Thread: jerkbait

jerkbait

have never owned one if i was going to buy 3-4 what would you go with, and any tips

2. Member
    How much do ya wanna spend??? You could get some Megabass 110s though I’ve done just as well with my 110 knockoffs from Lucky Strike. There’s a lot of really good jerkbaits on the market.

3. Member
    I love my 110s from Megabass but have caught a bunch on the Lucky Strikes, old Smithwick Rougue, BangOlure and Rapala Huskey Jerk .

4. Member
    Loads of good Jerkbaits on the market. Pointers are great as are 110’s. The KVD jerkbaits are fine as are the Mcstick.
    Red Sox in 6!

5. Member
    Next question
    i am going down a rip rap bank in 6 foot of water do i cast and start the jerk pause retreve or crank it down 4 or 5 cranks then start

I start retrieving immediately. One good rip and it's down to depth, and this is over open water. On a rip rap bank you'd sort of want it to gain depth over your first couple jerks to follow the contour of the bank. Plus I don't think bass are nearly as likely to hit a jerkbait when it's being retrieved steadily vs. jerked (I think Tactical Bassin has some underwater video of bass turning away from jerkbaits when they're retrieved like a crank, but slamming them when they're made to dart erratically), so if you start the retrieve by cranking it, you've wasted the first part of your cast. If the fish are tight to the bank, you're missing them entirely.

Related to the above: The biggest thing that helped me when I started fishing jerkbaits seriously is to never work them on a taut line. You always want slack. You see the pros working them and it looks like they are absolutely ripping them. While they are ripping them pretty hard, what you can't tell just from watching is that 80% of that motion is taking up the slack in the line. That's how you get them to dart really erratically. The only reason you turn the reel handle is to pick up excess slack. It's much like walking a frog or a spook. If you try to work it with the line taut, it's just going to come straight back at you. If you work it by twitching it on slack, you get that side-to-side walking motion. Same story for the jerkbait, except it's exaggerated of course. KVD has some good videos explaining this, and it makes all the difference in the world.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

7. Member
    if you were going to have 3 or 4, I would suggest this, assuming you fish clearer waters for largemouth bass and there are shad and blueback herring.

1) Megabass 110 in French Pearl US
    2) Megabass 110+1 in Go Pro Blue
    3) Megabass x80 TD trick darter suspending in Go Pro Blue
    4) Luckycraft pointer deep diver 78 in Crack.

And this will raise a fuss. I personally have about 4 boxes of all the brands, colors, sizes and yes I now the "secret color", but where I fish, these work consistently.

Also, for the MB's, I use a copoly line, 8lb, so it won't cause the bait to sink like with fluro, which can be
    good, but then you get into lots of money as you specialize presentations for the specific situation (water temps, shad kills, etc).
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

8. Member
    Drew,said it all.
    Red Sox in 6!

9. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Before you go spending a lot of money on Megabass, get some Strike King 200 series jerkbaits. Pro Blue works well just about anywhere, but get a few colors and see how the fish respond to color changes.

I fish a jerkbait faster than most, much more frantic! Find the right rod length (6’6-6’9) with a twitchy tip and a good backbone. Yes it will wear you out, but when they’re attacking it, the only thing better is topwater!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

10. Member
    thanks guys have a few baits coming

11. Member
    I only own 2 brands of jerkbaits, kvd 300 and lucky craft.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

12. Member
    The most productive two in my box are Berkley Cutter 110 SP in Perch. One's a +. 10'+ visibility.

13. Member
    If I was on death row, with one day to fish before the big day, they said one jerkbait.... It would be a rogue. Bunch on ebay for great deals. Just bought 10 here for 37$. Long A if it was summer. Husky jerk for real cold water.
    I have a bunch of lucky craft i probably should sell.

14. Member
    Berkley Cutter and Smithwick Rogue
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

15. Member
    Get a Jackall Rerange and be done with it. Cast great and they don't "blow out".

16. Member
    My fav's are the Smithwick Rattlin' Rogues. I like them in both lip sizes. Up here in MN, I like the non-suspending ones in the shallows in the spring, and also have had good luck in the fall with suspending Rogues as well.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Squire View Post
    if you were going to have 3 or 4, I would suggest this, assuming you fish clearer waters for largemouth bass and there are shad and blueback herring.

1) Megabass 110 in French Pearl US
    2) Megabass 110+1 in Go Pro Blue
    3) Megabass x80 TD trick darter suspending in Go Pro Blue
    4) Luckycraft pointer deep diver 78 in Crack.

And this will raise a fuss. I personally have about 4 boxes of all the brands, colors, sizes and yes I now the "secret color", but where I fish, these work consistently.

Also, for the MB's, I use a copoly line, 8lb, so it won't cause the bait to sink like with fluro, which can be
    good, but then you get into lots of money as you specialize presentations for the specific situation (water temps, shad kills, etc).

Thanks for this is some good info. When would you want the x80 or the luckycraft 78?
    What would be your go to colors for each of these for slightly stained water maybe 1 foot 2 foot visibility

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NumberOne View Post
    Get a Jackall Rerange and be done with it. Cast great and they don't "blow out".
    Yep.
    2017 Phoenix 618Pro