Prop Question on 95 482VS with 150 Intruder

Looking for recommendations on prop size for this setup. Currently has a 4-blade prop on it, and the only numbers I have found on the prop are: "F7RXS2254024", which is stamped on the edge of the front of the hub. I haven't been able to find out anything about this prop, and the boat will only run around 45mph and is turning at ~4500rpm. I have heard that a 24 Raker would be a good match for this setup, but am a little hesitant to sink $400 into a new prop without knowing if it will be the proper match. Anyone familiar with the prop I currently have, or has had experience with the 24 Raker on a similar setup?

Thanks
    1995 Ranger 482VS
    Evinrude Intruder 150

2. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    Roger Rose had good luck with a 23 or 24 Fury. Personally, I would try a 23P Renegade Bass w/ weed ring. That should give you decent hole shot, 58 mph and 5500 rpms.
    A 24P original Raker would be good. It would probably get you 58-59mph but only 5200-5300 rpms.
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

3. Member
    Thanks Headhigh. I am not necessarily looking for speed, but do want to get the motor turning in the sweet spot, which I believe is 5600-5800rpm. There is a nearby prop shop that has a brand new 23p Raker he wants $400 for. It would seem that the Renegades and Rakers are kinda hard to come by. I have found Raker HOs, but not familiar with them. I wish I could find someone who could tell me what my current prop was, but as I mentioned, the only numbers I have found are the ones I listed. Maybe I need to take a closer look to see if there are any other numbers on the prop.
    1995 Ranger 482VS
    Evinrude Intruder 150

4. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Renegade-13...AAAOSwAOdfJd0U

23P Trophy would be a good option also.
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by headhigh View Post
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Renegade-13...AAAOSwAOdfJd0U

23P Trophy would be a good option also.
    Thanks! I was under the impression I should look for a 14" or 14.5" diameter prop.
    1995 Ranger 482VS
    Evinrude Intruder 150

6. Member
    I'm running a 1993 481V with a 150 johnson Fast Strike. 23 tempest plus, good hole shot, 60.8 gps at 5400 rpms only me in the boat.

7. Member
    Oh I forgot I have a 10 inch manual JP

8. Member
    Thanks all. I have a 23p Renegade prop loaner that I am going to try as soon as I get the correct spacers for it.
    Last edited by TomF; 08-08-2020 at 09:05 AM. Reason: typo
    1995 Ranger 482VS
    Evinrude Intruder 150

9. Member
    I had a 482vs

I had both the renegade and the raker props, the renegade had a little better hole shot but the raker had all around better performance. You can find them for sale here on the forum for under 300

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J2015 View Post
    I had a 482vs

I had both the renegade and the raker props, the renegade had a little better hole shot but the raker had all around better performance. You can find them for sale here on the forum for under 300
    Thanks J2015. I hope to try rhe Renegade out tomorrow. Nearby prop shop has a NIB Raker he is asking $400 for. Would love to try one before buying. Local dealer is looking for one for me to try if the Renegade doesn't work out.
    1995 Ranger 482VS
    Evinrude Intruder 150

11. Member
    Looking at these speeds is making me wonder about my boat or the accuracy of some speeds..

I have a 1995 481v with a 175 Johnson Faststrike, 4 blade Aluminum prop (Not sure if the pitch or type) and I get 55mph with two guys and gear. With full livewells it drops to 52.. that’s at 5300rpms
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

12. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    Thanks Headhigh. I am not necessarily looking for speed, but do want to get the motor turning in the sweet spot, which I believe is 5600-5800rpm. There is a nearby prop shop that has a brand new 23p Raker he wants $400 for. It would seem that the Renegades and Rakers are kinda hard to come by. I have found Raker HOs, but not familiar with them. I wish I could find someone who could tell me what my current prop was, but as I mentioned, the only numbers I have found are the ones I listed. Maybe I need to take a closer look to see if there are any other numbers on the prop.
    If its an original Raker and its a 23 pitch then the prop has been re-pitched because original Rakers only came in even numbers. They had a 20 and 22 that was 13 spline for a small gear-case 22,24,26,28 that was 15 spline for larger gear-case. So if you ever run across a 22 original Raker you need to count the splines because if its 13 it won't work on your 150. You need a 15 spline 22 for your 150.

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    Thanks J2015. I hope to try rhe Renegade out tomorrow. Nearby prop shop has a NIB Raker he is asking $400 for. Would love to try one before buying. Local dealer is looking for one for me to try if the Renegade doesn't work out.

It is possible but I highly doubt there is very many new in the box Rakers out there. They have not been in production for several years. They started making Raker II early 2000s (03?) and still make them today. Although it can be used on any motor with the correct hardware it was designed with the Evinrude E-Tec in mind. The Raker HO is the current "new" Raker style prop and like most any prop with proper hardware it can be ran on your motor but the Raker HO was designed with the Evinrude G2 in mind. The original Raker is three generations old. It was designed when carburetor motors was the current technology. This is why I say having a new in the box Raker is possible but why would one be sitting on a shelf for so many years because they have not been in production for quite sometime. I bet its a Raker II. Now they do make a Raker II in a odd number pitch but only a 25 not 23. Raker II's come 22,24,25,26,28...Raker even only, Raker II odd pitch but only in 25 the rest are even number.

Now with all that being said I know I have help you with hardware for the Renegade and I have not wavered from the Renegade on the other post but I feel this post is appropriate to give my opinion about a Raker and Tempest since its been mentioned...in the late 80's all the way thru the late 90's I would bet 50% of 18 ft boats with a Johnson or Evinrude 150 or 175 was rigged with an original 24 Raker. There is probably thousands of those combos around so yes its a proven combo that works. Now a popular alternative I often hear is The Renegade, which you are currently trying. Another good option is a 23 Tempest. You can run a Mercury prop on a Johnson/Evinrude with proper hardware. The 23 Tempest is a known good prop for 18 ft 150/175 bass boat combo.

I would not worry about buying new. I would seek a used 24 Raker (not Raker II or Raker HO but Raker) because the Raker II and HO is more so made for direct injection motors and your motor is a carburetor motor and the Raker was designed for your era motor. Anyways find a used 24 Raker and don't worry about condition. In fact if it shows wear you can get it cheaper. I would shy away from harsh damage but would still consider light damage if the price is right. If the prop looks a little rough and the price is right jump on it. DO NOT have them ship it to you. Don't even worry about testing the prop. I would have it shipped to Mark Croxten and have him repair it. Look on his web-page at before and after pictures. He can fix a damaged prop and make a worn prop run like a new prop. He calls it a repair when you fill out a work order but in reality its a refurbish because he puts all blades back into factory specifications. There is prop guys and then there is THE PROP GUY and I can assure you Mark Croxten is THE prop guy. Just do some research here on BBC using his name and you will see how highly recommended he is. Anyways buy used have them send it to Mark for a repair and have Mark ship it to you. When you get the prop it will look and preform like a new one. If you run across the right deal you can find a 24 Raker for 150-175 if your patient and lucky. Mark's repair service is $165, shipping both ways about 30 ish so you can have a like new 24 Raker for under 400 bones. Nothing wrong with the Renegade Bass your going to test spin but a 18 ft bass boat with 150 HP and a 24 Raker goes together like peanut-butter and jelly...its just a proven good combo.

Marks website...http://www.marksprops.com/services.php

Now on the technical side if you have a jack-plate set the prop to pad at 3.5". Just make sure you keep an eye on water pressure because playing with motor height can effect water pressure. Anyways if all is healthy ie: boat not water logged and motor preforming 100% a 6" jack-plate set at 3.5" with 150 HP and a 24 Raker should get closed to 5600 rpm and 61 mph + or - a small amount.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    If its an original Raker and its a 23 pitch then the prop has been re-pitched because original Rakers only came in even numbers. They had a 20 and 22 that was 13 spline for a small gear-case 22,24,26,28 that was 15 spline for larger gear-case. So if you ever run across a 22 original Raker you need to count the splines because if its 13 it won't work on your 150. You need a 15 spline 22 for your 150.

It is possible but I highly doubt there is very many new in the box Rakers out there. They have not been in production for several years. They started making Raker II early 2000s (03?) and still make them today. Although it can be used on any motor with the correct hardware it was designed with the Evinrude E-Tec in mind. The Raker HO is the current "new" Raker style prop and like most any prop with proper hardware it can be ran on your motor but the Raker HO was designed with the Evinrude G2 in mind. The original Raker is three generations old. It was designed when carburetor motors was the current technology. This is why I say having a new in the box Raker is possible but why would one be sitting on a shelf for so many years because they have not been in production for quite sometime. I bet its a Raker II. Now they do make a Raker II in a odd number pitch but only a 25 not 23. Raker II's come 22,24,25,26,28...Raker even only, Raker II odd pitch but only in 25 the rest are even number.

Now with all that being said I know I have help you with hardware for the Renegade and I have not wavered from the Renegade on the other post but I feel this post is appropriate to give my opinion about a Raker and Tempest since its been mentioned...in the late 80's all the way thru the late 90's I would bet 50% of 18 ft boats with a Johnson or Evinrude 150 or 175 was rigged with an original 24 Raker. There is probably thousands of those combos around so yes its a proven combo that works. Now a popular alternative I often hear is The Renegade, which you are currently trying. Another good option is a 23 Tempest. You can run a Mercury prop on a Johnson/Evinrude with proper hardware. The 23 Tempest is a known good prop for 18 ft 150/175 bass boat combo.

I would not worry about buying new. I would seek a used 24 Raker (not Raker II or Raker HO but Raker) because the Raker II and HO is more so made for direct injection motors and your motor is a carburetor motor and the Raker was designed for your era motor. Anyways find a used 24 Raker and don't worry about condition. In fact if it shows wear you can get it cheaper. I would shy away from harsh damage but would still consider light damage if the price is right. If the prop looks a little rough and the price is right jump on it. DO NOT have them ship it to you. Don't even worry about testing the prop. I would have it shipped to Mark Croxten and have him repair it. Look on his web-page at before and after pictures. He can fix a damaged prop and make a worn prop run like a new prop. He calls it a repair when you fill out a work order but in reality its a refurbish because he puts all blades back into factory specifications. There is prop guys and then there is THE PROP GUY and I can assure you Mark Croxten is THE prop guy. Just do some research here on BBC using his name and you will see how highly recommended he is. Anyways buy used have them send it to Mark for a repair and have Mark ship it to you. When you get the prop it will look and preform like a new one. If you run across the right deal you can find a 24 Raker for 150-175 if your patient and lucky. Mark's repair service is $165, shipping both ways about 30 ish so you can have a like new 24 Raker for under 400 bones. Nothing wrong with the Renegade Bass your going to test spin but a 18 ft bass boat with 150 HP and a 24 Raker goes together like peanut-butter and jelly...its just a proven good combo.

Marks website...http://www.marksprops.com/services.php

Now on the technical side if you have a jack-plate set the prop to pad at 3.5". Just make sure you keep an eye on water pressure because playing with motor height can effect water pressure. Anyways if all is healthy ie: boat not water logged and motor preforming 100% a 6" jack-plate set at 3.5" with 150 HP and a 24 Raker should get closed to 5600 rpm and 61 mph + or - a small amount.

Thanks Gene. I misspoke earlier...it is a 22p Raker the prop shop has. He says he has had it on the shelf for quite a while. That is good advice about Marksprops, and it is also good to know about a Tempest being a good solution and I will certainly keep that in mind. My local dealer has a lead on a Raker for me to try, so will see where that goes before buying one.

I do not have a JP on my boat, btw.

I took the boat out today and got nearly the same results as with the original prop. So, waiting to get my hands on a Raker and see how it does.

Thanks again for taking the time to take and post the photos of the hardware, and for all of your advice and excellent suggestions!

Will keep everyone posted...

Tom
    1995 Ranger 482VS
    Evinrude Intruder 150

14. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    I wish you were closer to south central KY...I have a 24 Raker and two 24 Raker II's. I would let you test spin my spare props.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    I wish you were closer to south central KY...I have a 24 Raker and two 24 Raker II's. I would let you test spin my spare props.
    Thanks Gene. I wish I were too. My wife and I did the Kentucky Bourbon Trail a few years back and had a great time. Plan on doing it again someday.
    1995 Ranger 482VS
    Evinrude Intruder 150

16. Member
    UPDATE: Found a nice 22pitch Raker on eBay and tried it out to day. Motor was turning 5600-5700RPMs and I had it running around 54 MPH. I am sure I could probably tweak the trim a bit and get the speed up a bit, but as I have said, not really after more speed, but wanted to get the motor turning where it should be, which I think I have accomplished. Would still like to try a 24pitch Raker, but am more than satisfied with what I have now.

Thanks again to all for the support and advice!

Tom
    1995 Ranger 482VS
    Evinrude Intruder 150