Anyone got a bite going on?

My two spots Braidwood and Calumet Lake are pretty tough right now. I wouldn't mind hitting another lake this weekend. Anyone have a decent bite going on within two hours of I80 and I55?

2. Member
    Does plaines has been alright. Gotta jump around a lot to find them

Clinton is fish'n pretty good lately.

4. Member
    Since I fish in IL, my definition of a good bite is a lot lower standard than most people.

5. Member
    Come south and fish Egypt, Kincaid, or Crab Orchard. Egypt and Kincaid fish only during the week and early/late to avoid crowds. Crab Orchard anytime as its seldom crowded. Points off weedbeds 8'-12' have been best on Neko rig or shakyhead. Some topwater in low light conditions. About a 3-4 hour drive though for you.

/1539582139611356/permalink/2684657031770522/[/url]

Ole Mike's gotta decent bite going!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Philly; 08-10-2020 at 06:53 PM.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DylanSam View Post
    Since I fish in IL, my definition of a good bite is a lot lower standard than most people.
    Hey brother , there are tons of people in other states that would like to have a daily average of best five be the 13-18 lbs we have been seeing out of our northern illinois lakes. I'm not looking to upset the fishing gods that have blessed us with a great year up here. We are just a bit soft right now because of the summer transition and I'm looking for a change for a few weeks.

8. Member
    Very Funny Philly !!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Hey brother , there are tons of people in other states that would like to have a daily average of best five be the 13-18 lbs we have been seeing out of our northern illinois lakes. I'm not looking to upset the fishing gods that have blessed us with a great year up here. We are just a bit soft right now because of the summer transition and I'm looking for a change for a few weeks.
    Other than Braidwood, what lakes up north are pumping out 15lb+ bags? Asking for a friend.....

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by purduephigam View Post
    Other than Braidwood, what lakes up north are pumping out 15lb+ bags? Asking for a friend.....
    Calumet River Combo with Lake Calumet

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Calumet River Combo with Lake Calumet
    .....and you get the free "smells" there too... I was born and raised up there and actually learned how to fish tournaments on lake Michigan and the river back in the 80's, so that place will always be special to me even though it does lack some "ambiance"...

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly View Post
    .....and you get the free "smells" there too... I was born and raised up there and actually learned how to fish tournaments on lake Michigan and the river back in the 80's, so that place will always be special to me even though it does lack some "ambiance"...
    Whats funny Philly is when I take friends out on lake cal and the river who are from beautiful lakes like Barkley, Kentucky, guntersville and California they all get a kick out of the urban look while catching bass

13. Member
    What's the bite on Calumet? Only time I ever saw it was golfing Harborside back in the early 2000s. It's a very shallow lake, correct? Grassy? Rocky? Off-shore, shallow? Hoping this is a cranking lake but would love to learn more about it. Feel free to message me in private.

Quote Originally Posted by purduephigam View Post
    What's the bite on Calumet? Only time I ever saw it was golfing Harborside back in the early 2000s. It's a very shallow lake, correct? Grassy? Rocky? Off-shore, shallow? Hoping this is a cranking lake but would love to learn more about it. Feel free to message me in private.
    Yes, its shallow, although it does have a channel running into it. I've caught them every way that you mentioned and more. In Spring there is usually a window where they bite a jerk bait pretty good in there and a squarebill can be pretty sporty as well. The areas that are in the river adjacent to the lake can be good for smallies as well, especially in Spring. Lots of seawalls and barge tie ups to drop shot.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly View Post
    Yes, its shallow, although it does have a channel running into it. I've caught them every way that you mentioned and more. In Spring there is usually a window where they bite a jerk bait pretty good in there and a squarebill can be pretty sporty as well. The areas that are in the river adjacent to the lake can be good for smallies as well, especially in Spring. Lots of seawalls and barge tie ups to drop shot.
    What Philly said with one twist. The water is up 6 ft so you can fish all of lake calumet, calumet harbor, as well as the golf course lake. The best way to think of it is as a river backwater. Right now the fish are in a big time summer pattern and spread out on the grass.