Starter seems to turn slowly

Hi,
    J150NXEUC..., G04310147....., 1997 Johnson 150 Ocean Runner.
    When I start the engine the starter seems to turn slower than it should. Definitely compared to other engine. If the engine is cold it can be difficult to start engine. I thought at first it could be a weak battery. I do have a guest battery charger which keeps it topped up. I took the battery in to have it load tested and they say the battery is healthy. I replaced the battery switch as it is quite old and cleaned all contacts. Could a weak or faulty starter solenoid cause this or maybe the starter is the culprit.
    Thanks,
    PT

Its a 1997 engine, the starter may be worn out. Look at grounds on the engine, starter solenoid, and battery. If all good get a new starter.
    RUSTY63 in a Shiny Green Jacket.......

3. Member
    will do, Thanks Elgin

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    If you want to save a little bit of coin you can bring your starter to an Auto Electric shop and have it rebuilt, I do this a lot for customers and it is usually about $75 USD.

Don't discount battery cables to the motor especially in a salt water environment. Depending on the quality of the cable you can have internal battery cable corrosion.

5. Member
    Thanks CM that is a good thought. I will check out both ideas.

6. Member
    Update: I have done a lot of troubleshooting on this problem. Checked and cleaned all connections. Thought maybe it was the battery switch, and changed it. Was not the problem. Did a voltage drop test and that did not show any problems. I was left with the starter itself. Replaced it with an old one I had from years ago, ( thats a different story, where it was replaced and did not need to be, but I kept the starter), starts up now like a champ! Thanks for the imputs