Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2D/DI Issues with Helix 10 G3N

I have 3 Helix 10's and MEGA 360 imaging connected through an ethernet box. I utilize two graphs at the bow, one for 2D and Mapping with the other for strictly MEGA 360 imaging. My Ultrex also has the DI transducer built in and recently I have began experiencing issues with my Bow unit not displaying 2D and DI. It will run for short periods after restoring defaults and then stop altogether and will revert to strictly mapping or the connected 360. Is this an potential issue with my built-in transducer or a problem with the Helix unit itself?
    Last edited by ctian002; 08-07-2020 at 03:54 PM.

2. Member
    I am anxious to know the answer to that question as well. In anticipation of the Mega 360, I updated to latest software on my Helix 12 3GN and it is doing the same thing. My DI transducer is connected to the lower unit of my trolling motor. After the update it worked great for a few hours and now the DI transducer will not ping. I have the old 360 but the Mega 360 is due to arrive today. Hopefully it will correct itself when the Mega 360 is installed.

Same issues here. Helix 12 GN3 with Mega 360
    First the Helix would not recognize the 360 at all.. Returned Helix and repaired.. everything worked fine for about an hour before losing 2D and DI-- was in a 2 day tournament so I removed the 360.. Next time out I had DI but no 2D.. next time out had DI and intermittent 2D but when it did work it was week signal (didn't show same as DI)
    H-bird is sending new Y cable.. I think this Helix is jacked !! Time will tell

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Same issues here. Helix 12 GN3 with Mega 360
    First the Helix would not recognize the 360 at all.. Returned Helix and repaired.. everything worked fine for about an hour before losing 2D and DI-- was in a 2 day tournament so I removed the 360.. Next time out I had DI but no 2D.. next time out had DI and intermittent 2D but when it did work it was week signal (didn't show same as DI)
    H-bird is sending new Y cable.. I think this Helix is jacked !! Time will tell
    I'm having the exact same issue after getting my unit back from H Bird. Although after getting the Helix unit back my M360 and Helix 12 is working perfectly. I'm running a Helix 12 MDI G3N along with a Helix 9 G2N Sonar GPS at the bow. The 12 I use just for the M360 and it is showing the depth so I know the transducer is working. But on my 9 which I run 2d and mapping is showing nothing on the 2D. Sometimes it will mysteriously appear for a short time then go back to not working. Please post on the results with the new Y cable. I'm regretting updating to the 2.18 software on the Helix 9 as I was never going to use it for M360 and was only going to use it for the Sonar/DI and mapping. I've never had issues with any of my units until getting the M360 and the 2.18 software update. Not sure if I would have been able to get the 2D/DI reading through the Y cable/ethernet with software prior to 2.18 but if I can I really want to switch back and see if that will help.
    2016 Phoenix 921 ProXP
    2016 Mercury 250 Pro XS

Please post on the results with the new Y cable.
    Will do - I have my doubts thats the issue, wish I could find someone with a compatible GN3 I could hook up.. would know real quick if it was the unit or something else.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooker11 View Post
    I'm having the exact same issue after getting my unit back from H Bird. Although after getting the Helix unit back my M360 and Helix 12 is working perfectly. I'm running a Helix 12 MDI G3N along with a Helix 9 G2N Sonar GPS at the bow. The 12 I use just for the M360 and it is showing the depth so I know the transducer is working. But on my 9 which I run 2d and mapping is showing nothing on the 2D. Sometimes it will mysteriously appear for a short time then go back to not working. Please post on the results with the new Y cable. I'm regretting updating to the 2.18 software on the Helix 9 as I was never going to use it for M360 and was only going to use it for the Sonar/DI and mapping. I've never had issues with any of my units until getting the M360 and the 2.18 software update. Not sure if I would have been able to get the 2D/DI reading through the Y cable/ethernet with software prior to 2.18 but if I can I really want to switch back and see if that will help.
    A while back I posted with the same problem.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1065776&highlight=

Cooker do you have your units networked together? At the time I was having issues I had shut my console unit off rather than putting it on standby. I’m not sure why that would cause m360 2D/DI issues up front, but I haven’t shut it off since and haven’t had the problem.
    Last edited by lauzon4; 08-10-2020 at 08:17 PM.

7. Member
    Last night I flipped the sonar cables around with my two bow units, moving the MEGA 360 cable to my unit previously utilizing 2D/Mapping and the built-in MEGA DI transducer cable to the old MEGA 360 unit. Went out and fished for several hours without issue. Obviously I would prefer the setup I had originally but right now I'm going to run things this way unless I encounter further issues. My dealer recommended doing this switch and said if the issues persist it's likely due to a faulty unit, which will need to be sent back to Humminbird.

Thanks for the update..
    If I'm reading this right by changing head units you have pretty much ruled out bad cables or transducers and the issue points to the original Helix..

I won't be able to test the new cable until next week.. Will be sure to update what I find.

9. Member
    Yup exactly.

ctian002, what's different with your working config? Are they not the same exact Helix units or is it just the swap of functionality from one unit to the other that's different? Could you remount them and swap locations?

11. Member
    They are the exact same unit (Helix 10 G3N), so as you mentioned I am just swapping the functionality from one to the other. I know the one unit was faulty when hooked to the Built-in Ultrex DI transducer as I followed all guidance, restored defaults, etc. Now I am simply testing if it shows similar issues when hooked to the MEGA 360. I've only put a couple hours in so far without issue, however, I have a day trip this Saturday and will report back my findings.

12. Member
    Same issue here. Updated my front helix 10 MDI g2n to the new software. Next time out the picture wasn’t even that great for a couple hours. Then just went fuzzy. Called Hbird and they told me to try my SI unit up front and if it worked on DI and SI up front I could send my unit in to get repaired for 310 plus tax. Seems like this maybe more of a software update than a problem I need to it to have fixed...... but I guess it could be coincidence. Any way to revert an update?

Quote Originally Posted by MercJP View Post
    Same issue here. Updated my front helix 10 MDI g2n to the new software. Next time out the picture wasn’t even that great for a couple hours. Then just went fuzzy. Called Hbird and they told me to try my SI unit up front and if it worked on DI and SI up front I could send my unit in to get repaired for 310 plus tax. Seems like this maybe more of a software update than a problem I need to it to have fixed...... but I guess it could be coincidence. Any way to revert an update?
    If you installed 2.280, you cannot backdate the unit. If you did 2.180, then you can.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

14. Banned
    I have a H10 G3N at the console that is intended to be only used for mapping and high speed 2D and connected to the glued in transducer, software is now at 2.28. Unit is connected to two H12 and Ulterra USI. The H10 keeps losing 2d as it continually changes the transducer to 360 even though I don't even have 360. By chance are your units also changing the transducer to 360? This might make sense as if the one unit did not do 2D but will do 360, then maybe the transducer did change to 360. I can restore defaults and not make any of my normal changes and will still revert to 360 transducer. I can see the other two transducer's 2D so I believe a software bug and not the H10 unit itself.

15. Member
    I went out yesterday and experienced the same issues as before. 2D/DI worked for approx. 10 mins and then just quit altogether, meaning I had to rely on my transom mounted transducer out of the front of the boat all day for depth... This at least allowed me to diagnose that the units were not the issue (I think) and per my dealer there could be a problem with the cable adapter or Ultrex Bulit-In transducer.

16. Member
    I had the same problem and was told to unhook the 360 unit from the network and this solved my 2d/di from quitting...A known issue with no other solution at this time I was told

Quote Originally Posted by ctian002 View Post
    I went out yesterday and experienced the same issues as before. 2D/DI worked for approx. 10 mins and then just quit altogether, meaning I had to rely on my transom mounted transducer out of the front of the boat all day for depth... This at least allowed me to diagnose that the units were not the issue (I think) and per my dealer there could be a problem with the cable adapter or Ultrex Bulit-In transducer.
    I got the new cable and have it installed.. Will be leaving leaving Monday for a trip and will also have access to a compatible Helix while there.
    If the cable doesn't fix my issues I'll be able to swap head units. I'm hoping it's the Y cable but with my Helix's past issues I think it's the problem.

Service is horrible where I'm staying-- will try to get an update to go out.

I had the same problem and was told to unhook the 360 unit from the network and this solved my 2d/di from quitting...A known issue with no other solution at this time I was told.
    There are many that work fine.

18. Member
    I’m convinced this issue is related to the Ethernet and how the units are setup to share information. At one point I was about ready to abandon the 5-port Ethernet box try sharing via cable between my bow units only. For now the problem is gone as long as I don’t shut off any of the units and use standby when pulling the Ultrex/m360 or when I want to save power at the console.

Interesting !! But I never power off or put on standby..
    I use the bow unit and my partner uses the console while fishing. Never had any issues before adding the M360

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Interesting !! But I never power off or put on standby..
    I use the bow unit and my partner uses the console while fishing. Never had any issues before adding the M360
    The day I was having all of the issues I finally disconnected the unit with the m360 from the Ethernet and everything was good. I’m not using a Y cable, my 12”Helix is hooked directly and then shared through the Ethernet. My 9” Helix on the bow is hooked to the Ultrex and is the one that was losing 2D and DI. The day this all took place I had shutdown my console unit rather than using standby, so I really don’t know what exactly the cause was, I just know it’s working now.
    Last edited by lauzon4; 08-16-2020 at 01:57 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast