Holston & French Broad??

Hey folks!

With the crowding on the lakes keeping me away on the weekend I have been thinking about going to the rivers around the area (Holston and/or French Broad).

I haven't river fished in so long it's pretty depressing lol.

Anyone have any pointers on what works/what doesn't on the river? I'm so used to throwing big worms, creature baits, drop shots, and topwater now I guess; so just looking for some tips to get me and the wife on some good river fish for an enjoyable weekend. (fishing out of a jon boat, that is)

Thanks all!

2003 Nitro NX882
    2016 Mercury 150
    GOD First! 🕇
    Bass Pro Shops, Nitro Boats, Mercury, Kastking

2. Member
    I have been researching. I heard you need a jet to get on those rivers. I also have been reading that rental kayak and tube companies have become an issue. I plan on going to the French Broad this fall.

Ott Defoe runs a jet for sure on those rivers. I know it gets skinny up that way.

I've never been past downtown Knoxville really.

2019 Triton 189 TRX
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS 4 Stroke
    6" Rapid Jack Magnum Manual Plate

That he does! I've talked to Ott a few times about his tin rig and that thing is insane.

As far as needing a jet, you do for some spots - otherwise I ain't got no problem pushing an old jon boat over some rocks by hand and then keep on going!

Last time I was on these rivers was probably about 10 or 12 years ago when a buddy of mine and I were out wading in the Holston for smallmouth - chest deep at that. But man I remember some BIG smallmouth out there. All I can remember throwing back then was worms and that's about the extent of it. I guess I have replaced that information with lake fishing knowledge as it's been so long.

2003 Nitro NX882
    2016 Mercury 150
    GOD First! 🕇

Which part of the Holston and French Broad are you looking at? Near Knoxville or further up in NE TN?
    Stroker DC21 Mercury 250 XB

Quote Originally Posted by Melton Jason View Post
    Which part of the Holston and French Broad are you looking at? Near Knoxville or further up in NE TN?
    I am looking towards the Knoxville side of it. My wife and I went on the French Broad on Saturday roundabout Sevierville area, but they were generating like something wild and current was so strong we didn't do much good.

But I also can't count out that I just need to re-learn river fishing - what to throw and where. I was throwing a structure bug, a curl tail worm, and a squarebill. My wife was throwing a squarebill and a baby brush hog. I did put one of my trusty topwaters on (that I do well with in a lake/reservoir type setting) and got one TINY largemouth to follow, but then swam away. I got some learning to do apparently!

2003 Nitro NX882
    2016 Mercury 150
    GOD First! 🕇

PM sent
    Stroker DC21 Mercury 250 XB

8. Member
    I use to fish the upper Holston above Surgoinsville and wasn't uncommon to catch over 100 smallies in one day. There's so many people floating and fishing that area now, it's tough to catch 10. It was good up to maybe a couple years ago before everyone and their brother had a kayak. The Nolichucy can still be good but you need to find fresh water, nothing around Bank's Campground. You either need a kayak or a jet boat or you won't get far. When they're on, it's a blast. October is about the best month on the rivers in my opinion.

Unfortunately I know what you mean. It's nice to see others out enjoying the outdoors but at the same time it drives me crazy places being so crowded!

Luckily the couple times I've been out to the river haven't been too many people on the water. I'm hoping to make it out this weekend and get some more practice in.

2003 Nitro NX882
    2016 Mercury 150
    GOD First! 🕇

10. BBC SPONSOR
    I like fishing the french broad this time of year, I'll run my Bullet up past John Sevier a little bit then float back down. I know a guy that says he's been to kodak rd launch. I'm not that brave
    www.bassboatelectronics.com

2008 Bullet 21XRD
    2014 Merc 250 Pro XS

Knoxville, TN

Quote Originally Posted by Chad2002xrd View Post
    I like fishing the french broad this time of year, I'll run my Bullet up past John Sevier a little bit then float back down. I know a guy that says he's been to kodak rd launch. I'm not that brave
    Wow that's awesome! I've never even been brave enough to try that. I'm assuming you probably put in under James White Pkwy and go up from there. But I might have to give that a shot. It's a lot more comfortable in a bass boat then a jon boat!

2003 Nitro NX882
    2016 Mercury 150
    GOD First! 🕇