Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Using a trailer without brakes

So I recently tried to change my brake fluid in a used boat o bought a couple years ago and figured out that the actuator is broken and not functioning. I’ve tried to get in touch with a few local shops about a repair and they have no interest and just blow me off. I’m not comfortable with it personally from the research I’ve done but might have to resort to it. It’s on a 2011 ranger z521 and I pull with a f250. Is it plausible to just keep rolling like this or should I reconsider?

2. Member
    You should definitely FIX the braking system. In PA trailers must pass a state inspection every year.

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    It is an easy fix, especially with the help you can get here.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Fix it. You don't need the headache of being sued and having your insurance company deny coverage because of your failure to do proper maintenance.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

5. Member
    I always recommend brakes, but if you insert a bolt to keep the actuator from sliding back and forth, a F 250 could tow it temporarily. After all they tow construction trailers with no brakes that go 10,000 pounds.
    Order the actuator assembly, it will probably set you back $200 plus or minus.
    A F 150 would concern me some.

Let the pummeling begin.

6. mikesxpress
    Your state laws dictate the trailer brake requirements.

Kentucky law does not specifically require brakes on any passenger car trailers, regardless of weight. However, vehicles singular or in combination must be able to stop within distance specified by statute. And, insurance companies can't deny claim because brakes don't work, even if you knew you had a problem.

While your F250 should stop it fine, I'd still get it fixed. Keep looking and find a repair shop.

2020 Ranger VS1782 DC
    Mercury ProXS 150
    Garmin 106 Ultra/UHD 93sv
    Ulterra Quest, 115/90

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Mountaineer View Post
    Kentucky law does not specifically require brakes on any passenger car trailers, regardless of weight. However, vehicles singular or in combination must be able to stop within distance specified by statute. And, insurance companies can't deny claim because brakes don't work, even if you knew you had a problem.

While your F250 should stop it fine, I'd still get it fixed. Keep looking and find a repair shop.

Agreed

The occasional use is fine especially with an F250. You do need to get it fixed though.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Mountaineer View Post

Under Kentucky Law, perhaps an insurance company can not deny payment. But, that doesn't prevent someone that you hit from suing you and winning.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    Under Kentucky Law, perhaps an insurance company can not deny payment. But, that doesn't prevent someone that you hit from suing you and winning.
    Working brakes won't prevent that either...
    2000 Ranger 518vx - 2019 Mercury Pro xs 200

12. Member
    Can someone maybe point me in a direction to finds parts and maybe info on fixing it?

13. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kyduck View Post
    Can someone maybe point me in a direction to finds parts and maybe info on fixing it?
    https://www.easternmarine.com/hydrau...rake-actuators. They are a BBC sponsor.

You’ll first need to identify your actuator since the trailer tongue is made for a specific one.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Quote Originally Posted by cmbtvet View Post
    Working brakes won't prevent that either...
    But, if your brakes were not working, the plaintiff's attorney is going to argue negligence and is going to recover a whole lot more in damages than if your brakes were working. It's also possible that you might be sued for contributory negligence for not having working trailer brakes even though someone else caused the accident. A jury of 12 people who know little to nothing about towing and trailering can be easily convinced that your failure to do proper maintenance significantly contributed to injury or property damage.

15. Member
    Alright, I took the plunge and ordered the whole actuator. Could you all please direct me on some resources to tackle the project myself. Thanks

16. Member
    you tube is your friend use it for some good info.
    Rocket

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 375VTROCKET View Post
    you tube is your friend use it for some good info.
    Already checked there, nothing specific I could find. Different models and trailer designs.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kyduck View Post
    Alright, I took the plunge and ordered the whole actuator. Could you all please direct me on some resources to tackle the project myself. Thanks
    Just make sure you ordered the correct actuator, drum brakes use a different actuator than disc brakes do.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Just make sure you ordered the correct actuator, drum brakes use a different actuator than disc brakes do.
    I ordered directly from ranger, who I assume knows from records what trailer components I need. We'll see, but thanks

20. Member
    All these surge brake systems pretty much operate the same way. There are plenty of adequate YouTube videos .You are going to have to mechanically install it then hook up the brake lines then fill and bleed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast