Mega 360 Interference Straight from the Horses Mouth

I talked with a Humminbird technician about how to eliminate any interference. Of course you start with the nose filter settings and find the clearest setting. If you are still getting interference, make sure your drain wire and the negative-wire runs straight through to the battery so it doesn’t get interference from any other source. That just leaves the charger which needs a choke between the battery and the charger to stop any interference from there.
    Interesting fact, the rep. said you could get a perfectly clear picture from the Mega 360 side imaging feature and still have interference from the Mega 360 image or vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by geodebasser View Post
    I talked with a Humminbird technician about how to eliminate any interference. Of course you start with the nose filter settings and find the clearest setting. If you are still getting interference, make sure your drain wire and the negative-wire runs straight through to the battery so it doesn’t get interference from any other source. That just leaves the charger which needs a choke between the battery and the charger to stop any interference from there.
    Interesting fact, the rep. said you could get a perfectly clear picture from the Mega 360 side imaging feature and still have interference from the Mega 360 image or vice versa.
    I tried everything that was recommended to help stop the interference issue. Nothing I tried made any difference. Called HB customer service and they recommended putting a ferrite ring on the 360 transducer cable. Ferrite ring was shipped with no charges and it stopped the interference 100%. I also made sure the transducer cable was completely separated from the TM power wires.
    2015 Ranger RT188 (white) * 2015 Etec 115 * Minn Kota Fortrex #80 * Humminbird Helix 12 MSI GPS G3N @ Helix 12 G4N on bow * Humminbird Helix 12 MSI GPS G3N at console * M360-MEGA Live
    Blue Water LED Red Deck Lights, LED White Light in Rod Box & Trailer Backup Lights * V-T2 Live Well Vents * Lew's Rod and Reels. Cool Foot pad on t/ motor .

Quote Originally Posted by Sammiew View Post
    I tried everything that was recommended to help stop the interference issue. Nothing I tried made any difference. Called HB customer service and they recommended putting a ferrite ring on the 360 transducer cable. Ferrite ring was shipped with no charges and it stopped the interference 100%. I also made sure the transducer cable was completely separated from the TM power wires.
    Good deal! You don't hear too many 100% success stories with getting rid of interference.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

4. Member
    I went with Noise Filter setting 2 which helped some. Then I added a ground wire to the skeg of my Ultrex and the image became 100% clear.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammiew View Post
    I bought a ferrite ring variety pack from Amazon and put them on a bunch of my power cables through out the boat just in case. It was pretty cheap and the variety pack was great for allowing me to match wire sizes.
    2020 Ranger 521L, Merc 250 Pro XS

6. Member
    I'm a little confused by this statement from HB "make sure your drain wire and the negative-wire runs straight through to the battery so it doesn’t get interference from any other source". Their installation manual says the follwowing.

If a fuse terminal is available, use crimp-on type electrical connectors (not included) that match the terminal on the fuse panel. Attach the black wire to ground (–), and the red wire to positive (+) 12 VDC power,
    and the drain/shield wire to the boat’s chassis ground terminal. Install a 1 Amp fuse (not included) for protection of the unit.

Battery Switch: Install the battery switch (not included) using the instructions provided with it. You will also need to obtain and install an inline fuse holder and a 1 Amp fuse (not included) for the protection of the unit. Attach the black
    wire to ground (-), the red wire to positive (+) 12 VDC power, and the drain/shield wire to the boat’s chassis ground terminal.

I don't see where it says to connect both the negative and drain wire directly to the battery.

I do get some interference when I press the trolling motor for my 360 but setting the noise filter to 1 fixed it. When I installed my unit I already had an accessory 12v positive/negative connection at the bow that connect to the main accessory power switch/fuse box at the console so I just used those connections but I didn't connect the drain wire to anything. So am I going to have issues if I don't connect that drain wire to anything. When I had my original 360 I didn't connect the drain wire to anything either.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyeggroll View Post
    I went with Noise Filter setting 2 which helped some. Then I added a ground wire to the skeg of my Ultrex and the image became 100% clear.
    Same here 100% clear.
    2020 BassChamps Central Lake Belton 1st - Feb 2
    2019 Media Bass Individual Champion - Richland Chambers Sep 7-8
    2019 CAST Champions - Sam Rayburn Oct 19-20
    2011 BassChamps East Region Champions-Sam Rayburn Oct 1-2

2020 Bullet 21XRS 2020 Mercury 250 ProXS 4 Stroke
    Texas Realtor
    Helping Texans buy and Sell their Homes

8. Member
    A fiberglass boat does not have a chassis that will conduct electricity, so that leaves the negative terminal of the accessory battery which usually is the starting battery. It goes without saying that you need a fuse. You are fortunate that you don’t have interference. Every boat is unique in the way accessories are wired and interference can come from a number of different things.

9. Member

Quote Originally Posted by woppercatcher View Post
    I'm a little confused by this statement from HB "make sure your drain wire and the negative-wire runs straight through to the battery so it doesn’t get interference from any other source". Their installation manual says the follwowing.

If a fuse terminal is available, use crimp-on type electrical connectors (not included) that match the terminal on the fuse panel. Attach the black wire to ground (–), and the red wire to positive (+) 12 VDC power,
    and the drain/shield wire to the boat’s chassis ground terminal. Install a 1 Amp fuse (not included) for protection of the unit.

Battery Switch: Install the battery switch (not included) using the instructions provided with it. You will also need to obtain and install an inline fuse holder and a 1 Amp fuse (not included) for the protection of the unit. Attach the black
    wire to ground (-), the red wire to positive (+) 12 VDC power, and the drain/shield wire to the boat’s chassis ground terminal.

I don't see where it says to connect both the negative and drain wire directly to the battery.

I do get some interference when I press the trolling motor for my 360 but setting the noise filter to 1 fixed it. When I installed my unit I already had an accessory 12v positive/negative connection at the bow that connect to the main accessory power switch/fuse box at the console so I just used those connections but I didn't connect the drain wire to anything. So am I going to have issues if I don't connect that drain wire to anything. When I had my original 360 I didn't connect the drain wire to anything either.
    When I installed my M360 I just twisted the ground wire and the drain wire together and attached it to the negative side of the power wire coming from the Blue Seas fuse box. The fuse box goes straight to the battery so no problems. I did this because of the rust issue they had with the screws and wet switches on some 360’s.
    2015 Ranger RT188 (white) * 2015 Etec 115 * Minn Kota Fortrex #80 * Humminbird Helix 12 MSI GPS G3N @ Helix 12 G4N on bow * Humminbird Helix 12 MSI GPS G3N at console * M360-MEGA Live
    Blue Water LED Red Deck Lights, LED White Light in Rod Box & Trailer Backup Lights * V-T2 Live Well Vents * Lew's Rod and Reels. Cool Foot pad on t/ motor .