Thread: DS build

DS build

Hi guys , I'm going to build a casting drop shot rod... since 92 I've been using a shamano crucial ds rod.. 6'6'' med 1/8-3/8,, 6-12 fast... Im going a bit longer 6-10 to maybe 7'1"... If I use the same numbers can I expect " similar " results ?? I'm considering using a Phenx PHX-c731 mlb, f or a RS Immp 70ml-tc, ml-mf or a RS Revip 70 ml-mf... all the numbers are like the crucial... What do you guys think??? Any other blank suggestions under $100.... Thanks all .... Mychael

2. Member
    Rodgeek's b273mhxs or the b473mhxs depending on what you want to spend. Both are excellent. You can cut an inch or so off the tip them trim to the length you want within reason.. credit to Willwork4fish on this one. I had built several for myself and friends prior to see his recommendations for using it as a DS rig. Personally i cut mine to 7'

One of my favorite blanks from rodgeeks. Their own design

3. Member
    I just built my drop shot rod on a Rainshadow SB822.5

I really like it and wouldn't hesitate to get another one

I'd build it on a 7'1" M Phenix Feather. Fits right into your budget.

You can cut it down to 6'10" if you'd like or leave it 7'1" or anything in between. I've got a rod I built on this blank intending to use it for heavier stuff like small swimbaits, wacky worming, and tubes which it does well, though I quite honestly like better for drop shotting than one I built on an NFC X-ray blank (that one is on a SJ-732). Comparing the two, I think the Phenix has a "crisper" action. In general, it has a great tip for the technique down to 1/8 oz easily (and likely even a little lighter if you really wanted) and has sensitivity basically on par with the NFC (maybe a *touch* less, though that could be because I stuck an aluminum seat on the NFC), but the Phenix has more backbone after you load the tip up than the NFC which is useful for making longer casts, using heavier drop shot weights if desired, and more importantly, for controlling a fish once it's hooked. It also balances better than the NFC.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

5. Member
    Hi Drew,, did you build the phenix as a spinning or casting rod ?? and if you dont mind what was the model # of the blank ?? And where did it come from?? Thank you for you input ,,Mychael
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    I'd build it on a 7'1" M Phenix Feather. Fits right into your budget.

You can cut it down to 6'10" if you'd like or leave it 7'1" or anything in between. I've got a rod I built on this blank intending to use it for heavier stuff like small swimbaits, wacky worming, and tubes which it does well, though I quite honestly like better for drop shotting than one I built on an NFC X-ray blank (that one is on a SJ-732). Comparing the two, I think the Phenix has a "crisper" action. In general, it has a great tip for the technique down to 1/8 oz easily (and likely even a little lighter if you really wanted) and has sensitivity basically on par with the NFC (maybe a *touch* less, though that could be because I stuck an aluminum seat on the NFC), but the Phenix has more backbone after you load the tip up than the NFC which is useful for making longer casts, using heavier drop shot weights if desired, and more importantly, for controlling a fish once it's hooked. It also balances better than the NFC.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jglenn21 View Post
    Rodgeek's b273mhxs or the b473mhxs depending on what you want to spend. Both are excellent. You can cut an inch or so off the tip them trim to the length you want within reason.. credit to Willwork4fish on this one. I had built several for myself and friends prior to see his recommendations for using it as a DS rig. Personally i cut mine to 7'

One of my favorite blanks from rodgeeks. Their own design
    I don't cut the tip on the 73MHXS...only cut the tip on the glass rods. Either the B4 or C4MHXS are great dropshot blanks especially when you're throwing heavier weights when it's rough or deep. I've built a few of the B2's which aren't as sensitive but makes a great jerkbait rod.

Other good options are any of the Phenix M's in spinning, I've build some Feathers and and M1's...they're really more like ML+ on the power. Really good Ned rod too.

All that being said the Point Blank PB69MLXF is my favorite DS blank but it's $150 retail.

7. Member
    I recently built up the 73MHXS rod and it's definitely a nice rod and should fit the bill for what you're looking for.

I have 3 drop shot rods now, 2 MHX DS822.5 rods (1 first gen Hi Mod one Elite X) and one of the rod geeks. The MHX is a great blank for drop shotting, I recently caught a 7lb 4oz largemouth on it and it did very well. It's more expensive than your budget though.

Quote Originally Posted by omykee View Post
    Hi Drew,, did you build the phenix as a spinning or casting rod ?? and if you dont mind what was the model # of the blank ?? And where did it come from?? Thank you for you input ,,Mychael
    Sorry for the delay, just seeing this! I built it spinning. You can order them from Phenix or any Phenix rod dealer can order them for you.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34