Elgin – G2’s and Lithium starting battery - Yea or Nay?

One for Elgin

I was wondering whether you have any thoughts on the suitability or otherwise using a lithium starting battery with a G2.

I was thinking that through your previous line of work you may have seen them due to weight advantages and seen what types of issues that may arise.

If they are no good for use in G2’s that fine – better than an expensive misinformed mistake – or if property set up with a MBS and an A-B charger - no issues – then will look at loosing 45kg - 100lb of lead from the back of the boat.

In a previous thread Seahorse posted the following from advice from Evinrude

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....arting+battery

February 16, 2017 No. 2017-02(D) Models: All Evinrude® Outboards

SUBJECT: Revised Battery Recommendations

This bulletin is to inform Evinrude dealers of a revision to the battery recommendations for all Evinrude outboards.

The battery charging system of Evinrude outboards is designed for use with lead acid type batteries ONLY, including “AGM” and “Gel” type batteries.

If other battery types, such as lithium ion batteries are used with an Evinrude outboard, installation of additional equipment may be required as defined by the battery manufacturer.

A couple of posts from DoctorJJ

I have been using a Relion for a year now. No issues. If you carefully read what the Evinrude statement says, it’s not that the battery will cause problems with the engine, the concern is the charging system may cause problems with the battery. Charging with too high amperage or to too high a voltage can cause damage or even cause a fire with a lithium battery. That’s why Evinrude releases their statement. Buy a quality drop in type lithium with a good built in BMS and the BMS will handle it all. It will work just fine with no issues.

Recommended charge voltage for the Relion RB100-HP is 14.2-14.6 volts. The charge voltage of the Evinrude G2 is 14.4. There is absolutely no issue with reduced capacity due to charging limitations.

cheers
    Statler

2. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

I'm wondering now as well....

1998 Stratos 285 Pro
    1989 Evinrude XP 150(E150STLCEM)(08199802)
    2004 Ford Explorer NBX V8
    1998 Jeep XJ 4.0L V6
    House Cat named Patches
    Remington 700, Old Cooey 12 gauge, A lot of Fishing Rods
    Some tools, garden hose with outboard attachment, 3 crow decoys, 8 Track Tape player,
    A Billy Bass, and clothing from the 80's.

4. Member
    Been running relion 100 with a g2 250 for 3.5 years so for no problem for me.

No engine mfr recommends the use of a lithium battery, and as you can see in the letter neither does evinrude. Think of a lead acid or gel battery as a cushion in your electrical system. Lithium does not have this cushion and thats where the fires and funny electrical gremlins come from. Until they can use the same charger with no issues you shouldnt hook them into a charging system designed for a lead acid battery (your engine)

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

My stance is its your boat, do what you want but, as the bulletin states the charging system was designed to charge lead acid batteries not lithium.

2017-02(D) Rev. Battery Recs..pdf
    RUSTY63 in a Shiny Green Jacket.......

7. Member
    fair call - and continue with the lead acid batteries

8. Member
    Ive been running an Amped Outdoors Lithium 1200 CCA's 80ah and have had ZERO issues. Def your boat your call but I am pleased with removing all that weight out of my boat.
    2019 Falcon 215 Yamaha Sho 250, Lithiums, X2, Poles, Ultrex, Birds, Mega 360 & Livescope.

Previous-2017 Falcon 205 Evinrude G2 250HO, Lithiums, Poles, Ultrex, Birds and 360.

The weight thing always comes up as the go to for Lithium batteries, if you guys didn't try to carry bass pros complete inventory it your boat the battery weight would not be an issue.
    RUSTY63 in a Shiny Green Jacket.......

10. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ELGIN View Post
    The weight thing always comes up as the go to for Lithium batteries, if you guys didn't try to carry bass pros complete inventory it your boat the battery weight would not be an issue.
    I resemble that remark !!

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmeister View Post
    I resemble that remark !!
    Ahhh, guilty as charged Here too.!!

12. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    We had this discussion when he installed the 225 on my rig....he thought it would turn a 28 Raker....had to settle for a 26..... I now have much more in it.