Am I getting taken?

Repowering my 2005 Stratos 201 Pro XL from a 2005 250 hp Yamaha VMax which had a rebuilt power head installed last year when I bought the boat. Motor runs good but I’m at a point I want a quiet, dependable 4 stroke.

Looking at the 250 SS. Local price is 19,600 which includes motor, white tach with monitors, flush mount r/c box and all wiring and such. I supply a bobsmachine hydraulic jackplate and he covers all labor. My Yamaha goes to him as well.

Ive not a lot of options here in Idaho and the closest other Suzuki guy is in Washington at 5 hours and they ballparked 22,300 and don’t want the yamaha and will send it home with me. Worried if I go there and need warranty work it won’t go well here locally if you know what I mean.

I hear dream stories of guys picking up installed motors for 18k but not sure if thats the truth or not.

Thanks, Bill
    I like Big Bass, I cannot lie

2. Member
    I suggest you do the leg work and personally contact Suzuki dealers to get their prices, You might also explain how you are going to pay for it, cash (of course) or alternate means. It seems your old motor should bring $3000 at a minimum, but it helps to be able to demo it to a prospective buyer. I just bought a new 200, the dealer had to order it as most will have to. I gave him 50% down and 50% after the install.
    They have some wiggle room, if you already had a Zuke I believe they would want your trade.

I doubt the local dealer would resent you buying elsewhere because they are cheaper. He might be disappointed in himself for not price matching, but work i$ work. If I was in your shoes, the less than $20K out the door sounds pretty good, no muss no fuss. Might be fastest too.

3. Member
    That's actually not that bad to be honest with you. Back in 2017, I think that I paid close to $18k for the motor plus another $2500 for the rigging, gauges, the Suzuki NMEA 2000 engine interface cable and I also supplied a new Atlas Hydraulic JP. My dealer didn't want my old Mercury 225 Pro XS and I sold that on the side. It seems like your dealer is probably going to resell your old Yamaha motor to help offset some his labor costs and make some $$$ on the side as well.

When I was looking to repower back then, the Yamaha SHO & Evinrude ETEC G2 were both $20k for the engine and another $2500 for the rigging. I believe a new Mercury 250 Pro XS (2 stroke) was $17.5k plus labor using the old controls, but I didn't want anything to do with Mercury again.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

4. Member
    The 19,600 would be a decent price if that is out the door and it didn't include your motor. I swapped out a 2008 250 Vmax HPDI for a 250SS and was around your number without trading in my engine. My mechanic was able to sell my motor and controls on a side deal for $6500.

Quote Originally Posted by Bahala View Post
    The 19,600 would be a decent price if that is out the door and it didn't include your motor. I swapped out a 2008 250 Vmax HPDI for a 250SS and was around your number without trading in my engine. My mechanic was able to sell my motor and controls on a side deal for $6500.
    Yeah, around here resale the old motor is $6,000 to $7,000... Him keeping it is a ripoff at that price..
    1997 Stratos 295 Pro Elite DC
    2010 Mercury 200 ProXS
    Dual Lowrance Ti2's / Ghost TM

6. Member
    Got a third bid today in Portland, OR for a ballpark of 23k with me keeping the motor. Living in the great NW is more expensive than most and less boat dealers as well. I’ve been beating the bushes on selling the old motor and there just aren’t any being sold around here. A lot of boats here are jet boats and I don’t see many boats slinging a 250 outboard so I can’t control that market. Can’t wait to move south in the next couple years for more water and fishing.

Thanks for the input all, Bill
    I like Big Bass, I cannot lie

7. Member
    If you want to get it done and don't want the hassle of selling your motor, then do it. Maybe push him for the upgraded smartcraft type gauges, but if he does it for you you should be OK for servicing etc in the future. You can spend a lot of time chasing the best price rather than spending a little more for the best deal.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Darksiede View Post
    Yeah, around here resale the old motor is $6,000 to $7,000... Him keeping it is a ripoff at that price..
    Dealer ain't paying retail. Ask the local guy his matching price.
    Last edited by Ben Danbleume; 08-07-2020 at 07:31 PM.
    Wash your hands and say your prayers, cause Jesus and germs are everywhere.

9. Member
    Love to see you in a suzuki but if the vmax is running well, I'd keep it. That motor on a 201xl is amazing!! Probably one of the greatest bass boat / motor combos ever! Good eth free gas, serious battery, and Good oil and it will go forever!! Once you get that suzuki your gonna have to ride on the prop go round also. Pm me for the battery i liked on my vmax and oil...

10. Randy Walker
    $19,600 out the door for everything is a GOOD deal, besides giving up your motor. If they will not do the deal without your motor and you want another option... Call Black Point Marine in Oregon if you're willing to travel to Portland, go a little further to Hillsboro/Beaverton and save money. There's several hotels 10 minutes from the shop. It's a small family biz and Lorin and Ellery are great guys. They made everything so easy that I drove 12 hours to their shop for the job. Let them know you are traveling and they will work with you on getting you back on the road ASAP. They had me back home to Cali in 2 days!! I just bought a 250SS from them 2 months ago and everything out the door was $20,510. (motor, harness, flush mount controls, ignition, SMG4 engine gauge, buss bar, 4 blade suzuki prop and installation. They also redesigned my dash and shift/control side panel to make it all look clean.

Black Point Marine - 503-707-0706 - give them a call and see what they can do for you... I called a dozen places all over the U.S. and no shop would ship to me because of the warrany. Cali dealers wanted $23-25+K for the same exact order... Black Point was the lowest I found besides Doss marine in Carolina... $18,500 out the door, but Oregon was cheaper with travel expenses by far..

Also, I sold my 2006 250 HPDI with controls, gauges, cables, harness, oil container and T1-25 prop for $4500... If you have a new power head you should be able to get more than I did... Also, see if your local shop will pull your current motor off your boat. I paid a shop $200 to pull my motor off and bolt it to the buyers boat... then I drove to Oregon with no motor so I did not have to drive back home with HPDI in the back of my truck... Even if you need to buy an engine stand for your motor, it will be MUCH less of a headache than having to travel back home with your old motor...

Good Luck sir ~
    Last edited by onewalker; 08-10-2020 at 02:18 AM. Reason: more info