Thread: Tatula sv 2020?

Tatula sv 2020?

Thought I remembered seeing a thread about this reel but wasn’t able to find it... anybody have any reviews? How does it compare to the previous model of tatula sv?

2. Member
    it's a compact version of the previous tatula CT. it's been well received.

3. Member
    I personally prefer the Tatula elite reels. Not quite as forgiving but they cast much farther.

I'm actually really impressed with the improvements over the original SV. I didn't think it would be much better given how good the previous version was. It's smoother, casts further, and is even harder to backlash (though the folks that say it's impossible to backlash are full of it). It honestly feels very, very similar to the couple year old Zillion SV TWS I have. An additional thing that I really like is that the magnetic brake dial is stiffer so it doesn't get accidentally changed around on you.

The only downfall is that it's not the longest casting reel out there nor does it hold the most line, but that's not why you buy a reel with an SV spool anyhow. You can still cast it pretty far and it holds enough line for just about anything, in my opinion.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    I'm actually really impressed with the improvements over the original SV. I didn't think it would be much better given how good the previous version was. It's smoother, casts further, and is even harder to backlash (though the folks that say it's impossible to backlash are full of it). It honestly feels very, very similar to the couple year old Zillion SV TWS I have. An additional thing that I really like is that the magnetic brake dial is stiffer so it doesn't get accidentally changed around on you.

The only downfall is that it's not the longest casting reel out there nor does it hold the most line, but that's not why you buy a reel with an SV spool anyhow. You can still cast it pretty far and it holds enough line for just about anything, in my opinion.
    Thank you. Thought I was the only one able to backlash an SV spooled reel. I feel much better now.

6. Member
    Thanks for the replies. Do you think this reel would cast as far as the previous version of the reel or less? I’m just trying to compare it to a reel I’ve fished before!

I would say that it casts a little further.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

8. Member
    Ended up buying the 2020 version. I do like the little bit smaller profile and it seems smooth. My only complaint is that I’m having a tougher time dialing in this reel than the 2017 version. The 2017 version was fool proof. Still learning this reel though.

Quote Originally Posted by new2BC4bass View Post
    Thank you. Thought I was the only one able to backlash an SV spooled reel. I feel much better now.
    Oh no, you ain't the only one. They will defiantly backlash.
    USMC Vet!

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jamey1e View Post
    Oh no, you ain't the only one. They will defiantly backlash.
    Yeah for some reason the newer version seems a bit more finicky and I’m having trouble finding that sweet spot between too much braking power and too little. Could just be me though.

My 2017 Tatula sv skips like a champ.

11. Member
    I’m in the club,don’t backlash often with the Tat but it has happened
    Red Sox in 6!

12. Member
    what's a backlash?

Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    An additional thing that I really like is that the magnetic brake dial is stiffer so it doesn't get accidentally changed around on you.
    The best improvement!

14. Member
    I have all of the Tatulas (SV, Coastal SV, Elite and Elite PF) as well as all current Steez models.

I think for the price the 2020 Tatula SV is a good all around reel. It covers lighter lures (I would say down to 1/8oz + plastic) rather confident and can also cast heavier lures (I would say up to 1.5oz) ok. One area where it falls quite a bit behind the other Tatula versions is the noise on the cast. I feel it is noticeably louder than the other reels. Which might only be my version.

For the money I would look at the Daiwa Coastal SV. Casts lighter lures almost as well and is just the more refined reel imo.

Cheers!

15. Member
    Mine was pretty loud on the cast too right out of the box. Opened it up and added some reel oil and it’s working and sounding a lot better now.