Trim indication not correct on my ranger

I have a 1993 ranger with a 140 suzuki outboard, my trim indicaction is just not rite driving me crazy Im just wondering if anyone has an idea if there is a way to adjust it or if something needs to be replaced

2. Member
    How do you know it is wrong? Mine is just a series of lines that really don't mean anything. All I know is which lines I normally run at.
    Chris

2020 Nitro Z19 Pro w/ 200 ProXS

3. Member
    Mine is a needle that from up to down when it hits all the way down the motor still trims down for several seconds before stopping and on it's way up it stops somewhere between half way and three quarters

4. Member
    I've had my boat for 23 yrs with the original trim gauge. I rarely even look at it. I listen to the sound the trim motor makes to know where the motor is trimmed.

5. Member
    I've been doing that trimming down but when I trim up the motor will trim out of the water to the point it starts to over rev if the gauge worked rite I could stop just shy of that happening

Should be able to feel when the boat is trimmed out "right". Haven't had a working trim gauge in years.

If like mine, the sender should have 1 bolt thru a regular mounting hole and a curved slot with bolt thru it. Loosen both slightly, rotate sender slightly in direction needed. Snug back up. Test - repeat as needed.

Even if you are able to adjust the sending unit so that the gauge more accurately reflects the position of the motor, a trim gauge is kind of like a boat speedometer. It's never going to give you an exact reading, just a ballpark reading. The right trim angle is all about feel and watching your tach. When you gain RPM's but no more speed, you're trimmed too high. Then, trim it down until you begin losing speed and you're where you need to be.
    Last edited by Jeff Hahn; 08-06-2020 at 03:44 AM.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Just drive by feel....trim indicator is useless.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

When I re-powered the trim gauge on my new motor was not in sync with my gauge. On the motor I found the sending unit and adjusted it. To the best of my memory there was an plastic arm that was spring loaded that made contact with the motor. As it compresses the gauge goes down and as it releases the gauge goes up. Where the unit was mounted I was able to loosen it and rotate it some and got a better reading. With the motor all the way down I am still about 20% on my gauge. I have just learned where the needle is when the motor is all the way down. When at full trim up my needle is at 100%. To me its more important to know full trim up because that is what I am looking at running down the lake. When running wide open throttle I go buy feel but when cruising at 4000 I know exactly where to be on the gauge and have the best control of the boat. When trimming full down I am always at idle so if the gauge is not 100% accurate at idle I can live with it. I just listen to the motor and can tell when I am full trim down but running down the lake I can't hear trim up so I want my gauge to be accurate...find your sending unit and see if you can adjust it.

I doubt very seriously if an E-Tec and Suzuki are made the same but here is a diagram with an exploded view of what I am talking about. Maybe you can find something similiar on your motor. Use the cursor to move the picture around and zoom in/out...loosen #50, twist #41 and this moves the contact point for #44

https://www.boats.net/catalog/evinru...swivel-bracket
    Last edited by JR19; 08-04-2020 at 08:31 PM.

10. Banned
    I have a 2017 Suzuki 140, and trim gauge is not accurate, because of the sending unit on motor/tilt tube being inaccurate. I haven’t relied on my trim gauge for many years.
    Like above posts say, I go by “feel”. You feel the boat and it’s performance. After over 35 years behind the wheel of bassboats, it comes VERY natural too me.

I generally turn my head to tuck under, trim up as I come out of hole, and go by feel maybe need to trim back a touch for sweet spot.

1998 Stratos 285 Pro
    1989 Evinrude XP 150(E150STLCEM)(08199802)
    2004 Ford Explorer NBX V8
    1998 Jeep XJ 4.0L V6
    House Cat named Patches
    Remington 700, Old Cooey 12 gauge, A lot of Fishing Rods
    Some tools, garden hose with outboard attachment, 3 crow decoys, 8 Track Tape player,
    A Billy Bass, and clothing from the 80's.