Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Moderator
    It's simple to do. Can be done in a couple of hours. Will need a second set of hands to bleed.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by plbass View Post
    It's simple to do. Can be done in a couple of hours. Will need a second set of hands to bleed.
    Many methods to bleed with one man. I'm old and still do it.

3. Member
    I'll give it a go and maybe chime back in if I run into any issues. Appreciate the advice so far

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kyduck View Post
    I'll give it a go and maybe chime back in if I run into any issues. Appreciate the advice so far
    Couple of tips for planning. Get some penetrating oil soaking on the big pins that go through the tongue to hold the actuator in place. They can stick, and you want them to come out easily.

Get some 3/4” wooden dowel. Cut two pieces the same length as the width of the actuator. When you get ready to put the actuator in, put the dowels in the holes to hold everything together. Just push them out with the pins when you install them.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

5. Member
    Got sick and tired of fixing my brakes that seemed like they were always needing something so I disconnected mine. After the trailer almost catching fire because the brakes locked up I'd just had it with the brake system and disconnected it. I've pulled many 18ft bass boats without trailer brakes and like mine much better without them. People can flame on me all they want but now I don't have to worry about sitting on the side of the road because of some stupid brake malfunction and I have no problem stopping without them. To each their own I guess but I just don't think an 18ft bass boat needs trailer brakes...

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrh_67 View Post
    Got sick and tired of fixing my brakes that seemed like they were always needing something so I disconnected mine. After the trailer almost catching fire because the brakes locked up I'd just had it with the brake system and disconnected it. I've pulled many 18ft bass boats without trailer brakes and like mine much better without them. People can flame on me all they want but now I don't have to worry about sitting on the side of the road because of some stupid brake malfunction and I have no problem stopping without them. To each their own I guess but I just don't think an 18ft bass boat needs trailer brakes...
    That's why I removed the surge brakes on my trailer and installed electric. If they give a problem just unplug em (they are on a dedicated circuit).
    Rocket

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 375VTROCKET View Post
    That's why I removed the surge brakes on my trailer and installed electric. If they give a problem just unplug em (they are on a dedicated circuit).
    Did you have a shop do that or you DIY?

8. Member
    Towed my zx200 for 2 years after removing the brakes. Stopped it just fine with my single cab duramax
    Murray State Alum
    2007 Champion 210 with all the toys

I put electric on mine and love them
    2005 champion 196 oh what a ride

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barbarian View Post
    Did you have a shop do that or you DIY?
    Did the change over myself but I am very mechanical anyway.
    Rocket

11. Member
    Did the change over myself but I am very mechanical anyway.

What was the ballpark cost to do this yourself? I wouldn't mind doing something like this if it's practical cost wise...

12. Member
    So the new actuator assembly has a blue and white wire coming out of it where the old one just had a blue one? i assume i just hook up the blue one again? Any idea what the white one is for and if I need to do anything with it?

13. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    So the new actuator assembly has a blue and white wire coming out of it where the old one just had a blue one? i assume i just hook up the blue one again? Any idea what the white one is for and if I need to do anything with it?
    Likely a dedicated ground for the solenoid. That is a good thing.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

14. Member
    Alrighty, I think I just finished up. Any way to check and make sure everything is good to go? When I tried with the broken one that I just replaced the brakes were red hot after a 20 min drive. I'd rather not mess anything up or go through that again. Appreciate the help.

15. Member
    And I do feel like if feel a bit of resistance when I am backing the trailer now...def more so than the short tow around the block driving around.
    Last edited by kyduck; 09-20-2020 at 10:18 AM.

16. Member
    So I recently tried to change my brake fluid in a used boat o bought a couple years ago and figured out that the actuator is broken and not functioning. I’ve tried to get in touch with a few local shops about a repair and they have no interest and just blow me off. I’m not comfortable with it personally from the research I’ve done but might have to resort to it. It’s on a 2011 ranger z521 and I pull with a f250. Is it plausible to just keep rolling like this or should I reconsider?
    Kyduck,

I am in the same situation that you are having, and I did not even know that my entire braking system was corroded to the point of being useless. I pulled my Viper Cobra, which is about the same weight set up or maybe a little lighter with my 1 ton before my current 1/2 ton. All the parts you need are through this folks and they are very helpful in getting you the right parts, even when they need to special order.
    https://www.trailerpartsdepot.com
    I am redoing everything, actuator, lines and complete brakes on back plates including bearings. It is not cheap, but I never put a price on the safety of others and myself on the road.
    Be well and be safe.

17. Member
    Electric brakes are not allowed on boat trailer, since if you do not unplug them when in the water the electric actuated magnets will activate and crap out.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    Electric brakes are not allowed on boat trailer, since if you do not unplug them when in the water the electric actuated magnets will activate and crap out.

That feeling of being pushed into an intersection on wet roads is something I don't want to experience again
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger519VS View Post
    That feeling of being pushed into an intersection on wet roads is something I don't want to experience again

Wise man.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast