Thread: Transom support

Transom support

Mine has been slipping as I trailer. It's at least 7 years old, do they wear out? The paint is fading where its slipping. It has the rubber V that you hold down with a rubber strap.
    1999 Stratos 273 DC
    1999 Johnson 115
    2021 Ram Limited

Get the one with the 4 rubber pads

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

Just get a motor mate...seriously worth every single penny!!!! My boat will never be without a motor mate. Can buy them lots of places, directly from motor mate or from tackle warehouse to name a few!
    Chris Shields

Quantum Fishing
    All-Terrain Tackle
    Blackfish Gear
    Power Pole
    Legit Custom Rods

4. Member
    I am on the Motormate/LocknHaul side of the transom saver/moter toter debate.

That being said I would be concerned that your transom saver slipping down your lower unit would be indicative of your motor being allowed to move or vibrate more than it should be. That could be caused by just not lowering it tight enough to the transom saver, but could also be caused by bushing and/or motor mount wear that allows slop in the system. It could also be from the release that most tilt/trim units have for releasing hydraulic pressure when something is hit by the lower unit when going fast. This could be stuck open, and allow motor to bounce up freely then down to the previously "set" point.

I had all the above happen to me with my boat purchase last year, and I would think that the bushing/motor mount wear would be the most likely cause. Usually hydraulic check valve failure is more severe than your transom saver sliding down. Mine allowed my toter to come off the roller on the trailer and spike the concrete on the drive home. All thinks worth considering, but could also just be worn toter pads that don't grip too.

5. Goby King
    Quote Originally Posted by alli ss View Post
    Get the one with the 4 rubber pads
    Those rubber pads have worn through my paint

6. Member
    I like the extreme max transom brace.
    https://www.amazon.com/Extreme-Max-3...me+max&sr=8-17
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

7. Member
    I appreciate the thoughts but I am doing OK.

I fold up a shop towel and place it between the transom saver and the lower unit. It protects the pain and I believe it lets you cinch the motor down a little tighter against the trailer.
    1994 Stratos 201 Pro XL 2004 Mercury 200 EFI