jack plate fluid reservoir

Put my boat (2008 Ranger Z520 Comanche) in the water and the jack plate would not raise. Removed the splash well cover and hydraulic fluid was in the compartment. Possibly a cracked reservoir. The hole to get to the jack plate motor is only 6 inches in diameter. Do I have to work through that small hole or is there another access?
    EK

2. mikesxpress
    Could be a tank crack but the cap is more suspect or a line/line connection issue. You don't say what JP?
    To service anything in that area you will need to pull the center battery, the on-board charger, and the removable bulkhead it was attached too. Lots of fun! Normally PP pumps are also mounted on that same step.

3. mikesxpress
    Might as well pull the shelf the battery was on and clean out the bilge while your there.

Just replaced the reservoir on my Bob's Jackplate. It has a seam across the bottom of the plastic tank that was cracked all across the bottom. It has been in the boat going on 10 years. The weird thing is that it has always performed perfectly and I got a screw through one of the hydraulic lines from the maintenance cover in the splashwell of my Ranger. Got new lines fabbed at a local hydraulic shop and when I installed them is when I discovered the leak in the bottom of the reservoir. bob's fixed me up with a replacement reservoir for about $35 and I am all good now.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

5. Member
    Bob's Machine Shop, Tampa, FLorida

6. Member
    Thanks for the help. Start on the project tomorrow. Wish me luck!