Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

18' wide garage door - need photos

Drawing up my next Shop plan. 42'W x 52'D

Considering an 18'x10' door over a 12' and a 10' in the front. But I've never owned or worked around a big wide door.
    Current shop is 30x50 with a 12' in front and 10' in back for boat and pickup.

Boat parking will be on one side of this "opening" and I need room to move another machine out the other side.
    Likely will be motorcycles, a SxS, and tractors. Rarely will need that space for another "vehicle".

My main reason for considering a single 18' door is wall space and less overhead door hardware than two doors.
    I wonder about the idea of having such a big door to maintain and keep sealed good. (my smaller doors work flawlessly)
    I don't think one overhead door will allow me as much diversity as two.

On paper with the boat parked up front it don't look like much room to pull another machine in there.

Hoping someone could post photos of an 18'W door with a 20' bass boat behind it. Or and 18' door with two full size pickups that can move in and out.

Appreciate it, TT

"ain't too smart.....but I'm always thinkin"

The only suggestion I have is if you go with a real wide door I prefer a roll up door. It's your shop and get what you want but 18 is pretty wide. With the depth you have you can have the boat at the back of the shop and still have plenty of room in the front where the door is to bring in other equipment even if the door was narrow. Personally I would go 14 or maybe 16 but buy all means go 18 if that's what you want.

18 is not a big deal, do it and be happy
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

4. Member
    My door is 16' and I can have to boat and truck pulled in side by side.

5. Member
    18' isn't a problem as long as you go with a quality unit. I would personally go with a commercial grade panel door ( not a coil type) as they seal much better and have a heavy duty rollers and springs. I can however squeeze my V20 through a 16' as long as my wife's suv is pulled in a far as possible. May want to check out Overhead doors web site.

6. Member
    I respectfully disagree with the rollup style on an 18' door
    thats gonna be a big barrel and trouble later

if you do a panel door, and I dont have pics, sorry, you can do a shaft drive and not worry about the door strength to weight ratio because you won't be tugging on the middle of a big span all day. hope this makes sense. been there, done that, get the panel door and get a shaft drive you'll be happy

Quote Originally Posted by RTex View Post
    I respectfully disagree with the rollup style on an 18' door
    thats gonna be a big barrel and trouble later

if you do a panel door, and I dont have pics, sorry, you can do a shaft drive and not worry about the door strength to weight ratio because you won't be tugging on the middle of a big span all day. hope this makes sense. been there, done that, get the panel door and get a shaft drive you'll be happy
    yes, a jackshaft opener with high lift tracks is what I'd do with an 18 footer.

Roll up doors don't seal for shit. I have two of them on another shed behind my 30x50.

Quote Originally Posted by west_tn View Post
    My door is 16' and I can have to boat and truck pulled in side by side.

Man that's gotta be pushin it.
    We have a 16' x 7' on our house garage and ain't no way I'm getting my F150 and ole lady's Highlander in there with any room between them. Have to have a can opener to get the doors open.
    I don't doubt it can be done, but it ain't happnin with the way I operate.

Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    The only suggestion I have is if you go with a real wide door I prefer a roll up door. It's your shop and get what you want but 18 is pretty wide. With the depth you have you can have the boat at the back of the shop and still have plenty of room in the front where the door is to bring in other equipment even if the door was narrow. Personally I would go 14 or maybe 16 but buy all means go 18 if that's what you want.
    No roll up door for me. I'm leaving an option to air condition it.
    Likely have tractor and other "stuff" in the back at times. That would put the boat up front. I don't think I'd be pleased with a single 14-16' door.
    I'm leaning towards two doors and losing my wall space, that way there would be no doubt of ease of entry/exit with other machines.

But, I sure want to see some photos of an 18' with a boat behind it.
    I know the measurements and see it on paper, I want to see it with my eyeballs !!!!

Stepped out back and shot this, 18’ door

Quote Originally Posted by Bassman Ia. View Post
    Stepped out back and shot this, 18’ door

Thank you sir. That's perfect, except I can't see the boat and pickup next to each other.
    Open it up!!!

Ok boat trailer is 102” truck, car and 40 “ bench on the wall behind the car

13. Member
    and some big ass windzone reinforcement braces if youre in santa fe

Appreciate it Iowa
    How the hell did ya get out of that pickup Or get back in it?

Quote Originally Posted by RTex View Post
    and some big ass windzone reinforcement braces if youre in santa fe
    yeah no chit, but, my Santa Fe days are numbered. Hurricane Harvey had us homeless for 3 1/2 months. Camped in the shed for a good part of it. Gettin the hell off the coast.

Next shed will be 1.1 miles from the ramp at T Bend.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Corkpuller View Post
    yeah no chit, but, my Santa Fe days are numbered. Hurricane Harvey had us homeless for 3 1/2 months. Camped in the shed for a good part of it. Gettin the hell off the coast.

Next shed will be 1.1 miles from the ramp at T Bend.
    NICE

Quote Originally Posted by Corkpuller View Post
    Appreciate it Iowa
    How the hell did ya get out of that pickup Or get back in it?
    I get out the pass side. If I didn’t have a fridge, bench 3 toolboxes and cabinets on the side wall behind the carI could slid the car over another 4’. There is 3 ft. Between the truck and car.
    here is a friends 30x50’ attached garage. 18’ door in the front 12’ door on the back lots of room

18. Member
    very cool I'll take the 55 and yall can have all the rest of that

Quote Originally Posted by Bassman Ia. View Post
    I get out the pass side. If I didn’t have a fridge, bench 3 toolboxes and cabinets on the side wall behind the carI could slid the car over another 4’. There is 3 ft. Between the truck and car.
    here is a friends 30x50’ attached garage. 18’ door in the front 12’ door on the back lots of room

I have a single 20 foot wide door on mine and my boat and truck fit nicely side by side in the shop. I would go with a wide door because it makes it much easier to get in and out of the building.
    Team Enigma Fishing

I have a 16 x 8 in my shop and if I pulled my boat and truck in I would need a can opener to get out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast