Ultrex Without Heading Sensor

Does anyone know if I can use an ultrex without installing the heading sensor? Or if I can use spot lock at least without it?

2. Member
    Yes, you can. The heading sensor is only used for the "jog" function, so the motor knows where forward, left, right, and reverse are. Some will say it increases the accuracy of spotlock, but I have never seen any documentation/proof of that.

3. Member
    Awesome thank you

The heading sensor lets the ultrex know at all times what direction the boat is pointed so it does not have to move the boat to make that determination, it will help avoid a lot of unnecessary turning and movement to hold a tighter position. Without it the motor has no way of knowing which direction to turn for corrections without boat movement first
    Thank You Leon Pugh

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    The heading sensor lets the ultrex know at all times what direction the boat is pointed so it does not have to move the boat to make that determination, it will help avoid a lot of unnecessary turning and movement to hold a tighter position. Without it the motor has no way of knowing which direction to turn for corrections without boat movement first
    I respectfully disagree. The trolling motor, when in spotlock, knows exactly in which direction to thrust ITSELF (because it knows where the prop and its thrust are in relation to the GPS antenna in the head) in order to return ITSELF (not the boat) to the position matching the GPS coordinates of the spotlock. It doesn't give a rat's a$$ which way the boat is oriented. Without a heading sensor, when using the jog function, the motor could move ITSELF to ITS left very easily, but it couldn't move THE BOAT to THE BOAT'S left without knowing which way that is, which is the information the heading sensor provides.
    Last edited by granite; 08-06-2020 at 09:55 AM.

6. Member
    Why would you not install the heading sensor?
    2018 Ranger RT178
    Yamaha 75hp
    Atlas Micro Jacker
    80lb Minn Kota Ultrex

7. Member
    Well my fortrex is on my buddies boat which is broke down and the shop just finished his ultrex so thats getting slapped on my boat for a tourny. Not too worried if its not super accurate. Just as long as I can use spot lock lol

8. Member
    So to answer Piperclub I'm not going to go through the hassle to take the heading sensor off another boat when its going to be a temporary install

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by granite View Post
    I respectfully disagree. The trolling motor, when in spotlock, knows exactly in which direction to thrust ITSELF (because it knows where the prop and its thrust are in relation to the GPS antenna in the head) in order to return ITSELF (not the boat) to the position matching the GPS coordinates of the spotlock. It doesn't give a rat's a$$ which way the boat is oriented. Without a heading sensor, when using the jog function, the motor could move ITSELF to ITS left very easily, but it couldn't move THE BOAT to THE BOAT'S left without knowing which way that is, which is the information the heading sensor provides.
    I've had it installed with and without and this was my experience.
    I never thought that the jog function was that big a deal until I started using it. It really comes in handy to fine tune a position.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ-Rohlf View Post
    Well my fortrex is on my buddies boat which is broke down and the shop just finished his ultrex so thats getting slapped on my boat for a tourny. Not too worried if its not super accurate. Just as long as I can use spot lock lol
    Sounds like a pretty good trade to me! Now you need to find a place to hide your boat so he can't find it.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by granite View Post
    Sounds like a pretty good trade to me! Now you need to find a place to hide your boat so he can't find it.
    Id rather have it on his boat lol we fish a lot of team trails, 97 TR 17 or 18 PHX20...imma chose to fish from the bird lol

12. Banned
    I get it's a hassle to install but why not use/install it when you paid all that money for the unit?

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtracc View Post
    I get it's a hassle to install but why not use/install it when you paid all that money for the unit?
    RIF

14. Member
    I used my Ultrex for half a season without the heading sensor. I used spot lock a lot. I don’t use the jog function . After I installed the sensor there was no difference in how spot lock worked.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

15. Member
    Didn’t have the heading sensor when I got my new boat with Ultrex. Don’t seem to miss it.