Thread: Barn Rats...???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Barn Rats...???

Good Afternoon! I have a small Metal Barn where we have a 10'x10' Feed Room that is inside/adjacent to the two horses stalls where we keep our Hay, Feed(in metal Trash cans) and other horse supplements/supplies. The feed room has a metal rollup door and it enclosed on all sides. We continue to have a rat problem, and we have a cat that comes in but doesn't "live" in the barn. I have tried the bait stations, regular rat traps, rat poison pellets, spraying everything down with the rat deterrent, etc. I am at a loss with the exception of burning the dang thing down... We keep it clean and tidy for the most part on a daily basis. What can else can I try?

Thanks in advance!
    DTS

2. Banned
    A cat

3. Member
    12 year old neighbor kids and bb guns!!!!

4. Member
    Yea I would put something to attract them
    in a good shooting place. Get good air pellet gun. And have some fun

5. Member
    Have someone with a Ferret come visit.

6. Member
    A Ferret??

7. Member
    You may have already tried, but we have a barn with feed also. The pellets are useless from my experience. I’ve been told rats will carry the pellets to store them not eating enough to kill them. I have had good success with the bar type poison. I believe “just one bite” was the brand. I’ll look when I go feed later. Haven’t had any problem in a couple years. We keep our feed in a old freezer and supplements in metal cans on a pallet. Just break a big chunk behind the freezer and throw one under the pallet. Worked for us.

8. Member
    Get some cats that will live at the barn. And your still fighting an uphill battle.

Go round you up some snakes and throw in there

10. Banned
    Link to rid nuisances..

https://getridofyourrats.com/get-rid...s-in-the-barn/

An AffenPinscher will clear that barn out and most of the lizards or anything else moving, even in the tight corners.

https://www.akc.org/dog-breeds/affenpinscher/

Unknown-3.jpeg

Though not classified as a terrier, the Affenpinscher was originally bred to work like one. His job was to exterminate rats and other pests in German stables of the 1600s. (The name Affenpinscher is German for “monkey dog” or “ape terrier.”) Eventually, Affens were brought indoors to rid the kitchen of mice. In time, they became dual-purpose dogs: ratters by day, and by night devoted bed-warming companions for the lady of the house.

A half dozen Burmese Rock Pythons will solve all your rat problems. Be sure to get both males and females.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

12. Member
    Go to local humane society and pick up a couple small kittens. Keep them in there until they are big enough to be able to come and go. If they grow up inside there then they will stay in the immediate area. Mine deliver me presents often for their appreciation to live the life over the pound.

13. Member
    Honestly skip the cats and find a rat terrier exterminator. They would clean out the rats in short order. These dogs are just amazing.

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fx20 2011 View Post
    Honestly skip the cats and find a rat terrier exterminator. They would clean out the rats in short order. These dogs are just amazing.
    After witnessing these dogs in action, I would endorse this 110%. The rat didn't stand a chance because the dog was on top of it before the rat could even move a muscle. It was absolutely amazing to watch that dog in action.

15. Member

2005 Champion 198 DC Elite
    2005 Mercury Optimax-225hp (Serial#1B073011)

16. Member

2005 Champion 198 DC Elite
    2005 Mercury Optimax-225hp (Serial#1B073011)

The best thing to do to is to come to grips with the fact that you are always going to have a f**king rat eating your hay/feed.
    Burning the candle at both ends.

18. Member
    You’re best bet it to try all of the above to minimize the problem. Having a farm with numerous animals I’ve tried everything mentioned above. I’ve never been able to totally rid myself of those things.

19. Member
    the old green toxic antifreeze will kill them, put it in a pan , where other animals cant get to it , they will drink it , it has a sweet taste they say
    1996 Javelin 409T DC /225 Johnson Venom

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fx20 2011 View Post
    Combine the terrier with a mink to flush them out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast