Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dustlane

Lithium trolling motor batteries?

Does anyone have any longer term experience with these? I need a couple batteries for my Ultrex and I’m strongly considering going the lithium route. If they are all they’re cracked up to be it may be worth the extra cost. I fish three or four days a week so they get used a lot. The weight and space savings alone is appealing. Not to mention the supposed long life.

2. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Give me a call tomorrow and I can give you some info and rather you buy from me or not,I will be happy to answer any questions you have.

call or text 910-722-0001
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

3. Member
    Not long term but I've had two 50 amp Relion's since Feb. of 2016 and they are still going strong

I bought mine in 2015. Still going strong without a single issue!

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

5. Member
    Yandina now has Lithium compatible 24 and 36 volt Trollbridge charging that connect between a Lead-Acid starting battery and Lithium trolling batteries to charge from your alternator at up to 100 amps providing freedom from shore power in most cases.

6. Member
    k2 are awesome. i got the big ones and go on and on without ever charging them, and lost a lot of weight up front enough where I gained hole shot and speed

Only one I know that has long term use was lithium pros with Ott Defoe. Ott ran a set for like 7-8 years but in 2020 he got a new set. Supposedly they were down to 80ah at full charge after all the years of use.

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    I bought mine in 2015. Still going strong without a single issue!
    That is a decent amount of time. How often do you fish? What size batteries? What brand? Have any idea on the amount of cycles? Sorry for all the questions but looking to make the switch as well, but so scared.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

9. Dustlane
    Thanks for all the info guys! Much appreciated. Time to stretch that wallet open it sounds like.

10. Member
    Not long term but I ordered 3 50AH batteries from Andy at drewcraft (who is awesome by the way) and I am glad I did. Fished last Saturday, ran the trolling motor all day, spotlocked alot and my batteries were at 76% at the end of the day. Well worth the money if you ask me.

11. Member
    I’ve been running 3 Battleborns since 2017 zero issues. Also running an Ionic 100ah for cranking battery with no issues as well.
    2005 Ranger 520DVX w/ 225 Yamaha SHO

Quote Originally Posted by JINXBASS View Post
    That is a decent amount of time. How often do you fish? What size batteries? What brand? Have any idea on the amount of cycles? Sorry for all the questions but looking to make the switch as well, but so scared.
    They are Relion 50ah (bought from hunter689) powering a 112 Fortrex. I fish at least once per week. I sold the boat last year to a fishing buddy and they are still going strong. He fishes twice week minimum. I never worn them down even on two days of fun fishing but there were light winds and no current. I have fished long tournaments and so has my son on very windy days and they always gave 100%. My son really likes to fish out in the wind on main lake points and I was truly worried about them lasting. They did and I never worried again. The installed charger is a Dual Pro with Lithium profile. I am not sure if that made a difference but it did for my confidence.

I know there is one member here who bought 50ah for his 36v TM. He fishes current AND wind they would not last all day. If you do the same, you may want to get 75ah+ batteries.
    Last edited by 06 SB; 08-07-2020 at 12:49 PM.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

13. Member
    Guys, We all spend our money the way we want, so have at it.

I personally have a hard time believing that spending somewhere north of $3,000 for batteries is money well spent.

I run Group 27 flooded batteries made by local company that I can get for about $100 each. 27's were all that would fit in my 2002 boat. The 2020 has enough room for 31's, so I'll go that way when I buy new ones this time. Usually get 4 years out of them. Been doing since 2000. I've fished two day tournaments without recharging. They always charge up over night with the NOCO anyway. I'm retired so fish 2 - 7 days a week.

Assume three batteries only. Crank batteries seem to last forever. That's $300 per change x 5 changes equals $1,500.

Buy a lot of Vision 110's and still spend less than the lithiums.

Of course I do carry a lot of weight in the back of the Skeeter, but heck, I carry a lot weight in the front of the Skeeter.

14. Member
    I run a 24 volt system and have 2 optima blue tops 31's. At the end of a long day they are done. Batteries are new and charger fully charges. I'm looking at either a power pole charge, or some other method of charge while running system. Or possibly going lithium if they last longer. Gotta get more juice for those days but don't want to go 36 v. if possible.

15. Member
    We fish a lot on the upper mississippi here in WI, your'e either in a lot of current or cutting through a lot of weeds it seems like. With the lithiums you definity dont feel like you have to keep bumping the power up on the trolling motor throughout the day. Some of the main channel stuff we fish the ultrex has to be on 7-8 just to hold you in place. I think the furthest we drained the batteries to was 45% (100AH battery) after on the trolling motor on 100 for 2 hours trying to get back with motor troubles....

16. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MCIPinkie View Post
    Guys, We all spend our money the way we want, so have at it.

I personally have a hard time believing that spending somewhere north of $3,000 for batteries is money well spent.

I run Group 27 flooded batteries made by local company that I can get for about $100 each. 27's were all that would fit in my 2002 boat. The 2020 has enough room for 31's, so I'll go that way when I buy new ones this time. Usually get 4 years out of them. Been doing since 2000. I've fished two day tournaments without recharging. They always charge up over night with the NOCO anyway. I'm retired so fish 2 - 7 days a week.

Assume three batteries only. Crank batteries seem to last forever. That's $300 per change x 5 changes equals $1,500.

Buy a lot of Vision 110's and still spend less than the lithiums.

Of course I do carry a lot of weight in the back of the Skeeter, but heck, I carry a lot weight in the front of the Skeeter.
    if you can fish a 2 day tournament with group 27 wet cell batteries without recharging, then your either sitting in pretty much one spot dragging a carolina rig
    Or you have the worlds greatest batteries.

17. Member
    Reply: Only had to do it once and conditions were favorable, to be honest, but I ran a 112 Fortrex on 3 - 5 pretty steady both days. Decided to fish at last moment. No lodging available. Slept in truck at ramp.

Not the point I was making.

I question whether or not the cost is justified for the average yahoo that fishes weekend tournaments once or twice a month. Not this one, and I can afford them. My 2020 Skeeter came with group 27 Interstates (Not my preferred battery). But I can fish daylight to dark, plug in the charger, have 4 green lights at daylight and run all day again.

My point, (joke?) was I'd rather squander my money on high dollar tackle than high dollar batteries.

Assuming my analysis is right, I could buy 50 more Vision 110's for the cost of the batteries.

18. Member
    You have that right pinkie! We all have different ways of squandering our money. I would rather by 4 of a reasonably priced stick baits than one $25 bait. I have all I need to spend on fishing. I choose a no hassle battery that will last longer than your 3 sets. Never check water, never worry about running low on power. JMHO Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

19. Banned
    I have the miller tech’s 65ah and they are unreal! just put two 10hr days and they show 75% battery life left. I can easily go another 10hr day. And my second day was windy AF...

20. Banned
    relion 100 for trolling motor, going on 3yrs and flawless

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast