw with the edge 45lb thrust. I am really looking into upgrading to the 24v XI5 because I would love spotlock and some other features, anyone have this TM and have feedback?

2. I am thinking from what I researched, I would need a. new additional battery b. new battery 3 bank charger c. the trolling motor is that correct or anything else?

3. Do I need to rerun a thicker wire from battery to TM? Everything I read seems to point to no and am hoping since the tracker boats have the options from factory for a 24v that I would not need to.

4. How hard is it, and have you ever swapped out a TM? Seems like just 6 screws holding it in, and then I am thinking / hoping the same 4 prong plug that plugs into the bow would be used for the new XI5?

5. I believe my TM now is 45" shaft, i definitely hear it pop out of the water with the wakes of boats, should I go longer like 54 inch or whatever the next size up is?

Thank you all for any feedback, would love to maybe get this done in the next few weeks.

2. #FRB
    First off, welcome to the forum. I'll answer your questions best I can.

1. I had an Xi5 on my 175txw for 2.5 years or so and HATED it. The pedal acted different every time I used it and the motor was plagued with gremlins that would show up every once in a while OR OFTEN depending on the day. If you plan on mainly using the pedal to control the motor I would go ahead and pony up for an Ultrex and be done with it. THAT SAID, there are people on here who LOVE their Xi5 and will insist the foot pedal works fine and/or mainly use the remote. Just keep in mind that the Xi5 isn't meant to be AND NEVER WILL perform with the precision of a cable steer or a power assisted cable steer. There's a reason just about every bass fisherman with a spot lock trolling motor is paying up for an Ultrex/Ghost/Force and not cheaping out on the Xi5/Terrova/or even the Ulterra. This is all my opinion so take it as intended and not as gospel because what doesn't work for me might work fine for you and vice versa.

2. Yes you'll need a second battery preferably the exact same one that came in the boat when rigged at the dealer even though that's not a must. MAKE SURE YOU WIRE CORRECTLY FOR 24v! You can use your existing 2-bank charger to charge the two trolling batteries and use a portable charger to charge your cranking battery if price is of concern. If not, there's plenty of good 3 bank chargers out there but only a few will fit in the oem location.

3. OEM wiring should still be 6g so wiring will be fine. Would still be fine even if it was 8g for the most part.

4. If you have stove pipes for arms swapping the trolling motor on a 175txw can be a real pain. It's a two-person job unless you're VERY limber but it can be done. The front two screws should just be run into the top while the middle and rear pair have a nut and washer behind them.

5. It depends. The 54" shaft might stick up too high making it a real pain to work around at times. I've only run a 45" shaft on mine and it only comes out of the water every once in a while and when it does it's because the rollers are HUGE.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

3. Member
    I have the Xi5 45” model. I wish I had gone with the longer shaft. Your wiring will be fine.

4. Member
    Wow thank you for all that feedback and information...... holy COW i just looked at the ultrex, and i just dont think I can drop 3k on a TM. Im sure they are worth it but this is just a hobby for me, i dont do tournaments or anything just weekends out messing around.... maybe ill wait until I see a great deal or put this off until next year. Any event thank you for all that info!

Quote Originally Posted by Highcentered View Post
    First off, welcome to the forum. I'll answer your questions best I can.

1. I had an Xi5 on my 175txw for 2.5 years or so and HATED it. The pedal acted different every time I used it and the motor was plagued with gremlins that would show up every once in a while OR OFTEN depending on the day. If you plan on mainly using the pedal to control the motor I would go ahead and pony up for an Ultrex and be done with it. THAT SAID, there are people on here who LOVE their Xi5 and will insist the foot pedal works fine and/or mainly use the remote. Just keep in mind that the Xi5 isn't meant to be AND NEVER WILL perform with the precision of a cable steer or a power assisted cable steer. There's a reason just about every bass fisherman with a spot lock trolling motor is paying up for an Ultrex/Ghost/Force and not cheaping out on the Xi5/Terrova/or even the Ulterra. This is all my opinion so take it as intended and not as gospel because what doesn't work for me might work fine for you and vice versa.

2. Yes you'll need a second battery preferably the exact same one that came in the boat when rigged at the dealer even though that's not a must. MAKE SURE YOU WIRE CORRECTLY FOR 24v! You can use your existing 2-bank charger to charge the two trolling batteries and use a portable charger to charge your cranking battery if price is of concern. If not, there's plenty of good 3 bank chargers out there but only a few will fit in the oem location.

3. OEM wiring should still be 6g so wiring will be fine. Would still be fine even if it was 8g for the most part.

4. If you have stove pipes for arms swapping the trolling motor on a 175txw can be a real pain. It's a two-person job unless you're VERY limber but it can be done. The front two screws should just be run into the top while the middle and rear pair have a nut and washer behind them.

5. It depends. The 54" shaft might stick up too high making it a real pain to work around at times. I've only run a 45" shaft on mine and it only comes out of the water every once in a while and when it does it's because the rollers are HUGE.

5. Member
    Just get a regular 24v cable steer trolling motor and spend the money you save on some better electronics.

6. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    Just get a regular 24v cable steer trolling motor and spend the money you save on some better electronics.
    Depending on what type of fishing he does most this might be the better option. For those that are offshore junkies and/or like a little wind like myself spot lock is a must. If I had to pick between the Xi5 and Terrova it would be the Terrova. You don't really hear much bad about the Terrova.
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Ultrex

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

7. Member
    Depending on what type of fishing he does most this might be the better option. For those that are offshore junkies and/or like a little wind like myself spot lock is a must. If I had to pick between the Xi5 and Terrova it would be the Terrova. You don't really hear much bad about the Terrova.
    They fished offshore and in wind for years before spot lock existed, a couple anchors is all you need. The most important thing about fishing offshore is you have to find the fish and structure first, and that's where having good electronics comes into play.

8. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    They fished offshore and in wind for years before spot lock existed, a couple anchors is all you need. The most important thing about fishing offshore is you have to find the fish and structure first, and that's where having good electronics comes into play.
    Wasn't too long ago everyone went outside to crap in an outhouse and dip water from a well. Once you use spot lock out deep you'll never want to drop an anchor again
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Ultrex

9. Member
    Wasn't too long ago everyone went outside to crap in an outhouse and dip water from a well. Once you use spot lock out deep you'll never want to drop an anchor again
    Must have beem awfu if they got confused.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by njpaulc View Post
    1989 Coleman Crawdad
    55 lb Minn Kota Endura Max

11. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by njpaulc View Post
    I've seen a case where the hole in the ground for the homemade septic tank was too close to the underground spring that fed the well. Yes that was some funky well water when the crap from the poorly made field lines seeped into it! That house is now on city water.
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Ultrex