Anyone have a Drotto?

I have been doing my homework on the Drotto bow latch. It seems to work best if you hit it straight on and not at an angle. What I haven’t found is how you know that you are hooked up correctly.

If you have one can you tell without leaning over the bow and looking at it?
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

2. Member
    I installed one over the winter. Only used it once so far & so far but I like it. There is an audible click when the mechanism latches on the bow eye.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lundfisherman View Post
    There is an audible click when the mechanism latches on the bow eye.
    Is it loud enough that you can hear it over the motor as you power load?

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    On a bunk trailer, if you are at the right depth you can’t hit the stop at an angle.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

5. Member
    I am considering it for a roller trailer.

6. Member
    I am considering it for a roller trailer.
    Is this for a V tin boat?

Buddy has a 18" V tin with rollers and works great.

I have a 17.5 V tin on bunks and works pretty good, needs a little more power to latch mechanism.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    Is this for a V tin boat?

Buddy has a 18" V tin with rollers and works great.

I have a 17.5 V tin on bunks and works pretty good, needs a little more power to latch mechanism.
    Yes, for a boat I will take possession of in September. I am by myself most of the time and think it will be a big help launching as well as retrieving. I am going to try both without it, and install the Drotto if I don’t like how it goes. The idea of needing to run the motor to stay on the trailer doesn’t appeal to me.

8. Member
    I am by myself most of the time and think it will be a big help launching as well as retrieving.
    Definitely get the Drotto if your using a roller trailer by yourself.

Never liked the idea of the engine in gear and running to hold the boat, especially when you move to the bow and shift weight.

9. Member
    I installed one this season, have power loaded into it close to 100 times. Mine came with a raised release handle - you can see it jump and hear the mechanism when you're latched. My only criticism with it is that it appears to be a tad tall - taking some pressure off the forward bunk support (gonna try moving the winch stand forward a bit to mitigate that).

1990 Ranger 362V Yamaha Pro-V 150
    Old Town Predator MinnKota

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassboat1 View Post
    Mine came with a raised release handle - you can see it jump and hear the mechanism when you're latched.
    Bingo. That is perfect.

11. Member
    I installed one this season, have power loaded into it close to 100 times. Mine came with a raised release handle - you can see it jump and hear the mechanism when you're latched. My only criticism with it is that it appears to be a tad tall - taking some pressure off the forward bunk support (gonna try moving the winch stand forward a bit to mitigate that).
    Yes

Had to lower/move forward the winch stand an inch to keep boat loaded at end of bunks(stock) position.

12. Member
    Great for old farts that want to keep fishing alone.

13. Member
    I Love mine on my roller trailer , easy to load and unload !

14. Member
    got one for a fiberglass boat and it does what you need and yes you feel and hear the clic !

15. Member
    I got one this season for my 20' Crestliner. I really like it. I always had trouble getting straight on the trailer, but got a couple of bunk guide ons and with the latch it catches every time. The only problem I have had is when we come across a steep ramp. We have found that we need to change how far into the water the trailer goes. For steep ramps the trailer needs to be farther out of the water so that the boat is actually on the bunks before it hits the latch because the angle of the approach of the bow causes the bow to hit under the latch. Another thing we have tried is to have the guy driving the truck back out a little farther after the boat is on the bunks and then just lightly power the rest of the way until the latch connects.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sra61 View Post
    I got one this season for my 20' Crestliner. I really like it. I always had trouble getting straight on the trailer, but got a couple of bunk guide ons and with the latch it catches every time. The only problem I have had is when we come across a steep ramp. We have found that we need to change how far into the water the trailer goes. For steep ramps the trailer needs to be farther out of the water so that the boat is actually on the bunks before it hits the latch because the angle of the approach of the bow causes the bow to hit under the latch. Another thing we have tried is to have the guy driving the truck back out a little farther after the boat is on the bunks and then just lightly power the rest of the way until the latch connects.
    Sounds like some taller guide-ons would be a plus at those ramps?

17. Member
    Thanks for all of the input. I told my builder to put one on.

18. Member
    The only problem I have had is when we come across a steep ramp. We have found that we need to change how far into the water the trailer goes. For steep ramps the trailer needs to be farther out of the water so that the boat is actually on the bunks before it hits the latch because the angle of the approach of the bow causes the bow to hit under the latch. Another thing we have tried is to have the guy driving the truck back out a little farther after the boat is on the bunks and then just lightly power the rest of the way until the latch connects.
    Spray silicone on the first 4 ft of the longer bunks( usually the keel bunks) to help in pushing the boat up with the motor.

Go slow after you apply silicone spray.

You will be amazed at how little power you need to latch the boat.