First Boat,,? What’s best?

I recently retired and have more fishing time.
    Been lurking for a while here and learned much but a pressing question for me remains..
    What kind of boat should I buy, most of my life has been trolling fishing (walleye) but I appreciate bass fishing.
    I am a machine/car guy and would love to have one of the bass boats you guys run, but not sure that this is what I need.
    i live in western PA currently and mostly fish smaller lakes and larger rivers.
    i would like to have something large enough to take on Erie (fair weather) at least a few times a year. Some of the lakes I also fish are maximum 20 hp restricted.
    I would guess that others have fought this battle, a bass boat or deep V?
    Help me with your comments,,,,

2. Member
    Budget?
    I would think that you can't have both a lake Erie boat and a max 20 hp boat and will have to choose between the two.

3. Member
    I think a deep v would suit you well. Better all around boat, can set it up for trolling if you need to, it will be smoother riding in any waves, and will do significantly better at Erie.

It wont have the speed a bass hull would have, and storage and standing room up front is less.

As for the 20hp restriction, you'll have to decide which lakes you fish more, restricted or unrestricted and go from there. a 20hp on a lake like Erie is doable, but if it kicks up you wont be able to get off the water quick enough.

4. Member
    I would say a Lund or Tracker deep v, with a 20hp being most lakes around western pa are 20hp and it’ll handle the rivers just fine. You could put a bigger motor and a smaller motor on the boat and have the best of both worlds.... or find a buddy with a bigger boat for Erie.

5. Member
    Deep V with two engines would be my choice for what you want be able to do. As mentioned, kicker will solve your 20 hp restriction. and will be perfect for trolling. You don't need a glass bass boat.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

6. Member
    i think a deep V would work and if you decide to go with a 20hp you could fish the harbors at lake erie and if you wanted to go on the main lake i would watch the weather but still not sure i would venture to far

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    Deep V with two engines would be my choice for what you want be able to do. As mentioned, kicker will solve your 20 hp restriction. and will be perfect for trolling. You don't need a glass bass boat.

8. Member
    Just like with an airplane, you have to determine what your PRIMARY mission is....

In our area there's quite the difference between what a guy chasing catfish via a trotline needs in a boat, same guy on a reservoir vs a major river, another chasing crappie, a guy who ponds hops vs oxbow lakes vs a true tournament angler chasing bass for $$$, etc.

What type of fish/fishing do you honestly prefer?

How much are you, honestly, going to fish? I know quite a few guys making payments on boats they rarely use (quite often SUBSTANTIAL payments).....very bad idea IMOP.

What are the variables involved with fishing your
    primary fisheries? Timber? Open water? Shallow? Deep?

Long runs absolutely necessary? (Don't have to tell you what can happen when making long runs in high winds/stormy weather) A bass fishing hall of famer told me a story of fishing a tournament on the Great Lakes. He was a young angler, needed the money, and was in position to win the tournament. On the final day the weather was awful, but, needing the money he decided to take the chance of running big water, in bad weather, to get to some fish he was on....most chose to stay close to the marina. On the way back to the weigh in, with a limit, the top cap of his tournament bass boat separated from the lower.

Fortunately, he, his observer, and the boat survived...the boat to be repaired. Btw, he finished 2nd or 3rd.

On water fuel availability? Does your home water require long runs? If so you'd better have enough fuel on board or fuel available on your home water.....no fun to run dry.

Trolling or casting your true preference?
    Etc Etc Etc

REALLY think about it and determine YOUR primary mission....

Then you can figure out the boat you need to satisfy your needs.

Quite often ya have to own 2 or 3 different boats in order to accomplish different missions.....just like with airplanes. A savvy buyer who has done their due diligence can quite often buy 3 used boats, in great shape, for LESS than the cost of 1 boat.... sometimes spend way, way less money. $50k to $70k+ will buy several outstanding used boats.... Heck, $20k will....
    Last edited by Slicefixer; 08-07-2020 at 09:31 PM.

I think the above is good info, gotta know what your primary needs are. From there you can look at all of the boats you want to make a decision.

I'm actually considering an airplane purchase, and the above is true.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

10. Member
    For the small 20hp lakes would probably be best to spend money on a used small tin rig with a 20hp motor That is easy to maintain, then set your sights on A bigger rig to handle the bigger waters. Not saying a 16’ deep V won’t do both, but not sure what exactly your target is. If I’m going on big rivers and lakes, I want the most boat I can afford as the family will feel safer with the bigger boat and horsepower in case things end up getting crazy.

11. Member
    I think a deep V with a kicker motor would be ideal. Many of them have incredible front decks that rival or are better than some bass boats. It would be suitable for Lake Erie and you would be able to use the kicker motor on the 20 hp restricted lakes. Best of both worlds in my opinion. They are available in many sizes and price ranges.

12. Member
    Since you are retired I assume you are not young(er). I would buy a used fiberglass bass boat for the safety and stability. If necessary, a tin rig or auxiliary motor bracket for low horsepower lakes.

I started in a Prinecraft Aluminum Pro Series, and many occasions would like to still have it.

So versatile, easy to tow, cheap on fuel....

1998 Stratos 285 Pro
    1989 Evinrude XP 150(E150STLCEM)(08199802)
    2004 Ford Explorer NBX V8
    1998 Jeep XJ 4.0L V6
    House Cat named Patches
    Remington 700, Old Cooey 12 gauge, A lot of Fishing Rods
    Some tools, garden hose with outboard attachment, 3 crow decoys, 8 Track Tape player,
    A Billy Bass, and clothing from the 80's.

14. Member
    Thanks
    your comments are appreciated.
    I’m thinking a Ranger 618 to 620 VS w a kicker motor would do everything I want.
    big enough for Erie on nice days ?