Easy Way to Fix Deck Lid?

Not surprisingly I do not have experience with my problem. My Z20 is just 15 years old and this my first request for help on a boat repair. I need guidance to avoid creating a bigger problem. What is the best way to secure the piano hinge to the deck lid and deck? Doesn’t appear to be a lot of working room and I assume nuts and bolts are out of the question. The screws and holes are in good shape, but the rivets are shot and I assume the rivet holes have been enlarged.

large.jpg large.jpg
    ‘22 Ranger Z520R - Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Humminbird/Minn Kota One Boat Network

2. Member
    That’s not a big problem. The lids are foam core,two layers of glass with foam in between. Use a small,punch or blunt nail to drive the rivet studs into the foam and replace with 3/16” x 1/2” rivets. There is a stainless strip imbedded in the lid that the rivets grip to,it’s unlikely that the holes in the stainless have enlarged.

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Bass View Post
    That’s not a big problem. The lids are foam core,two layers of glass with foam in between. Use a small,punch or blunt nail to drive the rivet studs into the foam and replace with 3/16” x 1/2” rivets. There is a stainless strip imbedded in the lid that the rivets grip to,it’s unlikely that the holes in the stainless have enlarged.
    Thank you kind sir. I assume I need to insert the rivets to the lid first.

4. Member
    Use a stainless backing washer on the side opposite of the rivet entry and it will last forever.

5. Member
    Use some of these. I found some at Fastenal. I used these when I recarpeted my last boat. They form their own washer on the back side of the riveted surface. https://www.far.bo.it/en/products/bl...th-gasket.html

Thanks for the info guys. I plan on trying to get it done tomorrow.

Remove the hinge from the Boat. Drill your old rivets out of the lid. Next drill those holes out to 1/4". You'll need to drill the lid side of the hinge also. Install the hinge to the lid first using a 14" x 1/2" ALUMINUM Rivet. Then screw the hinge to the boat. I used an Air Rivet Tool from Harbor Freight. Makes the job a whole lot easier and tighter. PLUS, I've used it on many other projects too !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyeggroll View Post
    Use a stainless backing washer on the side opposite of the rivet entry and it will last forever.
    Backside is not accessible on Ranger lids

9. Member
    I did this about a year ago and it worked well. I got the riveter and rivets from Harbor Freight for cheap.

----
    Ranger z21
    Mercury Pro XS 250
    Lowrance HDS Live 12 and HDS Touch 9
    Ultrex 112 lb

10. Member
    I just did this on my boat for the main middle compartment. Depending on the hatch, you probably won't be able to get a washer behind the rivet. If you could, I go with screws and lock washers. I was able to get two screws/lock washers on mine by using the hole for the seat pole hole to sneak a nut up into from the underside. Actually thought about drilling holes in the foam from underneath so I can do that for all of them, but that's a lot of work. I wanted to go with the larger 1/4" rivets, but my rivet gun wouldn't punch a rivet that big and I didn't want to buy the air rivet gun for 6 holes. A guy on the board sent me a PM and said he used those blue push in plugs that you put in drywall and said his held up for years that way. Had nothing to lose and gave it a dry and they do seem to be working well. Had I known there was a rivet like the one DAVE540 posted below, I would go that route, assuming you don't need to buy a special gun to use them. They look pretty stout.

Got her done, not bad at all. Put in a couple extra rivets on the shock side to make sure it lasts another 15 years. Next project is tightening up the fenders on the trailer.

Thanks to all!!!