Post election predictions?

At age 71 I have a very conservative/defensive portfolio. However almost 60% of my total net worth is in stocks and bonds. I have fears on what the market will do after the election......obviously based on who might win. I’ve gotten advice that ranges from stay where you are (because people always figure out a way to make money) to turn everything into to cash and move out of the country....Ha! I’m going to certainly reduce my exposure but still debating how much. What’s your take? Please don’t make this political.......thanks.

2. Member
    Of the 60%, how much is stocks or bonds? What is the other 40% in?
    1994 Ranger 492VS
    2004 Optimax 225 - 0T920364
    6" Hydro Dynamics Manual Jack Plate
    24p Fury 4
    24v 47" Lowrance Ghost / Lowrance HDS

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by apenland01 View Post
    Of the 60%, how much is stocks or bonds? What is the other 40% in?
    60/40. Stocks/bonds. The 40% balance is real estate and cash. My goal is to preserve what I have for kids and grandkids.

4. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    I don't think the election will matter much. At worst, I think we pull back 10-20% and then move sideways for a couple years and then continue upwards. I think your age and financial situation should dictate your decisions not the election.
    Thanos was the hero

5. Member
    At 71, I hope you are enjoying life as much as possible. My parents, worked so hard to leave their children as much as possible. They always talked about doing things when they got a chance. Health caught up with them before they expected. They never really smelled the roses.

For many, the 65-75 years are critical in doing as much as possible (enjoying life).
    Travel and enjoy your hobbies, if you are able.

I appreciate my parents so much. I wish they would have done more for themselves, before they passed away.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingwillie View Post
    60/40. Stocks/bonds. The 40% balance is real estate and cash. My goal is to preserve what I have for kids and grandkids.
    That seems very reasonable and should hold up well no matter what happens...
    1994 Ranger 492VS
    2004 Optimax 225 - 0T920364
    6" Hydro Dynamics Manual Jack Plate
    24p Fury 4
    24v 47" Lowrance Ghost / Lowrance HDS

7. Member
    It is a tough predicament because if you need income from retirement assets it is tough to generate without risk. If 60/40 is meeting you needs then that is a good thing because it is a moderate risk level.

8. Member
    We are very comfortable and we were enjoying life pre Covid. I do still go to my fish camp every other week at Gville so life is good. The election year market has been consistent since year 1. However we are in uncharted waters today and I don’t think we can predict with confidence this year. I don’t have the luxury of time to recover from a significant downturn. Hence I think I will go somewhat to the sidelines until the fireworks conclude.