250 SHO smoking at startup and water in the engine oil

have a 15 FX20 with a 14 250 SHO, 90 hours . It just started smoking at startup and I have water in my oil. Changed thermostats and I still have water. I’m assuming cracked head from the research I’ve done. Problem is my mechanic can’t locate the crack and in order for Yamaha to work with me they need a cause. It’s no longer under warranty but everything I’ve read says Yamaha will help me out. Anyone had this happen and have info on locating crack? He said he can usually find them no problem but this one is being difficult. Thanks in advance, super bummed out I can’t fish anymore especially with the year we’re all having!

2. Member
    Was the power head replaced under the Yamaha replacement program? If not I would call Yamaha directly give them the information. Demand they replace it! My brother had a 2012 200 SHO with a little over 100 hours and had the same issue. No warnings just failure. The shop he took it to just told him he would have to replace the power head, around $10,000. I told him to call Yamaha and he did. Yamaha replace the power head at no cost to my brother. Don't let them push you around!
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

3. Member
    It hasn’t been replaced. Everything I’m hearing about Yamaha is they will take care of me. That’s why I bought one. Problem is we can’t find the issue and they need to hear from my mechanic as to the cause .

4. Member
    Around head bolts, exhaust valves and anodes. You’ll have to remove and pressure test to find it. Good luck with Yamaha.
    Lake&Bay Boca
    SHO

5. Member
    Thanks Clarkbird, he’s going to do a leak down test next, already flushed water through it with the valve covers off. Everything I’ve read about Yamaha is very positive. I found an old thread on heat with an bunch of the same issue, same year and Yamaha made it right even when they were out of warranty .

6. Member
    Leak down a waste at this point imo and won’t likely tell you anything. Waters under both valve covers or just one?
    Last edited by ClarkBird; 08-08-2020 at 07:53 AM.
    Lake&Bay Boca
    SHO

7. Member
    Yea I’m not sure why he’s doing that then. He said he can usually find these cracks no problem but this one is giving him a hard time. It sounds like he’s loosing interest too which bums me out.

8. Member
    on Lake Hartwell in Westminster, SC 29693
    just have him come up with a 'reason', and tell that to yamaha to get process going...

9. Member
    Be nice first, there is time later to be aggressive.
    You can go from nice to aggressive,
    but
    you can't go from aggressive back to nice.

10. Member
    Ya got that right print man! I had to bite my tongue when I called customer service. It ended Pretty well tho. Also my mechanic spoke to a Different guy Who was very cool with him . Fingers crossed!

11. Member
    Hope it works out for you. Yamaha took care of me for the same issue and had me back on the water quickly. Almost 250 hours accumulated on the replacement powerhead.