GPSmap 93sv GPS delays, does not know where it is, unit shuts down on it's own

Well my GPSmap 93sv seemed to be slowing down a bit but the last two days it got worse while I was fishing Ross Barnett. You had to be right on top of the tree tops to catch crappie. I was approaching my waypoints with the screen on 20ft, into the wind, a-Scope on, Combo screen (Map/2D sonar) as soon as I would coast on top of the top I would get a bite. If I was left or right, no bites. Remembering last week's trip I had trouble, I would see the top on the A-Scope but the waypoint would be off a bit. Anyway today, while it was getting frustrated trying to get on a waypoint I had to start moving faster or the GPS would not even register that I was moving. Twice the little boat on the screen jumped say 15-20ft then my screen went black sweeping left to right. Right afterwards the unit self shutdown.

I think I will have to send it in for repair but any thoughts to the contrary are welcomed.

Panoptix is installed along with the latest updates. The only thing changed is I recently purchased Garmin's SE Lakes map and have it plugged in to the card slot.

2. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Starting with the easy stuff, how's the battery? Full charge, good connections on wiring, any connectors loose, etc.? Second have you taken out the mapping card to see if that cured the problem?
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

3. Member
    Battery is fine, dedicated Odyssey PC925 to isolate interference. Didn't think to remove map chip until writing post here. I will do and see how it works around the house here. Ross Barnett is 3 hours away and I won't be going back until the water cools off a bit.

4. Member
    After researching a bit it looks like either a Garmin Heading sensor or "new" 10hz GPS antenna vastly improves GPS performance with these older Chartplotters. My GPSmap 93sv only has a 5hz builtin GPS receiver. Since I'm very happy with the Panoptix already added my thoughts are going to adding a 10hz antenna. The Steadycast Unit is not described as 3m 9.84ft accuracy but the GPS antenna does. Assuming my unit is shutting down over the map chip do you have a opinion on either accessory addition for pinpoint performance? The Steastcast requires a NEMA 2000 network to be added and Garmin's website lists using the external Antenna recommended requiring NEMA 2000 network. Do you know if the
    GPS 19x HVS (NMEA 0183)

PART NUMBER 010-01010-00

would work? If not I can contact Garmin. It would be easier to not add a NEMA 2000 network if possible.

I have a 7600 in the shop here now that I interfaced with a BB300 Fusion stereo, Black Box, NEMA 2000, amps, speakers, etc. The Sirus receiver / Weather antenna signal was not being seen. Just the wrong port assignment in BB300. Delivering it this week.

Quote Originally Posted by rojoguio View Post
    After researching a bit it looks like either a Garmin Heading sensor or "new" 10hz GPS antenna vastly improves GPS performance with these older Chartplotters. My GPSmap 93sv only has a 5hz builtin GPS receiver. Since I'm very happy with the Panoptix already added my thoughts are going to adding a 10hz antenna. The Steadycast Unit is not described as 3m 9.84ft accuracy but the GPS antenna does. Assuming my unit is shutting down over the map chip do you have a opinion on either accessory addition for pinpoint performance? The Steastcast requires a NEMA 2000 network to be added and Garmin's website lists using the external Antenna recommended requiring NEMA 2000 network. Do you know if the
    GPS 19x HVS (NMEA 0183)

PART NUMBER 010-01010-00

would work? If not I can contact Garmin. It would be easier to not add a NEMA 2000 network if possible.

I have a 7600 in the shop here now that I interfaced with a BB300 Fusion stereo, Black Box, NEMA 2000, amps, speakers, etc. The Sirus receiver / Weather antenna signal was not being seen. Just the wrong port assignment in BB300. Delivering it this week.
    As you say, first document your unit issue/performance after removing map card. With this said, minus the issue you initially describe, yes adding a 10 Hz antenna and the SteadyCast would improve your unit performance while offshore fishing and idling over waypoints. The 10 Hz antenna will tighten up turning performance and map response as you get in tight to your waypoints. Of course, the SteadyCast heading sensor is a compass that enables your map to maintain direction (north/south) while stationary or moving slowly on trolling motor while fishing. Without a heading sensor, the map starts to spin when the boat is not moving and loses benefit of COG (course over ground) to maintain direction.
    Garmin Pro Team

6. Member
    Am I misunderstanding the two GPS antenna descriptions? It seems both antennas have a built in compass or heading sensor too. Only the antennas specifically say 3m or 9.84ft accuracy. Since the Garmin mounting, trolling motor, and power supply is within 2ft of each other the NEMA 0183 Antenna can be mounted right in-between. I'm crappie fishing, less than 20ft of water most applications, freshwater. If a NEMA 2000 network is not needed for a GPSmap 93sv to work it's a preferable addition. My little 15ft Blazer bass boat has little room for extra wires, since I isolated the trolling motor supply wiring to the Port side the Stbd side has all Garmin related wiring. From Port to Stbd there is only 3ft hull width total. Thank you for helping me before I order any equipment. I sell Garmin products but am not direct with Garmin.

Quote Originally Posted by rojoguio View Post
    Am I misunderstanding the two GPS antenna descriptions? It seems both antennas have a built in compass or heading sensor too. Only the antennas specifically say 3m or 9.84ft accuracy. Since the Garmin mounting, trolling motor, and power supply is within 2ft of each other the NEMA 0183 Antenna can be mounted right in-between. I'm crappie fishing, less than 20ft of water most applications, freshwater. If a NEMA 2000 network is not needed for a GPSmap 93sv to work it's a preferable addition. My little 15ft Blazer bass boat has little room for extra wires, since I isolated the trolling motor supply wiring to the Port side the Stbd side has all Garmin related wiring. From Port to Stbd there is only 3ft hull width total. Thank you for helping me before I order any equipment. I sell Garmin products but am not direct with Garmin.
    The 19x is only a GPS antenna, not a heading sensor. Likewise, the SteadyCast is only a heading sensor, not a GPS antenna.
    Garmin Pro Team

8. Member
    Got it. 10-4! So I order the NEMA 2000 starter kit, Heading sensor, and NEMA 2000 GPS Antenna to get the "Super Fix", Right?

9. Member
    And a "Shoe horn"