Mercury 1.5 Optimax overheating WOT

Had a new to me boat out a few times, 2010 Mercury Optimax 90hp 1.5. runs 4,000 rpms just fine around 9 psi or so.
    i get an overheat alarm and some smoke out the top if I go WOT. I have tried to pay attention to the stream of water and it doesn’t look as strong as it could be. The previous owner just had the pump replaced so maybe that guy didn’t do the gaskets and the job correctly....

I was bored waiting for parts so I took apart the poppet valve and thermostat, I’ve monitored the thermostat to know it opens around the 140 mark. First time I’ve seen a poppet valve and the rubber housing in person but it all looks good. There was no residue or buildup in either area. I also took out the compressor strainer and it too was 99 percent clear. I know you’re supposed to start with water pump first, ....

im going to replace thermostat and poppet while I have it open and I’ll do the pump, all new gaskets, full kit etc. hoping my issues are better.... I also heard from a merc tech that some guys have to even put some silicone or other sealant around a part of the pump to help it too....

any other items I should be looking at or am I crossing all the important stuff off the list? I can run 30mph fine with no alarms but anything more than that I feel like the pump is getting like 7-9 psi at WOT.

lastly, does anyone have a link or know the exact size for the O ring in the oil pump? I have a perfectly working oil pump that leaks, just annoying.... I’ve taken that apart and know the priming sequence with the computer.... I was a fool and didn’t replace the o ring when I had it apart because it looked fine. Thought maybe a bolt or two was just loose.... I was wrong, there’s gotta be an o ring that can stop the leak .....

2. Member
    This might help with your water pump replacement - 1.5L (75-125hp 3 cyl) Optimax Water Pump Replacement

Due to the critical function it provides, the oil pump should be replaced as repairs are mostly ineffective. Search the 3L forum for more.

Please be sure to add engine serial number (required when posting).
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

3. Member
    The oil pump is going to be replaced, i found where it has a small invisible crack in the plunger type component, not an O ring failure.

Still curious and maybe this is the wrong place to be asking.....

The previous owner had the water pump replaced right before I purchased, receipts and all.
    I have the Thermostat and the Popppet valve out of the motor right now, but both seem to be clear of debris and the rubber plunger doesnt appear to have anything wrong with it.
    Should i just buy a gasket and put the popppet and thermostat back in, knowing the thermostat opens at 140.

Then tackle the water pump FIRST? Or.... replace poppet and thermostat and then test to see if water pump is fine.
    Mechanic thought the water pressure was fine when we had it hooked to muffs and when revving it can go to 10+ psi.

I never see more than 14 PSI (Poppet probably opens as it drops off)
    Then at WOT, I dont see more than 10 PSI....

Is that most likely a water pump issue or a thermo/poppet issue?

Optimax 90HP
    1B750920 Serial Number
    Last edited by bmwnc2; 08-08-2020 at 03:00 PM.

4. Member
    would start with pump
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    ^^^^Me too!
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

6. Member
    Just to finalize the post......

It was the bead of silicone you need to put on the exhaust bridge (between the two bolts) where the lower unit sits by the exhaust port. I cant believe I spent so many hours over a bead of silicone that wasnt properly replaced last time they put the water pump in! Guess it pays to do it myself!
    2010 Nitro X-5 w/ 90HP Mercury Optimax
    2020 Ultrex Ipilot Link MDI
    Helix 12 MDI G3N
    Helix 12 MSI G3N
    Mega 360