Thread: ffuel line

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    Fuel line isn't very expensive at all. Not sure why a person wouldn't just get it from a Mercury dealer, at least you know you are getting the right stuff.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

2. Member
    I found low permeable A15 fuel line at a local boat dealer for $1.99/ft. It was $5/ft everywhere else.

3. Member
    I have a hard time justifying "marine" fuel line as well. Car fuel lines see a worse environment DAILY under a vehicle than anybody puts their boats through. Between the moisture, use under huge temp swings (-30F to 105F), ethanol, salts, etc the automotive stuff has to be up to par in my mind. The only thing I could see being different is where the line is exposed above the deck to UV, but in my situation, it is in a bundle, so it doesn't even see sun.

4. Member
    Use whatever you want on your way to Walmart to get oil.
    1997 Ranger 692VS
    2014 Mercury 175 Pro XS 2B111166

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Rod View Post
    Use whatever you want on your way to Walmart to get oil.
    What are you trying to say?? They sell Merc oil (quicksilver)at Walmart, should we not be buying that?
    Andy

2004 Pro Craft 192 SuperPro

6. #FRB
    Just thinking back I do remember the black fuel line I put on my first boat shedding black powder. Guess I'll go with Merc line this Fall when I do the yearly maintenance. I bought the boat new and it has the same line it had on it 4.5 years ago when I pulled it home.

Now, if the black line pukes powder on a boat wouldn't it be a problem in the automotive environment too or is this more of a UV problem? Just having a hard time wrapping my head around why it's supposedly fine for one application but not for another that's basically the same. OR is it more of a fuel sitting in the line without any movement issue?
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Highcentered View Post
    Just thinking back I do remember the black fuel line I put on my first boat shedding black powder. Guess I'll go with Merc line this Fall when I do the yearly maintenance. I bought the boat new and it has the same line it had on it 4.5 years ago when I pulled it home.

Now, if the black line pukes powder on a boat wouldn't it be a problem in the automotive environment too or is this more of a UV problem? Just having a hard time wrapping my head around why it's supposedly fine for one application but not for another that's basically the same. OR is it more of a fuel sitting in the line without any movement issue?
    I think it is more to do with fire resistance in marine applications to make it "legal" So, yes all dealers have to use it
    Andy

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aarchdale View Post
    What are you trying to say?? They sell Merc oil (quicksilver)at Walmart, should we not be buying that?
    I forget you American's have a much better selection than we do in Canada. Apparently you can buy a Toyota oil filter at your Walmart.

Back to the line. I also believe the main line is meant to be sitting in a wet bilge. Automotive is not.
    1997 Ranger 692VS

9. Member
    For information:

What exactly do the USCG designators mean on fuel hose, and does it make any real difference?

Answer: Excellent question, and yes, it certainly could make a difference what fuel hose you use, depending upon the location on your boat. The U.S. Coast Guard addresses fuel line requirements in the code of federal regulations (CFR) that applies to recreational boats: CFR Title 33. The regulations address in great detail issues related to gasoline fuel systems. The new designator, Type A1-15 describes hose that is less permeable than your old hose, which was simply rated A-1. The photo above shows that array of new cryptic marking that is required on all fuel hoses used in gasoline fuel system on boats. Besides the USCG designation, you can also see some EPA, SAE, and ISO designators. All of these designators are intended to address requirements existing in the global marketplace. Here in the U.S., the USCG designator is the one you need to focus on.

Marine-grade fuel hose is much heavier than the same inside-diameter hose as used in automotive applications. This is done as part of its fire or flame testing, a requirement under the regulations. All fuel hose used in engine room spaces on board gasoline-fueled boats must meet a 2.5-minute fire test rating.

The EPA weighed in several years ago, and the new A1-15 designation is addressing the permeation rate for the hose. This is all a part of the new, much stricter evaporative emission requirements now in place for all newly built gasoline-fueled boats. The American Boat and Yacht Council (ABYC) also addresses this in its H-24, Gasoline Fuel System Standards, which essentially mirror USCG and EPA requirements in place today.

So, by design, your new A1-15 fuel hose is rated to a maximum vapor permeation of 15 grams per square meter in a 24-hour period. This compares to a maximum vapor permeation of 100 grams per 24 hour period for your old hose. This represents a significant reduction in the amount of fuel vapor that can actually migrate through the hose. Hose with this rating is acceptable by the EPA for all applications on board.

An important nuance found within the H-24 Standard is the difference between type “A” and type “B” hose. The type B hose is not fire tested, and should only be used in non-engine room spaces.
    2013 A211 250 Pro XS
    Bob"s 10" Action Series Hydraulic Jack Plate
    2-8' Power Poles

Excellent information Mr. Cooper

SO ....... Don't think for a minute that if your boat catches fire the insurance adjuster or Coast Guard accident investigators won't check the hose to see if it is the proper test rating for the application ~ Provided there is enough left to check.

We spend more money on the best line instead of the good line. The best reels instead of the good reels. The best rods instead of the good rods. The best batteries instead of the good batteries. These topics are discussed at great length daily. And then worry about a few dollars on something that carries combustible fuel? Just doesn't make good sense to me .........

11. Member
    I think more people are worried about availability than a few dollars. If i can go down the road and get a line that will work it gets me on the water faster than having to order one and wait 3-4 days. Its one of those arguments on here that will never be won lol. Kinda like the merc additives argument.
    Andy

12. Member
    I had never thought of the fire resistant situation... That argument or spec would only apply to under the cowling as it is laid out "in engine room" for the A 115.

I personally am not interested in permeation rates and the amount of pollution my fuel lines create, but I won't argue if that is something you're worried about.

To each his own, but the USCG is a military organization, so of course a mil spec will be much more stringent than a standard spec. The whole "we buy a lot of expensive stuff" argument is also so overused, and really gross overkill. By that logic we would all be driving 2021 boats with new outboards, and a locker full of custom rods.

I enjoy playing devil's advocate a little bit...

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thamelau View Post
    I had never thought of the fire resistant situation... That argument or spec would only apply to under the cowling as it is laid out "in engine room" for the A 115.

I personally am not interested in permeation rates and the amount of pollution my fuel lines create, but I won't argue if that is something you're worried about.

To each his own, but the USCG is a military organization, so of course a mil spec will be much more stringent than a standard spec. The whole "we buy a lot of expensive stuff" argument is also so overused, and really gross overkill. By that logic we would all be driving 2021 boats with new outboards, and a locker full of custom rods.

I enjoy playing devil's advocate a little bit...

They all say the normal black lines are fine under the hood if that makes any since. But i get it because they only sell about a foot under the hood so its not profitable to push that
    Andy

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ecoast View Post
    Because Merc line does it too; from my boat:

Have to wonder how old that particular line is. Definitely appears to have seen it's better days, both inside AND out.

Also- appears that the wrong/incorrect clamps were used as well.

Regardless of what YOU choose to use in your boat for fuel line... keep in mind that it's inner liner needs to hold up to being under a VACUUM (low pressure) while fuel is being pulled through it, so what might seem like a moderate bend now may easily be a liner sucking flat later.

Lines used in Marine Applications need to meet specific standards (both a USCG Rating AND an EPA (low permeation) rating.
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 08-14-2020 at 05:33 PM.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

15. #FRB
    Ever argue with a fellow boat owner that their aging fuel line (most probably over 10 years old) is probably about to cause problems? And then a year or less later they're having performance issues. Then they still don't want to drop modest coin on fuel line as preventative maintenance AFTER the motor starts having fuel related problems.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

16. Member
    I changed my line to the tank, bulb, and line to the fuel pump with Mercury approved parts from my marina.
    Cost was under $200.00 cdn (what is that $75 American? lol)
    That's what it costs me for a tank of gas.
    As the boat was new to me, it gave me a baseline.
    1997 Ranger 692VS

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Highcentered View Post
    What's wrong with the ethanol resistant line from the auto parts store?
    What I'm running. SAE 30 R 14 TT
    Last edited by RFSims; 08-14-2020 at 11:25 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12