Steez AGS - Can or Cannot Pass A Connection Knot????

Okay, I have read all over the interwebs that the AGS guides on Daiwa rods CAN pass a connection knot, BUT on the Steez I just received, it says very clearly on a warning label attached to the rod that connection knots passed through the guides WILL damage the guides.. Is the manufacturers warning just a limit of liability claim or is this a true real statement the AGS guides are not built to handle/accept connection knots???? Feedback from those with hands on experience with this equipment would be GREATLY appreciated. Failure to handle connection knots, especially in the spinning rod world, GREATLY reduces the value/fishability of this rod (at least for me).

Thank you and tight lines!!

2. Member
    It’s just a statement by daiwa to limit their responsibility. I have the 76mml and it does just fine but I don’t exceed #20 braid and 10# leader. I’d be a little more cautious with a casting rod using larger braid and leaders exceeding 15#
    Nitro z21

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonG View Post
    It’s just a statement by daiwa to limit their responsibility. I have the 76mml and it does just fine but I don’t exceed #20 braid and 10# leader. I’d be a little more cautious with a casting rod using larger braid and leaders exceeding 15#
    Good to know. I am a 10 to 15 lb braid guy to 8 lb leader material, so connection knots are small. I do a lot of clear water fishing and as a result, I tend to run LONG leaders, in some cases, 20' of leader material. So the disclaimer of not passing connection knots through the guides as a real bummer for me.

4. Member
    There is no issues using the ags guides with leaders. Do a search here and you'll find many examples of guys using them with no issues, even with larger diameter line. I've got 4 rods with ags guides, all 2 years old and not a single problem. I do not baby them at all, and have no concerns with durability.

5. Member
    I’ve ran braid + leader through two AGS spinning rods over the last 2-3 years. Not a single issue. A well tied knot will cause you no problems. Those AGS guides are tougher than you think.
    2019 Phoenix 920 ProXP
    Mercury 250 4S ProXS

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slipknobber bot View Post
    There is no issues using the ags guides with leaders. Do a search here and you'll find many examples of guys using them with no issues, even with larger diameter line. I've got 4 rods with ags guides, all 2 years old and not a single problem. I do not baby them at all, and have no concerns with durability.
    That's what I needed to hear. Thank you.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick D View Post
    I’ve ran braid + leader through two AGS spinning rods over the last 2-3 years. Not a single issue. A well tied knot will cause you no problems. Those AGS guides are tougher than you think.
    Good to know. I'm a 10 to 15 lb braid to 8 lb leader guy pretty much all the time. So it sounds like I'll be safe.

8. Member
    All my AGS rods are casting. I have 4 elite models ( 7’9”-7’6”-7’4”ish rods 7’mmh Ehrler) I have ran 40lb braid to 16lb leader using the fg Knot and not had any trouble. Currently I’m running straight braid or FC as of now on those rods. I really enjoy the elite rods they have a great feel and balance.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Redog View Post
    All my AGS rods are casting. I have 4 elite models ( 7’9”-7’6”-7’4”ish rods 7’mmh Ehrler) I have ran 40lb braid to 16lb leader using the fg Knot and not had any trouble. Currently I’m running straight braid or FC as of now on those rods. I really enjoy the elite rods they have a great feel and balance.
    I had originally looked at the Elite rods with with the AGS (just more affordable and with different lengths, powers and actions). Have you fished any of the elite spinning rods? Thanks

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MainelySmallmouth View Post
    I had originally looked at the Elite rods with with the AGS (just more affordable and with different lengths, powers and actions). Have you fished any of the elite spinning rods? Thanks
    I own 2 7'6 mml tatula ags spinners. I use them for small swimbaits, spybaits, hair jigs, ned rigs and drop shot. Very versatile rods, very light and balanced. The steez ags is definitely a step up in sensitivity

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MainelySmallmouth View Post
    I don’t have any of the spinning models but I have handled some in stores I would definitely give them a look if I was looking for a spinning rod. I have 3 none Ags casting rods and really enjoy them as well. Also if someone is looking to buy elite or steez rods I would recommend giving the tackle Trap a shot at your business they are a fantastic group of guys to deal with top notch all the way. I actually live a few states north of Alabama and have never been to the store just found out about them on this forum, there are some good guys on this forum that gives good advice.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Redog View Post
    I don’t have any of the spinning models but I have handled some in stores I would definitely give them a look if I was looking for a spinning rod. I have 3 none Ags casting rods and really enjoy them as well. Also if someone is looking to buy elite or steez rods I would recommend giving the tackle Trap a shot at your business they are a fantastic group of guys to deal with top notch all the way. I actually live a few states north of Alabama and have never been to the store just found out about them on this forum, there are some good guys on this forum that gives good advice.
    Thank you for the feedback. I appreciate it.

13. Member
    seth feider runs braid to fc ! with the ags guides and puts heat on some fish
    beeteam

Quote Originally Posted by Nick D View Post
    Me too Nick
    Northwoods Adventures Guide Service... Michigan's Upper Peninsula

Had my hands on the ISH 7-4 yesterday... it was all I could do not to buy it. I'm pretty much an NRX/GLX guy, but have been itching to buy that one. Currently using a 916 UBR but it's a bit overkill for typical hollow body frogs imo so sometimes I go to the 844 but it's a bit underpowered for fishing the slop. Just having a hard time dropping 3 bills on a Frog Rod - as a co-angler I need versatility. What else does the 7-4 (or 7-6 for that matter) excel at?

16. Member
    thats just attorney speak...