Ranger trailer single axle replacement question

Hi guys,
    I have a 91 single axle ranger trail under a 361. No known issues, other than I have the right side tire wearing on the outside edge to first groove. I replaced the hubs, added bearing buddies, and new tires in 2015. Class C tires. After reading about trailer tires, I am thinking I may need to do some more maintenance since it’s an older trailer. Ranger isn’t making axles anymore, but I thought about replacing the axle. Ranger says a 79” or 81” with 3.5” drop. I have new leaf springs and hardware I got from Ranger a while back. SO here are the questions- Should I replace the axle to be safe on long hauls. If so, where is the best place to get one, and should I stick with bearing buddies or something else. I don’t know anything about axles. Next, on the tires, I’m looking at the Goodyear Endurance D rated tires, which seem to more than cover my GVWR. I am figuring boat, motor, gas, batteries, gear, trailer, etc may be close to 2800-2900 pounds, but I may be way off. Anything else to consider?

Thanks!

2. Member
    I doubt ranger ever made axles but I honestly do not know. If you want a new axle most places will have a truck and trailer shop that could probably hook you up.

You should be able to find a Trailer Manufacturer near you that will have exactly what you need. I'd Google and then call them. I replaced one once and it wasn't difficult at all. Just make sure it's the same or greater weight rated for what you have. I'd stay with the Bearing Buddies unless you want to go to the extra expense of Vault Hubs.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

4. Member
    on Lake Hartwell in Westminster, SC 29693
    local trailer shop; ALL trailer axles are largely made by only two companies

5. mikesxpress
    The folks at Dexter help allot of trailer owners with axle replacements.

Quote Originally Posted by ecoast View Post
    local trailer shop; ALL trailer axles are largely made by only two companies
    True, but I never said they MADE them, just that they would HAVE them !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

7. Banned
    Sounds like it may just need to be straightened if tire wear is your only symptom.

8. Member
    on Lake Hartwell in Westminster, SC 29693
    Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    True, but I never said they MADE them, just that they would HAVE them !!
    you will pay FAR more from ranger than a local shop