115 Johnson Fast strike Misfiring

I have a 1999 Johnson 115 Fast Strike that has been giving me some fits over the past couple months. Idles fine when first started up for the day or after its warmed up. No troubles starting either. What happens is that randomly in the hole shot or cruising or WOT it will start to what I think is a misfire. Sometimes I back off the throttle and give it more and it will go away, sometimes it won't. Get to next fishing spot turn it off, start up again and it could run fine or have the misfire problem. Coils? Power Pack? I don't think its a fuel issue. I have put 5-6 fresh batchs of fuel in it this year and the same problem exists. I have changed the spark plugs about a month ago as well. Thanks.

That is what is referred to as a sometimes problem.....sometimes we can fix them and sometimes we cannot.

It could be any of the electrical components, my guess would be the pack, keep in mind this is a guess. If you change the pack don't forget to change the EET (Electronic Eye Thingy) or optical sensor as some people refer to it.
    RUSTY63 in a Shiny Green Jacket.......

Quote Originally Posted by ELGIN View Post
    That is what is referred to as a sometimes problem.....sometimes we can fix them and sometimes we cannot.

It could be any of the electrical components, my guess would be the pack, keep in mind this is a guess. If you change the pack don't forget to change the EET (Electronic Eye Thingy) or optical sensor as some people refer to it.
    I was gonna throw power pack out there too.....Forgot about the eye thingy.... I blame everything automatically on regulator/rectifiers as they have caused me so much grief, but that isnt likely the issue.

1998 Stratos 285 Pro
    1989 Evinrude XP 150(E150STLCEM)(08199802)
    2004 Ford Explorer NBX V8
    1998 Jeep XJ 4.0L V6
    House Cat named Patches
    Remington 700, Old Cooey 12 gauge, A lot of Fishing Rods
    Some tools, garden hose with outboard attachment, 3 crow decoys, 8 Track Tape player,
    A Billy Bass, and clothing from the 80's.

4. Member
    Put a new power pack sensor and runs great again. Thanks for advise.

5. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    That damn Elgin gets lucky once in a while !!