Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

putting an old gearcase on an etec 200?

i have a line on a 2005 etec 200 xl leg with unknown hours and a broken gearcase. the motor supposedly runs but the details are sketchy.

i own a 94 ocean runner 200 with low hours. can i put my leg on the etec at least just to run the motor before investing in a gearcase repair or replacement?

The Pro's will come along but I believe you can. Just swap out the drive shaft and the shift rod, assuming both are XL
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

Are you asking can you use the exhaust housing from a 1994 carb motor on a 2005 Etec?

The outer exhaust housing should swap but the adapter plate and exhaust tuners are different between the two, and the drive shaft is different, and the shift rod is different because one is a 4 hole gear case on the 94 and the 05 should be a magnum if its a X 25 inch model.

So if you swap the exhaust housings and put the adapter plate from the 05 in, then you need to tear down the gear case and install a new drive shaft and then purchase a new shift rod........
    Last edited by ELGIN; 08-05-2020 at 08:53 PM.
    RUSTY63 in a Shiny Green Jacket.......

4. Member
    i wasn't thinking about swapping the exhaust housing. at least i hope not.

mynidea is just temporarily swapping the lower unit to make sure the motor runs right under load before investing in a new magnum gearcase.

drive shaft and shift rod i expect to swap. it looks like the fitch era motors that came with magnums would take either housing so i am hoping that is all that is needed.

If your just installing the gear case from the carb motor the drive shaft is different, obviously one is a 20 inch and one is a 25, but the carb gear case even at 20 inch the drive shaft is shorter if I remember correctly and the shift shaft is shorter and has the wrong end on top.
    You could stick it up there and see what happens....
    Last edited by ELGIN; 08-06-2020 at 06:06 PM.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ELGIN View Post
    If your just installing the gear case from the carb motor the drive shaft is different if I remember correctly its too short, and the shift shaft is also too short and has the wrong end on top.
    You could stick it up there and see what happens....
    but i can swap over the driveshaft top piece and shift rod from the etec lower unit, no? unless the stub shaft is too short i guess.

The carb gear case shows a two piece drive shaft but the stub shafts between the two are different lengths, I cant find exactly how much difference though.

8. Member
    Just curious, what's a stub shaft ?

9. Member
    lower driveshaft = stub shaft. that's what i would call it on a truck axle, anyway. sorry if wrong term.

trying another approach. would a 2002 ficht evinrude 175 gearcase fit the etec 200 motor? seems to be a magnum leg. i can get one used.

10. Member
    No apology necessary, just never heard the term. No, the case from a 60* motor has a shorter upper driveshaft than a 90* motor.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gearcaseman View Post
    No apology necessary, just never heard the term. No, the case from a 60* motor has a shorter upper driveshaft than a 90* motor.
    thanks gearcase.

if you are referring to the 2002 ficht 175 having a different length upper driveshaft, then can i swap over the upper drive shaft / shift rod from the "bad" magnum that is already on the 2005 etec 200 to make the ficht lower unit work?

also is the 60 degree 2002 175 model magnum gearcase fitted with a different ratio or maybe less beefy gearing that won't hold up to the etec torque? i am seeing different part #s on evinrude.com for the gear set for smaller v6 models below 175. the 2002 200 and bigger motors are showing same gear set as listed for the 2005 etec.

really appreciate the help by the way.

12. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Nope both are 1.86:1 Gear ratio changes to 2:! on the V-4's the lower driveshaft is the same on most all of the product line. You can move the drive shaft and shift rod over and set the shift rod height to spec.

13. Member
    As Fred has stated, Lower driveshafts are the same for the Standard size V-6's, However the Magnum gearcase has a different lower driveshaft altogether. This doesn't mean anything as far as upper shafts go. Just remember there are 3 basic upper driveshafts existing today for any 20" length motor...early '91 and down, late '91 and up for 60* V-6's and '92 and up for 90* V-6's (Loop charged) Just to muddy up the waters a bit further, there were some V-4's made that had a 2.2:1 gear ratio with a V-6 gearcase housing. Also, the L2 cases made for a couple of years had a 1.7:1 as well as a 1.8:1 gear set. The reason I tell you this is because people are constantly changing gearcases from the "Used" inventory, and will sometimes end up with a case that might have the 2.2:1 gear set and all of a sudden their engine is turning 7000 RPM and they don't know why. It's not very often, but it's possible.

14. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Thanks Eddie! That should help out the discussion immensely.

As Fred has stated, Lower driveshafts are the same for the Standard size V-6's, However the Magnum gearcase has a different lower driveshaft altogether. This doesn't mean anything as far as upper shafts go. Just remember there are 3 basic upper driveshafts existing today for any 20" length motor...early '91 and down, late '91 and up for 60* V-6's and '92 and up for 90* V-6's (Loop charged) Just to muddy up the waters a bit further, there were some V-4's made that had a 2.2:1 gear ratio with a V-6 gearcase housing. Also, the L2 cases made for a couple of years had a 1.7:1 as well as a 1.8:1 gear set. The reason I tell you this is because people are constantly changing gearcases from the "Used" inventory, and will sometimes end up with a case that might have the 2.2:1 gear set and all of a sudden their engine is turning 7000 RPM and they don't know why. It's not very often, but it's possible.
    Thank you Eddie.

16. Member
    C'mon Guys, I haven't stirred up the waters in a long time. Can I get a pass on this one ????

17. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    NO !!! Thanks Eddie !!

I think Eddie has been reading to many JR19 posts.
    LOL
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

19. Member

thanks to you and fred. useful and interesting info.

i had a 1985 looper 120 v4 that came with the v6 gearcase at 2.25:1 or whatever it was. it was a great econmic setup for a heavy boat to be able to turn a 15.5" diameter low pitch prop for control when speed is not the key.

20. Member
    A one of a kind gearcase made for 2 years that was horrible for breaking driveshafts at the pinion gear splines. That would be one to avoid for sure !!! Sorry for the long winded speech, just trying to cover all the bases to help in your situation. I think the guys have forgiven me, so all is well. We're here to help if we can.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast