Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

25 Fury vs 25 Tempest

Long story short, I run a 25 fury 3 on my phoenix 920 and see good performance from it. I was doing some reading about the tempest having a little more lift for a heavy load. So I tried a 25 tempest to see if it made any difference. The 25 tempest would not get on plane- I have not tried plugging holes, my fury doesnt have any plugs either. Are these props that different that this should be an issue?

And added piece that I'm not sure if it matters, but I used the Fat Shaft hub assembly.

Should I go up in pitch for the tempest?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, while I have a base of knowledge around props, I would consider it very basic or elementary.
    Last edited by Moneyshot; 08-06-2020 at 11:20 AM.

2. Member
    i've been told a 25 fury is same as a 26 tempest plus

3. Member
    What do you mean would not get on plane? The tempest will need plugs in it or it will blow out.
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

4. Member
    Was blowing out. Do you think there is value in adding plugs or better suited to go up in pitch?

Pitch has nothing to do with venting of the plugs...

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moneyshot View Post
    Was blowing out. Do you think there is value in adding plugs or better suited to go up in pitch?
    You must use plugs in a Tempest start with 1 in and try it if it blows out add another.
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by Moneyshot View Post
    Long story short, I run a 25 fury 3 on my phoenix 920 and see good performance from it. I was doing some reading about the tempest having a little more lift for a heavy load. So I tried a 25 tempest to see if it made any difference. The 25 tempest would not get on plane- I have not tried plugging holes, my fury doesnt have any plugs either. Are these props that different that this should be an issue?

And added piece that I'm not sure if it matters, but I used the Fat Shaft hub assembly.

Should I go up in pitch for the tempest?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, while I have a base of knowledge around props, I would consider it very basic or elementary.
    Very different, the tempest will require 1, maybe two large hole pvs plugs, it will also like about 1/2 in more height, and it will rev about 200 more rpm at the same pitch as the Fury
    It will not have as good of a hole shot and expect it to be 1 to mph slower with a normal tournament load.
    I would highly recommend having Mark Croxten or Ronnie Gilbert rework the Fury, It will then out perform the Tempest in all regards including load carried and bow lift

What motor and gear case are you running, what are the RPMs and top speed at present and what is the prop to pad measurements at present
    How heavy of a load and what are you priorities, may be neither prop is right for you, Does it have poles, A four blade may be better unless speed is a major factor
    If you get to much bow lift you will start having chine walk issues
    Pitch and Prop type would depend on info provided
    Last edited by lpugh; 08-07-2020 at 07:49 PM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    Very different, the tempest will require 1, maybe two large hole pvs plugs, it will also like about 1/2 in more height, and it will rev about 200 more rpm at the same pitch as the FuryIt will not have as good of a hole shot and expect it to be 1 to mph slower with a normal tournament load. I would highly recommend having Mark Croxten or Ronnie Gilbert rework the Fury, It will then out perform the Tempest in all regards including load carried and bow lift What motor and gear case are you running, what are the RPMs and top speed at present and what is the prop to pad measurements at presentHow heavy of a load and what are you priorities, may be neither prop is right for you, Does it have poles, A four blade may be better unless speed is a major factorIf you get to much bow lift you will start having chine walk issuesPitch and Prop type would depend on info provided
    I would like to see the fury outperform the tempest. Do you have some numbers with the worked fury? Im curious because my fourstroke is a turd with a fury. Trying to decide on worked tempest or working the fury.. Thanks

9. Member
    I have a similar issue on a post below and have worked with two very reputable prop shops.

I have found that if pitched correctly and both having custom work done so they slip less the Fury will always come up on plane faster then my Tempest regardless of how heavy the load is, however I also have found that with a VERY heavy load the Tempest is faster. I was told by both prop shops that this is ALWAYS true not the cop out posts "depends on set up" and that is is due to diameter. Both shops told me that no mater what they did to the props the Tempest would always have a slower hole shot, but run faster with the FULL LOAD. Keep in mind I'm saying with a FULL LOAD and I mean a massive FULL load. Full of gas, livewells full, 2 guys, chuck full of tackle, spare trolling motor, spare prop and four heavy plain old lead wet cell's. If I take 400 lbs out of the boat the Fury is faster.

The bottom line is two shops told me that no mater what they did to my prop there is no such thing as the hole shot of my Fury and the load carrying ability of my Tempest all in one prop and that is all due to diameter.

The one controversial Item that I have found that might make a difference is PVS plugs on a four stroke outboard. I have one prop shop that told me that if I open the pvs holes on my Tempest I might get a hole shot close to my Fury. However the other prop shop told me never run any four stroke outboard with out plugging all holes first.

Quote Originally Posted by GEEBASS2000 View Post
    I have a similar issue on a post below and have worked with two very reputable prop shops.

I have found that if pitched correctly and both having custom work done so they slip less the Fury will always come up on plane faster then my Tempest regardless of how heavy the load is, however I also have found that with a VERY heavy load the Tempest is faster. I was told by both prop shops that this is ALWAYS true not the cop out posts "depends on set up" and that is is due to diameter. Both shops told me that no mater what they did to the props the Tempest would always have a slower hole shot, but run faster with the FULL LOAD. Keep in mind I'm saying with a FULL LOAD and I mean a massive FULL load. Full of gas, livewells full, 2 guys, chuck full of tackle, spare trolling motor, spare prop and four heavy plain old lead wet cell's. If I take 400 lbs out of the boat the Fury is faster.

The bottom line is two shops told me that no mater what they did to my prop there is no such thing as the hole shot of my Fury and the load carrying ability of my Tempest all in one prop and that is all due to diameter.

The one controversial Item that I have found that might make a difference is PVS plugs on a four stroke outboard. I have one prop shop that told me that if I open the pvs holes on my Tempest I might get a hole shot close to my Fury. However the other prop shop told me never run any four stroke outboard with out plugging all holes first.
    Sounds like you need four blade such as Bravo or Fury 4
    Thank You Leon Pugh

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    Sounds like you need four blade such as Bravo or Fury 4
    I was told by the prop shops that the 4 blades would help with hole shot but would not run the top speeds that I get with the Tempest that they worked for me.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GEEBASS2000 View Post
    I have a similar issue on a post below and have worked with two very reputable prop shops. I have found that if pitched correctly and both having custom work done so they slip less the Fury will always come up on plane faster then my Tempest regardless of how heavy the load is, however I also have found that with a VERY heavy load the Tempest is faster. I was told by both prop shops that this is ALWAYS true not the cop out posts "depends on set up" and that is is due to diameter. Both shops told me that no mater what they did to the props the Tempest would always have a slower hole shot, but run faster with the FULL LOAD. Keep in mind I'm saying with a FULL LOAD and I mean a massive FULL load. Full of gas, livewells full, 2 guys, chuck full of tackle, spare trolling motor, spare prop and four heavy plain old lead wet cell's. If I take 400 lbs out of the boat the Fury is faster. The bottom line is two shops told me that no mater what they did to my prop there is no such thing as the hole shot of my Fury and the load carrying ability of my Tempest all in one prop and that is all due to diameter. The one controversial Item that I have found that might make a difference is PVS plugs on a four stroke outboard. I have one prop shop that told me that if I open the pvs holes on my Tempest I might get a hole shot close to my Fury. However the other prop shop told me never run any four stroke outboard with out plugging all holes first.
    I have all my holes open with no plugs. It is the only way i have a decent hole shot with the 4s merc and fury. two plugged with big holes sucks butt trying to get up and with livewells full would NOT get up under 10 seconds. I dont care what they say I cannot plug mine in anyway. It has to spin up some. Thought the 4s had more torque than this. Course it has been super hot!! but still not impressed. My old efi was a rocket compared to this thing.

Are you propped to achieve 6100 plus rpm? Most are trying to to run to much pitch killing the hole shot, I do agree, vent as required for the best hole shot
    Thank You Leon Pugh

14. Member
    Nope Im getting around 6k and two prop shops told me that is where the 4 stroke makes the most power and does not need to spin much over that so this is all new to me and going against everything I learned with the 2 strokes over the years.

That was true for the two strokes 59 to 6000, the new V-8 pxs motors are doing better a little higher, and 1-2 pitch sizes lower, Part of it because the gearcase provide for lower slip numbers and the peak HP is at little higher rpm

Both of you I think should have dealer check the throttle opening with a scan tool as it has been a common problem of not being set correctly when installed, the pcm controls this and has to checked with a scanner
    Last edited by lpugh; 08-12-2020 at 08:53 AM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

16. Member
    The fury I run on the boat has seen better days, it is stamped which I understand would mean it was worked before. I wonder if it can be "touched" up by Mark Croxton

call Mark and talk to him for his opinion
    have all the info about your boat, motor, loading, RPM and speed at full throttle, Describe to him what you are looking for and follow his advice. He will probably have to see your prop for finale decisions on what is needed
    Thank You Leon Pugh

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis View Post
    I have all my holes open with no plugs. It is the only way i have a decent hole shot with the 4s merc and fury. two plugged with big holes sucks butt trying to get up and with livewells full would NOT get up under 10 seconds. I dont care what they say I cannot plug mine in anyway. It has to spin up some. Thought the 4s had more torque than this. Course it has been super hot!! but still not impressed. My old efi was a rocket compared to this thing.
    You were right opened up 2 pvs holes today and it jumped out of the hole, I did have too many rpms on take off so i'm going to try only one hole open next but bottom line you were right venting helped my 4 stroke.

19. Member
    Yes, Id rather have little too many than not enough. Id rather peddle it some than take 5 minutes like a stuck turd

20. Member
    So if I want to dial the pvs in should I target 50% of wot rpm's on holeshot. For example I run 6200 to 6400 wot so on holeshot would I want 3150?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast