Question Replacing a shoot through hull 2D. (Densik?)

Ok, HB believes my shoot through hull 2D transducer is bad.
    What is the best way to find the shoot through 2D in my 2019 FX 21 LE?

I have installed shoot thru transducers before. But man, that bilge area
    on this boat has little to no room.

My question for Densik. (Or anyone else) How far towards the bow in that bilge must I go to
    get a chance for the best results?

Thanks!

2. Member
    Do you have the black membrane in the bilge area also?

3. Member
    It should be very close to the bilge drain and to either side of it. It could be embedded in the glass. A swift blow from a rubber mallet may knock it loose. If not heat it with a heat gun and hit it again.
    The one I replace was embedded about 1/4" into the glass. After removal I glassed even with the rest of the bilge and reused the area.
    You want to mount the new one in about the same general area. Just forward of the bilge drain there may be a raised area. This is a mat that is glassed in to mount the bilge pump and switch to. Do not mount it on the mat area.
    Make sure you are mounting it to gelcoat or glass, remove any other membrane from the mounting area. Sand the area with coarse grit sandpaper to flatten it out and rough up the surface for better epoxy adhesion.
    It is recommended to test mount it first before gluing it down. Do all of the prep work but instead of epoxy, hold it down with a small sand bag or ankle weights and test in the water. You may have to move it around slightly for the best returns.
    2018 Skeeter ZX250
    2018 Yamaha 250 SHO

4. Member
    unclesam, I think it does have the black membrane, I'll have to check it out this weekend.

Rick, thanks for the answer, I just hope I can get to it without a large disassembly operation.
    And I have done a couple in the past, if it's that tough to get to. I can see myself leaving that
    sandbag and ducer loose in the bilge and let the boat shop repair it after the fall bite is slowing down!
    So long as I can keep enough water around it without the auto bilge switching on!

5. Member
    I don't understand the keep enough water around it part?

6. Member
    You got a very good answer for mounting the transducer. As stated, I would try to keep it in the same general area that it is in now. If you go to far forward the pad will be out of the water when trimmed up and you will lose bottom at higher speeds. One question is the boat is a 19, and humminbird says its bad, the dealer should do it under warranty.

7. Member
    Also all the hosing are quick disconnect. Take a picture and remove most of them, that will give you a easy working space.

8. Member
    a quick lesson on how to disconnect would be awesome... Nevermind got it.. easy lol..
    Million dollar question how to get thru the black membrane for a new transducer?
    Last edited by unclesam321; 08-07-2020 at 09:47 AM.

9. Member
    Thanks Densik, With a little more thought and after the on the water testing
    with HB Technician on the 15th. I just might take it back to the dealer.
    I need a few weeks to pass and the heat to fade for that fall bite to start.
    So thanks for the sound advice. I am a demanding on my boats. I know that
    sooner or later, I will get everything working at the same time. I love my FX 21.
    I know I bought before the FXR got out, but I am pleased with the way my
    Skeeter fishes. Again thanks for the advice.

UncSam, when you install a shoot-Thru transducer. If you don't know where to locate the
    transducer, you find a good, likely spot. Use a weight bag,(Fill 2 old socks with sand - really old school like me)
    Put enough water in the bilge to get the transducers bottom under the water. place the transducer on your
    spot you found, put socks on top of the transducer to hold it in place when your on plane.
    Then test it on the water to make sure you are getting optimal signal,
    if not you can move the transducer to a new spot and repeat. If ya put to much water in the bilge, the
    auto bilge pump will kick off. There is a posted sticky note on the installation of transducers on the humminbird,
    sonar gps page.
    Last edited by OK_BassBum; 08-07-2020 at 04:45 PM.