Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    OK...I reinstalled the Renegade and left the outermost flat washer off. Everything fits as it should now. I always thought leaving the outer most washer off might be a consideration, but didn't want to do that without hearing from those of you who have a LOT of experience with these motors and props. Hope to take it out tomorrow to see how it performs. I will post back here after the trial.

Thanks again for your help and support!

Tom
    1995 Ranger 482VS
    Evinrude Intruder 150

photos are great when it comes to helping.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

Make sure you take your primary prop with you and whats needed to install it just in case that prop blows out so bad it won't plane out. I know our boats and motors are different, plus I have a lot of weight with two Talons but they are similar in size and horsepower. Without a cavitation ring mine would just blow out so bad it would never get on plane. I would plow nose up forever and even worked the throttle but she would not bite. Notice how the Renegade has a small barrel. This allows a lot of exhaust too escape thru the gap of the prop and the gear-case. The exhaust gas creates air bubbles which in return helps the prop build rpm's on hole-shot. However if you have too many air bubbles it will slip so bad it blows out and does not bite. Hence the reason for a cavitation ring. A cavitation ring directs a lot of the exhaust flow out the barrel. Once on plane and the prop has bite the exhaust goes out the barrel so the only time it will effect performance is on hole-shot.

With a cavitation ring I was up and going like normal. Once I got mine dialed in it would jump out of the hole, handle the turns good but was 4-5 mph slower than my Raker...now with that being said the prop I was testing was a prop someone took on trade and they really did not know the health or history of the prop so it may have just been a poor condition prop. Report back how your test run goes

JR19 is correct, you will blow out trying to get on plane and will probably not achieve plane without the Cav ring. The plastic ones work fine and I've never had a problem with them. Been running the plastic one since 2000 with no issues.
    Last edited by tdt91; 08-10-2020 at 07:31 PM.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

5. Member
    The Renegade is very similar to the prop with no markings that I am trying to replace. Barrels are nearly identical, so not sure if the 'gade is going to act any differently, to be honest. Not sure about the pitch, however. Regardless, I am only going out to test the prop, so if it blows out I will just trailer the boat and see if I can find a cavitation ring. Not really concerned with getting maximum speed, but do want to be sure the motor is running at the proper RPMs.
    1995 Ranger 482VS
    Evinrude Intruder 150

If you have a prop shop around you can take them the prop and they can put a pitch gauge on it and let you know what it is. This only takes a couple minutes. I am surprised there is no markings like 13.5 X 23 or 13.5 X 25 on the prop somewhere. (13.5 is diameter, 23 and 25 are pitch)

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    If you have a prop shop around you can take them the prop and they can put a pitch gauge on it and let you know what it is. This only takes a couple minutes. I am surprised there is no markings like 13.5 X 23 or 13.5 X 25 on the prop somewhere. (13.5 is diameter, 23 and 25 are pitch)
    Will do that next time I go to town. I too am surprised there are no marks on the prop, but I have looked all over it and can't find any. Is 13.5 in diameter, as I measured it.
    1995 Ranger 482VS
    Evinrude Intruder 150

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    Just to be clear, the Renegade is marked. It is a 13.5x23
    1995 Ranger 482VS
    Evinrude Intruder 150

9. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    And looking at the pic of your gear case you do have a weed ring installed already.

10. Member
    Took the boat out today with the Renegade prop and got nearly the same results, which really isn't too surprising as the original prop looks very similar to the Renegade. Got it to run 48mph(GPS) and 4200rpms. So...back to square one. Local dealer has some feelers out for a 22 or 24 Raker and thinks he will be able to find one. Will try that once he finds one. On the original prop, I was running 43mph(GPS) with my wife and I in the boat, and still 4200rpms. It was just me in the boat today, but otherwise the load was the same.
    1995 Ranger 482VS
    Evinrude Intruder 150

11. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    If that 150 won't turn a 23 Gade I'd be looking elsewhere...I've seen healthy 150's turn a 23 Gade on a Stratos 201.....

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmeister View Post
    If that 150 won't turn a 23 Gade I'd be looking elsewhere...I've seen healthy 150's turn a 23 Gade on a Stratos 201.....
    I'm kinda thinking the same thing. Any suggestions on where to start?
    Last edited by TomF; 08-12-2020 at 07:56 PM.
    1995 Ranger 482VS
    Evinrude Intruder 150

13. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    I kinda thinking the same thing. Any suggestions on where to start?
    A certified Johnson/Evinrude Mechanic.

14. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Have you done a compression test?

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmeister View Post
    Have you done a compression test?
    Yes, certifide Evinrude mechanic at my nearest dealer did that a year ago when this all began and said it was good. I am looking at the fuel system trouble check chart and one of the things it says to check for loss of W.O.T. rpms is anti siphon valve. Do built in fuel tanks have those? Also mentions plugged pulse limiter fitting. I can check that tomorrow.
    1995 Ranger 482VS
    Evinrude Intruder 150

16. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Took the boat out today with the Renegade prop and got nearly the same results, which really isn't too surprising as the original prop looks very similar to the Renegade. Got it to run 48mph(GPS) and 4200rpms. So...back to square one. Local dealer has some feelers out for a 22 or 24 Raker and thinks he will be able to find one. Will try that once he finds one. On the original prop, I was running 43mph(GPS) with my wife and I in the boat, and still 4200rpms. It was just me in the boat today, but otherwise the load was the same.
    I would not worry about testing another prop. Low to mid 40 GPS speed at low to mid 4000 rpm is about right for that particular rpm. I would focus on why your not achieving full rpm. Your first two props were darn near identical in performance and the numbers were right for the given speed and rpm so I would rule out the prop as being the issue. My first look would be at the throttle linkage and ensure its opening 100%...after that I would seek a different dealer if he thinks trying a third prop is going to cure your problem. I am no technician but I would bet $ the prop is not whats holding you back on speed/rpm.

Make sure the butterflies are opening all the way up on the carbs at WOT.

Make sure the butterflies are opening all the way up on the carbs at WOT. Read this thread.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=11790

Yes, certifide Evinrude mechanic at my nearest dealer did that a year ago when this all began and said it was good.
    A compression check a year ago?????????? might want to do that again.
    RUSTY63 in a Shiny Green Jacket.......

20. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ELGIN View Post
    A compression check a year ago?????????? might want to do that again.
    At the same dealer who wants to try a third prop or a different dealer

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast