150 optimax with low compression, how hard is the rebuild?

Ot330338 Mercury 2.5 L OptiMax with low compression. Fyi The previous Owner was putting little bottles of 2 stroke oil in the main gas as “extra protection”. Ugh. Anyway. What im trying to figure out is...should i attempt rebuild? Or just sell her for parts and recoup the money. It was a pretty sweet deal. $2500 for boat motor and trailer. Anyway. I am a level 3 mechanic, (out of 5) do i have the skills to do a rebuild on this engine? What special tools will i need?
    how much would it be to take it to a KNOWN opti rebuilder here is southwest fla? Know of anybody?

2. Member
    Cost to have done is usually 4-5K, maybe more if any parts are damaged like compressor or injectors. Have you ever rebuilt a motor? I’ve never rebuilt a motor but if my non Optimax motor blows I may try and rebuild myself but I would have to have the machining work done by a professional. But as far as value, depending on year probably could get a used one for less than rebuilding.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

3. Member
    You might also contact Chris Carson. He is a motor re-builder that's a sponsor here and located down your way. Given the information you provided, I don't think your attempting a rebuild of this engine would provide the result you need. Best of luck whatever you decide.

4. Member
    ^^^^+1^^^^
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

5. Member
    I belive anyone with decent mechanic skills can rebuild one , get the rite merc manual for it and big clean table for parts and such , really not that hard. Haven't done a opti but have done 2.0 2.4 and 2.5 merc. Just make sure the machine shop really knows what they r doin

Quote Originally Posted by Merc2.4 View Post
    I belive anyone with decent mechanic skills can rebuild one , get the rite merc manual for it and big clean table for parts and such , really not that hard. Haven't done a opti but have done 2.0 2.4 and 2.5 merc. Just make sure the machine shop really knows what they r doin
    I have been in the repair business for over fifty years, and I would never let 90 % of the mechanics out there inside of my motors Outboard or Automotive. This is not say they are not good at other things though
    It is up to the builder of the motor to verify all machine work has been done correctly, if they can not do this, they should not be inside the motor

In fact I could say the same for many of the builders out there
    Thank You Leon Pugh

Just a note on your “FYI”, it is a good idea to add a small amount of Premium Plus oil to the gas to keep injectors lubed. If you add too much I would imagine you can really screw up a motor. Also, oil systems in DFI motors are way different than older outboards.

Just get it over to Chris Carson for a tear down and estimate for a rebuild.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    I have been in the repair business for over fifty years, and I would never let 90 % of the mechanics out there inside of my motors Outboard or Automotive. This is not say they are not good at other things though
    It is up to the builder of the motor to verify all machine work has been done correctly, if they can not do this, they should not be inside the motor

agree 100%
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post

im lucky enuff that I don't and won't ever have to check anything my machinist has touched , I'm sure u knew of ruck and how good he was ? I can guarantee my guy is better. But if I didn't know the guy doing the work ,then absolutely check every single thing. Really no kidding, as long as I'm using my guy I will never have to use bore Guage etc. Thats the main reason I'm so comfortable building my engines in my garage. But I also have experts that will help if I need it. That's worth alot in its self

Ur correct bout builders out there. I wouldn't let touch a bicycle

10. Member
    better than JIM RUCK i need is number
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    better than JIM RUCK i need is number
    Guy name Bobby (retired now) was merc mechanic and was using ruck with no issues , well he got real busy and had find another machine guy, he found d this guy out tn and started using him and ruck , he said by time ruck retired the other guy had surpassed ruck in knowledge and said his port work was nothing like anything he had seen , so I started using him bout 3 yr ago. Catch is he only does it part time , evening and weekends , so he stays covered up , he the main machinist for Chrysler where he works. He also does everything else, cleans injectors, checks ecu, makes his own reeds, sleeves, etc