Jon Boat/Bass Boat Question

I own two boats, a fiberglass bass boat and a Jon boat which I use on smaller lakes. I'm getting tired of switching rods, tackle, and other necessities back and forth, so for guys that have two boats, do you just deal with the transferring of equipment from one boat to the other, or do you just by duplicates of everything to eliminate the back and forth process?

2. Member
    That depends . Do you fish TX . Are just a week end fisherman? If i was just a week end fisher . I would take every thing out of both boats . Then what boat i plenty on using that day or lake add to fish that day or so . Sot of like a big day box .

3. Member
    I keep all of my tackle in my big boat. When we use the little boat, I just grab a few items from the big boat and throw them in a couple of 3600's for the little boat. I also only bring two or three rods in the little boat.

4. Member
    Honestly I’ve broken more rods and kicked more rods/reels overboard in John boats over the decades that I take “B team” equipment. No way does it get my good stuff.

if I didn’t have B team stuff I would just transfer stuff.

I keep everything in my bass boat, and replenish my tackle out of my main tackle stores. I have a separate travel tackle bag with 3-4 Plano boxes in it, and move my rod/reel combos between boats as needed. Rods and reels travel in rod and reel covers, and I added a strip of carpet along the edges of the jonboat seating areas where I stow my rods while fishing. Keeps them from getting scuffed up.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

6. Member
    I have all the tackle I need in both boats. The only thing I move is the rods which I remove from boat after each trip. I don't carry as much tackle in my G3 as I do my Bass Cat as it is more body water specific such as backwaters in rivers, small lakes and ponds. Rods are the only thing I need to load in either boat.
    Last edited by Cape Fear; 08-05-2020 at 02:16 PM.
    2007 Bass Cat Pantera IV
    2018 G3 Sportsman 1710

It isn’t that expensive to have a travel tackle pack. I have 3 of them, two of them are like the gym bag style each hold 4-3700 boxes with pockets on the outside. The other one holds 7 - 3700 boxes. Load them according to the type of fishing you do with the tin boat.

8. Banned
    I have 2 sets. The jon boat set is paired down and kept in a travel bag. It has the essentials. If I am taking that to a specific lake or typ eof lake with a particular bite, I will grab an extra box from the big boat. I keep a secondary set of rods in the jon boat as well....older stuff that I "retired" from the big boat.

My "second boat" is a kayak. I have separate tackle and rods and reels. None of them very expensive.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

10. Member
    I’m doing the same thing as the OP. Have my bass boat then a 12’ jon boat I use for small lakes and places with car top only launches. I just go through pick the stuff I want, throw them in a Tackle backpack and put soft plastics in a Plano shoebox type container. I carry less tackle when I go through my stuff before each trip. Only use 1/20th of the stuff I bring anyways. Then when I’m done I just put the tackle back in the fishing room. I never keep my tackle in the boat full time. At the end of the day, all tackle, rods and reels, and fish finders come inside with me.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

11. Banned
    I keep a couple of rods and some basic soft plastics and hooks/ weights in the aluminum boat. If I am taking the aluminum boat, I may grab a spinnerbait box, topwater box, e.t.c, out of the bass boat if I think I'll need it. But as a whole, the bulk of my tackle stays in the bass boat.

12. Member
    Same tackle box, separate set of rods in a travel bag.
    Do not take your half in the middle ....

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by madmurph View Post
    I keep all of my tackle in my big boat. When we use the little boat, I just grab a few items from the big boat and throw them in a couple of 3600's for the little boat. I also only bring two or three rods in the little boat.
    I do the same