Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Issues fitting Renegade Prop to 95 150hp Intruder, E150GLEOM

OK, folks...as some of you know I have been dealing with motor issues with this motor for a while. However, finally have it running beautifully after replacing all the fuel hoses, fuel selector valve, and bulb; unfortunately, I am only getting it to run around 47mph and 4300rpm. The motor has a 4-blade prop of unknown origins, so it has been suggested that I try a different prop and see if that makes a difference. After doing a little research, I settled on a 23p Renegade. As luck would have it, my local dealer had one they were willing to loan me to see what happened. So, today I went and picked it up and tried to install it. I say "tried", because after putting the correct spacer on and installing the nut and keeper, the keeper was too far out on the shaft to install the cotter key. After doing a little checking, it would appear the the hub in the prop that was on the motor is about a 1/4" shorter than the Renegade. Not sure what the story is here...after examining the prop it would appear that the inside inner face has been machined to remove some material...I am guessing about 1/4"(this may also be why I cannot find any numbers stating the diameter and pitch...). NO idea why this would have been done, unless the prop shaft is not original? The shaft itself measures 6-1/4" from the shoulder where the spacer rests to the end; and 6" to the cotter key hole. I measured the length from the front face of the spacer on the Renegade to the back of the hub and it measures 5-1/4"; the original prop measures 5" over the same distance. As I see it, I have several options:

1. Leave everything as is and use it as such;
    2. Have a machine shop turn about 3/16" off of the spacer so I can install the keeper and cotter key;
    3. Replace the prop shaft or lower unit;
    4. Repower;
    5. Connect a lightning rod to the motor and pray for a storm.

My concern with option 2 is, would having the prop ~3/16" closer to the housing affect performance? I have a spare spacer, so nothing lost to have it modified...
    Really don't want to do option 3, but after the issues I have had with this thing, option 4 is looking very attractive...with option 5 running a very close second.

Has anyone dealt with a similar issue?

Thanks!

Tom
    1995 Ranger 482VS
    Evinrude Intruder 150

Just ask the dealer if they have the inner and outer thrust washers you need to run the gade?
    RUSTY63 in a Shiny Green Jacket.......

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ELGIN View Post
    Just ask the dealer if they have the inner and outer thrust washers you need to run the gade?
    Was told the inner one was correct but they are going to double check. Didn't realize there are different outers?
    1995 Ranger 482VS
    Evinrude Intruder 150

Different props different inner and outer washers.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ELGIN View Post
    Different props different inner and outer washers.
    Thanks Elgin. Is there a chart online anywhere that lists which spacers to use with which prop?
    1995 Ranger 482VS
    Evinrude Intruder 150

Not to my knowledge, each prop vendor has their own.

7. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    two listed for the Gade are old number 0128740 and the new part number 0128777. Dealer should have either one.

8. Member
    The one I have is 0126869, which was replaced by 0128777
    1995 Ranger 482VS
    Evinrude Intruder 150

9. Member
    pretty shure 0126869 is for shooter

Actually the 0126869 is a gade, the 0128777 is a shooter washer....

1998 Stratos 285 Pro
    1989 Evinrude XP 150(E150STLCEM)(08199802)
    2004 Ford Explorer NBX V8
    1998 Jeep XJ 4.0L V6
    House Cat named Patches
    Remington 700, Old Cooey 12 gauge, A lot of Fishing Rods
    Some tools, garden hose with outboard attachment, 3 crow decoys, 8 Track Tape player,
    A Billy Bass, and clothing from the 80's.

11. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Here is the progression for the 4 blade thrust washer.
    #78 126318 — THRUST BUSHING, PROP., 4-BLADE (1 required per assembly)

0126318 [ More info ]
    Unavailable
    Replaced by 0126869

0126869 [ More info ]
    Unavailable
    Replaced by 0128740

0128740 [ More info ]
    Unavailable
    Replaced by 0128777

0128777 - Thrust Bushing [ More info ]
    $59.00
    1 in stock.

12. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    And for the three blade.

126870 — THRUST BUSHING, PROP., 3-BLADE (1 required per assembly)

0126870 - Thrust Bushing [ More info ]
    $38.59 $34.52
    10+ in stock.

13. Member
    Part # 0126869 is what I have. Are there different rear spacers?
    Last edited by TomF; 08-08-2020 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Was responding to the post before the one about Raker props and misspoke.
    1995 Ranger 482VS
    Evinrude Intruder 150

14. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Yes you can't use a Raker thrust washer on the Gade bigger diameter on the Raker washer. The washer needs to be able to drop into the hub.

15. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    https://www.boats.net/catalog/evinru...eller-hardware

In the link I provided you can scroll the cursor to move the picture around. You can also zoom in/out to get a better look at the hardware. Top picture is a Raker, middle Renegade Bass and bottom picture is Raker II. I will also note that the picture of the Renegade shows a cavitation ring. Due to a Renegade Bass having a small diameter barrel some boats will get too much venting on hole-shot and blow out. It's really trial and error to determine if you need a blow out ring but most bass boats use one when running a Renegade bass prop.

Now here is an interesting note...a Raker II thrust washer is the same thrust washer as a Renegade Bass thrust washer. I have a friend who had a Renegade Bass prop that he took in on trade for some equipment. All he had was the prop because it did not come with any hardware but told me I could borrow the prop. I bought mounting hardware for a Renegade prop and the thrust washer is the exact same for a Raker II. Now a Raker thrust washer will not work on a Renegade or Raker II but a Raker II thrust washer is the exact same as a Renegade thrust washer. In the link I provided they list them as two different part numbers but if you look in the link ChanpioNman posted part number 128740 was replace with 128777 but they are the exact same part just different numbers...the only reason I mention this is if the OP knows someone with a Raker II thrust washer and they will let him use it then it will work. If you go buy the picture in the link I posted it has the correct hardware.
    Last edited by JR19; 08-08-2020 at 02:40 PM.

16. Member
    So part # 0126869(which i currently have)was replaced by 0128740. Are they different, or just a different part number? It does fit right into the hub on the renegade prop. So if I am hearing you correctly, I need the 0128740 or actually, the 0128777?
    1995 Ranger 482VS
    Evinrude Intruder 150

17. Member
    The alloy changed from full stainless steel to something that looks like brass but really is not, then changed to add a fish line trap. The alloy change added prevention against galling of stainless on stainless Prop shaft with loose propnuts.
    also any Evinrude prop that uses the TBX prop hub system uses the bass renegade size thrust washer. Raker II, Raker Ho use TBX
    Raker with a pressed in rubber hub, thrust washer will not fit.
    Last edited by bighare; 08-08-2020 at 04:15 PM.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bighare View Post
    The alloy changed from full stainless steel to something that looks like brass but really is not, then changed to add a fish line trap. The alloy change added prevention against galling of stainless on stainless Prop shaft with loose propnuts.
    also any Evinrude prop that uses the TBX prop hub system uses the bass renegade size thrust washer. Raker II, Raker Ho use TBX
    Raker with a pressed in rubber hub, thrust washer will not fit.
    Is there a way to tell if the prop has the TBX hub? I guess that is a moot point, as the prop I have is a Renegade Bass prop. Both of the 0126869 spacers I have are stainless steel.

QUESTION - if anyone has one of the 0128777 spacers lying around, would you mind measuring it and let me know how thick it is?

Thanks
    Last edited by TomF; 08-08-2020 at 11:32 PM.
    1995 Ranger 482VS
    Evinrude Intruder 150

19. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    So part # 0126869(which i currently have)was replaced by 0128740. Are they different, or just a different part number? It does fit right into the hub on the renegade prop. So if I am hearing you correctly, I need the 0128740 or actually, the 0128777?
    I really don't know how to answer your question other than to state what my past experience was...I have ran a Raker, Raker II and a Renegade and what I posted in the link is the exact hardware I used. I had Raker hardware and when I went to a Raker II (with a TBX hub) I had to order new hardware. When a friend of mine let me test spin his Renegade he did not have hardware so I bought new hardware for a Renegade. When I received it the thrust washer for the Renegade was identical to my Raker II thrust washer. Now the other hardware for the Renegade was different than my Raker II but the Raker II and Renegade thrust washer was the same...just go buy whats in the picture in the link I provided and you should be fine. That's what I done and it worked for me.

20. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    Is there a way to tell if the prop has the TBX hub? I guess that is a moot point, as the prop I have is a Renegade Bass ing prop. Both of the 0126869 spacers I have are stainless steel.

QUESTION - if anyone has one of the 0128777 spacers lying around, would you mind measuring it and let me know how thick it is?

Thanks
    A TBX hub is removable. Looking in the link I posted the Raker and Renegade does not show parts for the hub because they are pressed in. In the bottom picture the Raker II is a TBX removagle hub, part #12 and #13

Yes I have an extra 0128777 because that is what boats.net sent me when I ordered a thrust washer to test a Renegade. I already had one on my Raker II but did not know it matched what I needed. I can measure, take a picture and post it BUT it will be Sunday or possibly even Monday before I can do it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast