Mica Powder finish

Mica powder in KBS diamond clear, brushed on.

2020-08-05 17.53.37.jpg

2. Member

You must put eyes on afterwards, Then KBS coat again.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    You must put eyes on afterwards, Then KBS coat again.
    Nope. I brush over the eyes with clear, then add mica to it and brush the rest. A little gets in around the edge of the eye but not really noticeable.

If you do 2 coats anyway, Why not glitter/mica in the first coat, Then eyes and the final coat? That is how I do it and it works well for me.

One coat isn't enough durability for me personally.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

Looks good!
    Brad Whitaker
    whittyoutdoors.com --- Use code BBC5 at checkout for 5% off
    Whitty Outdoors handmade crankbaits

08 Stratos 201XL 250 HO E-tec
    05 Weld-Craft 1852 semi-v 115/80 Mercury jetdrive

I just do one coat. I put enough clear in a mixing cup to do the bait and thin a little. Then brush the eyes. While still wet, I add mica to the mixing cup and brush the rest of the bait. I go pretty heavy, so I put it on the turner.

8. Member
    PURTY

9. Member
    I just came up from the basement and looked at my disabled boxes that has hundreds of lures that are oldies but goodies that go from the present to the seventies. Rebels, Poes , Norman , Bagely , Zara Spooks, fat free shads , Balsa baits and on and on.
    I would like to get some of these goodies but oldies out of rehab and back on the lake.
    Is there any particular brand of Mica powder that you recommend? I live and fish on Guntersville and occasionally fish the Coosa chain and Smith Lake. Any colors you would recommend?

Geodebasser..I am using these https://www.amazon.com/Mica-Powder-C.../dp/B07QKMYJG1
    I just pick a color that is close to the bait color. A pinch of powder goes a long ways.
    20200812_081129.jpg
    these baits have painted top and clear bottom. Then clear coat with mica.

Attachment 420472
    The walking bait in this pic has twice the amount of mica as the prop baits. The colors on these are lemon and olive vine.

12. Member
    Thanks for the tips. That will give me a project to get ready for fall fishing. Top water early has been good on a Guntersville near ledges.

13. Member
    Here's my method for pearls. I mix powdered pearls in clear Tamiya paint. It shoots fine with a medium sized tip. I get my powder from paintwithpearl.com. Huge selection of pearls and flakes. Hard to control where you put pearls in clear coat unless you are doing the entire bait, as you have done. For flake I sprinkle it from a salt shaker with most of the holes closed with tape. Use a small fan and hold the bait down wind for a random glitter effect. Move the bait where you want more or less flake. It works.