Spark plug gap shrinking?

My motor is a 2009 250 Pro XS serial number 1B751847. I do my own maintenance every year and every time I change the plugs, I always check the gap of the old ones. When the plugs were installed, I had gapped them to .042-.044 using a wire gap tool. Once pulled, almost all the plugs are now at .036-.040. Motor never runs bad but maybe lost a little top end. This has happened with plugs bought from Mercury marine dealer and with plugs bought from Auto Parts store. Plugs are installed using a torque wrench and are not beat up on the ends. They actually look like they are burning properly; light/medium brown on the ends. Just curious if this is normal.

2. Moderator
    I don't know if it's normal but I think I've had that happen too. Can heat or wear change the gap considerably like this? Does the metal arm retain some sort of memory or something?

3. Member
    It happens, nothing you can do, but re-gap.

Thanks for the observation. That is why pro active maintenance is the best policy

Joe Perez
    Boatless white trash

5. Member
    Thanks for the replies. I’ve heard of the gap growing but not much information on shrinking. Thanks again. Guess that’s another good reason to change plugs once a year!