Thread: Hammer Rods

Hammer Rods

I was looking at getting the 7'3" heavy Jak series rod from Hammer but have never been able to hold one in person. Just wondering what you guys who have used them think. Thanks.

2. Banned
    I have a few of the Tackle Trap editions. They are actually prety good rods for the money. Ones a H and ones XH

3. Moderator
    Also have a couple of the Tackle Trap editions. Nice rod for the money.

Hammer Rods are very nice rods for the money, I'll agree. They have a deeper flex to the blank and are very versatile in general. The Tackle Trap editions have full Winn grips and longer handles. Those are back in stock now in a few lengths and powers. The JAK rods are also nice, split grip, with a little longer handle than the standard version.

The Tackle Trap Edition Hammer Rods

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzefly View Post
    Hammer Rods are very nice rods for the money, I'll agree. They have a deeper flex to the blank and are very versatile in general. The Tackle Trap editions have full Winn grips and longer handles. Those are back in stock now in a few lengths and powers. The JAK rods are also nice, split grip, with a little longer handle than the standard version.

Same blank on the jak series?

Quote Originally Posted by slipknobber bot View Post
    Same blank on the jak series?
    Yes sir

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzefly View Post

I will second this. I have the "Frog" rod in the Jak series. It does have a deeper flex to the blank which I personally like. I use it for big worms and jigs which I dont want a broom stick for that application. Its got a good tip but its got the backbone.

8. Member
    I didn't like the ones I had. Much better options for about $20-$40 more per rod. A Cashion Elite is miles ahead of any Hammer rod.

9. Member
    Have the 7'3" medium heavy hammer Jak series rod. It's one of my favorite rods I have ever fished. They do fish a little lighter then your standard medium heavy.

10. Member
    Using the 7’3” Hvy for my frog and buzz bait rod. Because of that deeper flex it is a fantastic frog rod especially when using braid for those applications IMO.

11. Member
    I have multiple Hammers that I use when I want the parabolic action. I use a 7'3" MH for a jerkbait/squarebill rod, a 7'11" MH for a cranking rod, the Jak series 7'3" MH chatterbait/spinnerbait rod, Tackle Trap edition 7'6" heavy for a carolina rig rod, a 7'3 Heavy for buzzbaits, and a 7'3" Tackle Trap edition Xtra Heavy for glide baits. As mentioned, they feel about half a power lighter, but they have plenty of backbone to match their rating. I like the quality and the Winn grips. The Jak is an excellent rod as well with the cord handle.

I will say that I wouldn't use them for a bottom contact rod. I don't feel like they have quite the sensitivity for that. I started with the 7'3" MH with the intent to use it for texas rigs and small jigs, but I didn't care of the sensitivity in that application. So, I found that rod worked excellent for jerkbaits and small squarebills.
    2016 Ranger RT188, Yamaha 115 sho, dual console, 80# Ultrex, hotfoot, networked HB Solix 10 & Helix 9, Mega 360. Powertech NRS3 18p, Atlas 4" jack plate.