2018 225 SHO Prop Shaft Thrust Washer

Anyone else seeing this problem, thrust washer keeps working up the prop shaft until prop is contacting Bearing carrier lock ring, this happened with the Yamaha 2 piece thrust washer which was locked together and stuck in the prop and on the prop shaft and the old style one piece thrust washer. Prop torqued to 40# per Yamaha.I know of at least 2 others who are seeing the same issue, is this a common problem and does anyone have a solution to it. I’m new to Yamaha and hope this is not going to be an ongoing problem. Thanks for any input.

2. Member
    Not common but not unheard of.

If my motor I would increase the torque to maybe 55 pound feet. Retorque after an hour or two of use.

3. Member
    As yam911 says....although the manual says it, 40lbs is not enough...with the high torque of the SHO. I set my torque wrench at 50lbs, then give it more until I can get the cotter pin thru the hole, so it likely ends up 55 or more. I've had no problems after 140 hours.
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO

4. Member
    Guy I know has had it happen twice now. Was fine the first year he had the motor, second year the washer failed and pulled the prop into the housing, then this year same thing happened where it failed and pulled into the housing again

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ-Rohlf View Post
    Guy I know has had it happen twice now. Was fine the first year he had the motor, second year the washer failed and pulled the prop into the housing, then this year same thing happened where it failed and pulled into the housing again
    How many pound feet did he torque the propeller nut do you know?

6. Wren
    I’m using about 50 pounds, went to remove the prop and it was stuck had to use a puller too remove prop???

7. Member
    2018 should be under warranty, I would take it to dealer.

John

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yam911 View Post
    How many pound feet did he torque the propeller nut do you know?
    Not sure the exact number he did, shop claimed that the first time it happened (failed) was from him not properly installing the prop. So then he made them install and same issue happened.

9. Member
    Just tourque the prop down tight. Forget 40-50ft lbs. I crank mine down to around 80-100 and haven't a problem since!

10. Member
    Switch it over to the Hydro Tec HD prop shaft and solid racing hub and say good by to thrust washer problems and bent shafts!

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bgibson View Post
    Just tourque the prop down tight. Forget 40-50ft lbs. I crank mine down to around 80-100 and haven't a problem since!
    +1