Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Backlash, there are uses for all 3 views, just need to see what works for you.....I like Perspective mode as i troll down the bank, i can see laydowns that are not visible at the surface and can fish them (bass fishing) as needed. Also if you stop and spend time on a particular structure that is found, you can flip it to forward and really "focus" on that structure......Perspective gives a wider view of whats out in front vs Forward which is a thinner "slice".
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

2. Member
    I found a good use for Perspective view. I catch live shad for Striper fishing with a cast net. Ultra 106sv is mounted in the bow with the transducer mounted to the right. I can see the shad schools on the screen and throw the net to them. Seems to work great!

3. Banned
    ........ On the roll down I saw a pike behind a stone .... I became, Lavskopom estimated where it was .. at 1:30 ... From the second cast I took off with a roll ... I left to grow up!

Screenshot_2020-08-14_23.07.35.png20200814_161834.jpg20200814_161939.jpg

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    Backlash, there are uses for all 3 views, just need to see what works for you.....I like Perspective mode as i troll down the bank, i can see laydowns that are not visible at the surface and can fish them (bass fishing) as needed. Also if you stop and spend time on a particular structure that is found, you can flip it to forward and really "focus" on that structure......Perspective gives a wider view of whats out in front vs Forward which is a thinner "slice".
    I do exactly the same, in shallow water. If I get more than 15' I switch to Forward View. I love watching the net drop onto a school of shad...I hate watching the shad swim out from under the net!

5. Banned
    Forward mode range ...as you can see the buoy attachment cables ...90 feet and 125 feet ..........

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Royt View Post
    Unreal, lol.
    I'm glad some find perspective view useful. Again not useful to me and my style of fishing as I stated above.
    Sorry you don't like hearing about problems since the Perspective View update but definitely when all the issues with forward view started.
    Too bad Garmin decided to combine them in one transducer.
    Too bad? Perspective has nothing to do with the transducer, it’s how the black box processes the data. I suspect your and others issues with the ‘update’ have more to do with the actual water conditions. A month ago there was far less algae, pollen, weeds, insects and debris in the water. I’ve only used my LS on 2 lakes and with 2 weeks inbetween the differences are massive. Lake 1 was crystal clear 3 weeks ago and images were beautiful. Lake 2 was pea soup and it was very difficult to eliminate the noise. Lake 1 was completely different 3 weeks later. After the heat soaks in the lake, the bloom is on.

I could be wrong of course, but it doesn’t seem like anyone who’s butt-hurt about updates actually considers conditions. Watch the same video I did by buddy on the crystal clear coastal water using perspective and tell me it’s a gimmick with a straight face. 150° degree view of the bottom, live is no gimmick. Useless in some conditions sure, but name one type of sonar that’s not. Not everyone is going to find every feature useful. If you know one iota of coding, you’d understand what your saying more. Adding a feature to a firmware doesn’t alter the entire OS. Perhaps the improvement made to forward/down had flaws. Possible, although not likely, and even less likely it wouldn’t be corrected right away. Perhaps the improvement to one or more aspects, came at the expense of other aspects.
    And I can’t imagine how a roll back wouldn’t cure someone’s issues with an update. Reset the system, roll back and it’s like time travel. Not hard to understand how it “works for everyone / anyone”

7. Member
    PlayDoh,
    I'm glad your happy with Perspective and your butt is not sore.
    My butt is sore and my problems are real.
    I'm no expert but Garmin agrees with me that my issues are real. I'm working closely with them on a solution.
    I'm not a software expert either but I am aware that some things cannot be totally erased. Ask someone smarter than me that really knows software.
    Just go and enjoy your unit how you are using it and leave those of us with problems alone until Garmin can come up with a solution.

8. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Royt View Post
    and leave those of us with problems alone

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    What now?
    I didn't start this mess.
    Your a Moderator of this board. I thought that meant you would help keep some of the finger pointing and name calling and such in check and not join in. I've never called anyone on here any kind of name or didn't respect their opinion weather I agreed with it or not. Garmin has really bent over backwards working with me to resolve my issues. This is an issue for many but it shows up very well on my lake with brush on a hard bottom. Many others with similar issues have given up posting on here because someone is always bashing those of us who point out this issue. It's always our fault. We don't know how to adjust our unit of our install is incorrect, or our lake conditions, or bha, bha, bha. Never anything wrong with the software or hardware. And when all else fails resort to name calling. Welcome to modern America!

10. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Nothing....just thought that was a funny.....there was no name calling.....

Roy, have you seen any of the critical finger pointers post images of their setup? I wish they would find 20' of water with a hard bottom and try fishing 20'+ Forward..If they are out there, I haven't seen them..

I have been on Roy's boat..I have seen his problem and also his videos showing his problem(even Winchester agrees that Roy & others have a problem).

Roy probably fishes more in a week than some finger pointers fish in a month or two..

Before calling some folks "butt hurt" why don't you help find this problem instead of complaining about someone that actually has a problem..

Also, my personal opinion is that Moderators should not join in on "Poking the Bear". Don't let this be a choose sides forum...

I have had Garmin units longer that most of the "wet behind the ears" boys on this board. I had a problem with a PS-30 back years ago & it took Garmin quite a while to find the problem, but they did. I also think they will find the problem with Roy"s & others units..Be kind to those that have problems(I don't have the problem). I fish a lake that is totally different than Roy's

USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Anti Submarine Warfare Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

12. Member
    Thanks Don!

13. Member
    I don’t think hijacking irrelevant threads with piss & vinager is the way to solve anything. To me it just sounds like someone who’s got an axe to grind and wants the world to know.
    I can sympathize with legitimate issues, that would suck bad. Yet there’s a time and place for it, and it’s not “Forward or perspective” question posts.
    When you call a state of the art piece of equipment and it’s features a gimmick, just because you don’t have an immediate use for it, your just asking for it. When post after post of “Garmin sucks” is all you seem to offer, your not looking for a solution. I’m not referring to any one person.
    And if you want to be ‘left alone’ with your issues, then don’t comment about it in threads that are unrelated. I don’t see any insults or personal attacks, I just offered my thoughts on what might be the cause. I’ve been fishing for over 40 years and had sonars for decades, yet most of that means sweet diddly to LS. I don’t see how much someone fishes is relevant. If you can’t handle others opinions and retorts to your opinion, your in the wrong place. If a giggle is all it takes to trigger you, than you need to rethink your point and purpose here.
    There’s dozens of variables as to how an update seemingly caused a few people issues / problems. It’s unwise and counterproductive to just presume it’s bad software, and poor design.

You surely have learned a lot about this problem being a member of this Forum only one month. You must have done a lot of reading since March.

USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Anti Submarine Warfare Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

15. Member
    Ok. This is when the moderator needs to step in and lock the thread if it is going down this route.

16. Member
    Nah! Jeremy doesn't need to lock the thread. We get a little rough on here from time to time. One thing about it. If you give it out, you better be able to take it too. I've been on both ends; sometimes right, sometimes wrong.

The thread is already hijacked so I'll jump in.
    PlayDoh didn't do his homework or he would have seen Roy's videos that prove his case. I don't think anyone has been more resistant to the notion of a dead spot as opposed to a weak area than I have. But I did see Roy's videos and he did prove his case. Even so, as hard as I've tried I've not been able to replicate it. Right now I have two LVS32's running. One has the latest software and the other v2.20. I view them side by side on a 16" screen. When or if I can replicate what Roy has shown, I'll be glad to post it. But because I don't see it, doesn't take one thing from what Roy has proven.

IMO the separate issue about remnants of versions getting mixed whether upgrading or doing a forced reversion to an earlier release is hogwash. Pure speculation that got started based on theoretical situations on different hardware and software systems. Not one speck of proof or even one specific example to demonstrate the point. Just speculation. I do understand the theoretical possibility it as I was a programmer by profession for years. I don't buy it. If that was the problem, two alternatives jump out. It would be really easy and quick to solve or impossible to solve. So if you want to go down that road, take your pick.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

17. Member
    I haven’t done any homework on Royt’s problems at all. Nor have I stated or implied he’s incorrect in any fashion. My point is that his tone on every post I’ve seen is similar. “Garmin sucks”. Tone, not statements, and IMHO.
    I completely agree with Lwin on this remnant theory. I would strongly suspect a hardware issue, before a software issue that effects 1 in 1000 or more units.
    Im only offering my opinion, and just because you see a join date a month old, doesn’t mean I just fell off the turnip truck and just found BBC. Trust me that I’m old enough not to point fingers and suggest I know more than the next guy. Again, my point is attitude is everything.
    Your little jab at me, is no skin off my arse, but it certainly implies your maturity level.

18. Member
    DonnieG has more class in his little finger than most of us do in our entire body. You would be hard press to find a better man. End of story.
    PlayDoh, you might want to re-read some of my post. I overall love my Garmin Livescope and have stated repeatedly about how well Garmin is working with me on this.
    It is not a hardware issue. Garmin has replaced my Echomap Ultra unit, replaced my transducer twice and my black box three times with zero improvement. I tried everything they have wanted me to do with my setup. Not sure what's next.
    Good luck riding that turnip truck a little further down the road and displaying YOUR maturity level.

19. Member
    Both are valuable and I've really been enjoying using them the more time I put it. A few notes.

Perspective mode is really about shallow water and wide field of view. Its great for mostly "featureless" flats or pockets because it shows you exactly where the random features are. IT NEEDS MORE GAIN TO WORK. if you are using 60% gain on forward view you will likely need 80-85% gain to fill in the bottom structure in perspective mode. Seeing fish is not as easy, they look like they do on side imaging. That said you can move through a flat and see exactly where the cover is and cast to it. You can also cast to the dots as those are either rocks or fish. I have a M360 also, and I've found it less useful as it can't keep up in real time as you move around.

Forward view has become my main tool for understanding the topography around the boat in detail. I sweep around with the trolling motor looking for the steep transition areas, the weed line, and the bait fish schools. When the fish are really on the bait its really helpful to be able to sweep the area and locate the bait as they are always moving.

So far I've found lots of uses for the Livescope once I really committed to always be trying it. Still haven't made the M360 sing yet.

20. Member
    The gain difference between the two modes is good info. I will give it a try. I think you are correct about the fish while in perspective mode. I was fishing bluegill beds and definitely could see the beds very well. I could not see the blue gill that I was yanking off of them one cast after the next, and these were 8 to 10 inch bluegills. I did see the "dots" and knew they were fish. Forward mode I could see them swining around. Im still learning which mode I prefer even in shallow water.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast