Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Engine smoking lots at idle and excessive oil consumption

Hi All,
    J150NXEUC..., G04310147....., 1997 Johnson 150 Ocean Runner.
    I have twins and one engine seems to be smoking lots at idle compared to the other. At cruise seems to be just fine. Oil consumption also is much higher on offending engine. I had this same issue several years ago and it seemed to be an air leak on a fuel line, which I replaced. I dont see any air bubbles in the inlet fuel line. I will check the cylinder temps today. Before I go down the road of swapping out the VRO, could a defective pulse limiter cause excessive oil consumption?
    Thanks
    PT

Usually a defective pulse limiter will cause a failed VRO pump.

Check the things you listed before you replace the VRO.
    RUSTY63 in a Shiny Green Jacket.......

3. Member
    Thanks Elgin. Will do some more troubleshooting first, pumps fairly expensive.

4. Member
    You're probably already aware but just in case, they make rebuild kits for the vro pumps. I had a similar issue. So i took my vro pump apart and found a small tear in the diaphragm. Ordered a rebuild kit from amazon, problem solved. Rebuild kit was $40. Heck of a lot cheaper than a new pump

5. Member
    Thats not a bad idea. Was it smoking and high oil consumption?

Things like that scare me to the point I'd be disabling the VRO, and mixing.

1998 Stratos 285 Pro
    1989 Evinrude XP 150(E150STLCEM)(08199802)
    2004 Ford Explorer NBX V8
    1998 Jeep XJ 4.0L V6
    House Cat named Patches
    Remington 700, Old Cooey 12 gauge, A lot of Fishing Rods
    Some tools, garden hose with outboard attachment, 3 crow decoys, 8 Track Tape player,
    A Billy Bass, and clothing from the 80's.

7. Member
    Yep! Smoking and It did seem like it was using a touch more oil. I think the tear was causing the pump to lose a little bit of vacuum on the fuel side. So it was still pumping oil but less gas causing it to run rich. Upon taking the vro off I also found a small tear in the fuel line between the fuel filter and pump which I'm sure was letting air into the system. I replaced all the fuel and oil lines just to be safe and replace the zip ties with actual fuel line clamps I got from the local auto parts store. Everything seem to be running perfectly now.

8. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    The VRO/OMS systems usually failed to the over oiling side due to diaphrams or air leaks in the fuel lines.....people always want to disable because their engine blew and the shady mechs told them to.....I PROMISE you....if the vro/oms fails you won't have 1 cylinder down.....that engine will be trash....

9. Member
    Thanks guys for the replys, doing some more troubleshooting today. I would say that I am consuming oil at a ratio of about 30:1 right now, which is causing a lot o smoke at idle. I cannot see any bubbles in the site glass where the fuel enters the engine, but I am inspecting the engine fuel lines and fittings today. I also have a fuel flow transducer installed in the fuel line downstream from the tank/ upstream of the fuel bulb. Could a minor fuel restriction in the transducer cause excessive smoke? I have no check engine alarms going off and otherwise engine runs normally.

Fuel system restrictions are not good.

11. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Fuel restrictions in the transducer??

Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Fuel restrictions in the transducer??
    Any devise in the fuel line could be a restriction especially a paddle wheel style transducer.

13. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    I'm getting older and forget about that type of device, when my gauge says to go home or get gas that's what I do.

If that's what his is the paddle wheels would fall off turn sideways and block the fuel flow.

15. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar

16. Member
    All fuel lines look good and all fittings are secure, no leaks detected. Cylinder head temps at idle seem to be around 152-155 F. The fuel transducer is a paddle wheel type. I did not get a chance to bypass it today to see if that is the culprit.I will do that next and post the results. The flow is reading normally on the guage, maybe under reading slightly at idle(compared to other engine). Reading normal at cruise.

If the reading is close to normal its most likely working and not restricting the flow, this is all leading to the VRO itself.

18. Member
    Thats what I am thinking as well. Have you had good success with the rebuild kits? Nitro 92 said it was an easy fix. A new VRO where I am is north of 800 bucks, so I am thinking the rebuild kit would be an option.

I have used several rebuild kits with good luck, just read the instructions completely before you start.

Just so your aware, Amazon now has VRO pump rebuild kits for 30 bucks and complete pumps for under 200 bucks......Just saying.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ELGIN View Post
    I have used several rebuild kits with good luck, just read the instructions completely before you start.

Just so your aware, Amazon now has VRO pump rebuild kits for 30 bucks and complete pumps for under 200 bucks......Just saying.
    back at you I think those are the junk pumps everyone here has talked about and the rebuild kits. I have no experience, just what others have said. I imagine the present OEM rebuild kits are better than we had when they first came out. I had no luck with those things. JMHO better to bite the bullet and use OEM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast