62 60.19%
  • Husqvarna

22 21.36%
  • Cub Cadet

19 18.45%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    http://www.mynewsdesk.com/yanmar/new...mission-374858

They make the transmissions for most mowers. Buy the mower with the best engine/transmission combo you can afford.

I bought the X350 this time with a Kawasaki engine that’s smooth...my last mower was a 12 or 13 year old Hustler ZTR with a Honda engine. Hustler cannot no longer get the drive axles for the mower I had. It was a GREAT mower considering I paid a grand used. The new tractor has serviceable spindles. Buying one that was serviceable was important to me. In the Deere line you’ll have to step up to the X370 for a serviceable transmission.

2. Member
    Cub Cadet going on 15 years mowing 2 acres with no issues other than routine maintenance easy to work on and easy to find parts.
    Bass Boat
    Powered by an outboard
    Electronics at helm and up front
    Pulled by my truck

3. Member
    I have had a JD 190 series riding mower since 2006 with hardly any issues. It has 3 blades and a 52 inch cut. I also bought a new JD 5045 farm tractor in 2012 and am very happy with it as well. I use it to bush hog my property with a 6 foot bush hog. I love my husqvarna chain saws though.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Mountaineer View Post
    As ChampioNman said, the E series mowers are made by John Deere in a JD factory in Tennessee. Models are exactly the same whether they go to a big box, JD dealer, or other lawn and garden stores.

Here's an informative article that covers all the bases, including a good discussion on each 100 series mower and the mowing application they're best suited for. It was written in 2017 so the models reviewed are D100 series which were replaced by the current E100 series. However, they're basically the same.

https://mycountryacre.com/2017-john-...-lawn-tractors
    Good info thanks. I'm going to stop by Low's and compare the John Deere E130 22-HP V-twin to a Husqvarna YTH18542 18.5-HP. I like the JD's extra power of the v twin but Husqvarna has an extra year on the warranty and is $300 less. I guess it's just going to be which one feels better.

Thanks to everyone for the help!
    Last edited by 5 Alive; 08-08-2020 at 08:00 AM.

5. Georgia Bass Club Moderator fishnfool38's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 Alive View Post
    Good info thanks. I'm going to stop by Low's and compare the John Deere E130 22-HP V-twin to a Husqvarna YTH18542 18.5-HP. I like the JD's extra power of the v twin but Husqvarna has an extra year on the warranty and is $300 less. I guess it's just going to be which one feels better.

Thanks to everyone for the help!
    They have Ariens there the Ikon xd is the upper line one, the Edge is comparable to the John Deere, Husqvarna, Cub Cadet etc... the Ariens deck is fabricated and not a stamped stand on the deck of each one you'll see the difference.

After doing quite a bit of research lately on John Deere mowers it turns out there is zero difference between a JD mower sold at a dealer or at a big box store if they share the same model number. They do not build a retail version and a dealer version of the same model. There are models sold in retail that dealers do not carry and vice versa.
    Also it seems as if JD builds JD and do not subcontract out to other builders.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    The Deere debate goes on here for years. There is a member here that works for Deere at the plant in TN, says ALL JD mowers are made at the plant there doesn't matter if it goes to a big box store or sold at an Ag-Pro store. I've had an E140 Deere for two years now 48" 3 blade, hydrostatic drive from Lowe's all of those have been set up and approved by Ag-Pro. I mow 2.5 acres and works great! I had a D105 JD manual shift worked great and mowed 2.5 Acres no issues. Had an MTD before that and was junk.

Glad someone else knows that too.

I actually talked with the John Deere Dealer in my area and he told me Directly that the Mowers sold at Lowes and Home Depot are the Exact Same Mowers and he sells. In Fact HE gets called into Lowes and HD to Put them Together--the Only Seller that Requires a Servicing Dealer put their machines together at a Big Box Store.

The major difference is IF you have a issue with your Mower and you bought it From Him he will put you to the front of the line ahead of any bought elsewhere. Other than that He Does all the Service and Warranty Work on the Tractors sold at Lowes and HD.

I bought the D130 and love it. Does an excellent job. When I bought mine they were selling for $2990. Now you can get them for $2090. Same Basic Tractor.

These Guys that keep saying the ones sold at Lowes and HD are different are just spreading old Wives Tales that their Brothers, Sisiters, Aunt told her Cousin twice removed that married the Town Drunk that they were-- so you can take that to the BANK!!!
    Last edited by Deadeye1; 08-08-2020 at 09:09 AM.

8. Member
    My local JD Dealer told me the same thing Deadeye. The biggest difference was deck thickness a lighter duty transmission, and of course came with a Briggs engine vs Kawasaki. If your land is flat that one or the S240 should do fine.

The Husqvarna dealer here acted like answering questions was a chore. They must survive on bigger equipment sales and service? The mowers had basically the same components as JD.

To be honest I put a regular ole Lowes mower through the wringer and back for 8 years back in the mid 90's. That one had a Briggs single cylinder engine and manual transmission.

I have a JD x300 and it’s a good mower but like everything else it’s no way as good as my 2 previous JD mowers

10. Member
    On the E series JD, look for a sticker right below the gas gauge. It clearly states made in Greenville, TN USA. Agree 100% if you have a good JD dealer close, buy it from them. The price will be the same for the same model as in the box store. FWIW, I have an E120 on it's second full season. It's doing fine. Do avoid the Kohler Courage engine.
    Last edited by jbh3; 08-08-2020 at 02:13 PM.

11. Banned
    I have a Husqvarna zt with about 300 hrs on it. No problems so far. Neighbor has a cub cadet riding mower that is a piece of junk

12. Member
    It’s not on your list but I love my Skag Tiger Cat, you should at least look at them. My brother in law just bought a Bad Boy, no comparison is the way they are built!

13. Banned
    If buying from a box store it really doesn't matter. They will all be made by MTD. Pick the one you like best.

14. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BPenrod View Post
    If buying from a box store it really doesn't matter. They will all be made by MTD. Pick the one you like best.
    Not the Deere.

15. Member
    I decided on the JD E130. Thanks everyone!!!

16. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 Alive View Post
    I decided on the JD E130. Thanks everyone!!!
    Now the trick is finding one. Local stores here stock is scarce.

17. Member
    First the engine doesn't matter nor does the horsepower. So that should not even be in the conversation. The best lawn tractor is all about the transmission. Thus even name brand /color is not important. It has been awhile since I tackled this problem typicaly and riding mower with a transmission that you can not service such as changing or doesnt have a changeable filter will fail somewhere between the 400 and 600 mark. The problem is they are not repairable and must be replaced. So you just spent $4,000 on your new 25 HP John Deere from Lowes and four year latter you have to put in a new transmisson for $2,500.

Do your own research on this because as soon as I post this you will have people say well my John Deere is 10 years old and has a thousand hours and runs fine. Lawn tractors are lawn tractors. They are not built for hauling heavy loads in a trailer or climbing hills of any types.

So to just warn you buy a lawn mower with the K46 transmission and you have just wasted your money. To make matters worse it is the mostly widely used transmission across as brands.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 22R View Post
    Best advice if you want a Garden Tractor if you are only cutting grass I would buy a ZTR ( Exmark, Scag, Grasshopper, Hustler ) Buy from reputable dealer if new.
    My G1900 back up to my ZTR attached

Attachment 419961
    That looks a lot better than mine!

My l100 is 18 years old, snd still running beautiful. BS motorhas been great, just change the oil, and clean the deck. She keeps chugging along.

20. Member
    Any of you remember the original Cub Cadet by IH they were all heavy ga. steel and cast iron. including the transmission and the rear and front axle's.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast